False ultrasounds

adrmaxine

Hi, 

I took my 3 year old St Bernard to the vet today for an ultrasound. 

Today she would be around 41 days. 
Well the ultrasound they did, they couldn’t find anything? Has anyone else ever experienced a incorrect ultrasound. Where their dog was still pregnant? My studs owner said her female didn’t start showing till 45 days. She really isn’t showing any signs other than not really eat, and more lazy in my opinion. People say she looks bigger but I see her everyday so I don’t really notice a difference. I would say maybe her boobs are a little more saggy... any advice. Anything anyone has ever went through. They still want me to go back for the X-ray. That also did say she wasn’t the easiest dog to ultrasound. 

Edited by adrmaxine

It can be very hard to pick up pups on an ultrasound. If your dog is pregnant she may be only having one or two. But she is a large breed and was difficult to scan. You could rescan her in a weeks time or get a blood test done to see what her hormones levels are at or wait until the xray. And I would xray just so you know what you are actually dealing with. One pup often doesn't trigger labour. My first litter was only 2 pups. Greyhound. Now there is nowhere to hide anything on a Greyhound and I took weekly photos and yes you can see a slight change in shape and weight as time went by but being obvious? Didn't happen until at least 7 weeks and even then most people would have thought she was just getting a bit fat.

Not every mating produces pups. Cross your fingers, hope like hell and xray at the correct time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much guys! I really am praying she is. This is our first litter and the excitement is unreal. People try to take our girl home all time is why we decided to breed her so we are really hoping for the best. My hopes were so broken yesterday so I’m just going to keep waiting and hoping the xray shows different. I go back October 2nd, which it 7 days before her due date. So finger crossed! I will keep you all updated. 

Edited by adrmaxine
  • Like 1

When I was breeding (Labradors, so fairly large) I lived near the Murdoch Uni Vet School. They had top grade equipment and radiographers.  My girls pretty consistently had 9 or more pups.  They never miscounted by more than one. BUT I don't think they wouldn't even attempt a count at 41 days.  I always booked for 31. Ultrasound depends on amniotic fluids to work.  By 41 days the pups take up too much room in the uterus for effective scanning... or so I understand it

• Like 3