Help!!! What's this?

Maybe777

Hi, 

We are recently added a poodle pup from registered breeder to our family, he is a nice pup but I noticed this on his belly. 

I rang the breeder and she said it's not hernia but just an awkward belly button! He had all his 3 shots when we got him so haven't been to a vet yet. 

The more I look at it, the more it's looking like a hernia, I know it's not a big deal as he is just a pet but the problem is my husband will absolutely Flip Out!!! 

We paid a really pretty penny (post Covid prices) for him and it took a lot of convincing to get him to say Yes (even a few massive arguments) . It's going to come down to the breeder's integrity and he will likely take it as the breeder trying to take us for idiots. 

So before I raise it with him, can you lovely people look at the pictureIMG_20200924_141636.thumb.jpg.ec7a2487755e4e356055959f305594f8.jpg? Is it normal or how common for poodles to have hernias? Sometimes it's visible in some poses and sometimes its not. It's tiny pea sized. I can feel like it pops back in if pushed back and the pup is not bothered!  Or is it really an awkward belly button and I am over thinking it??? 

Help please.

Thanks in advance!! 

IMG_20200924_135921_1.jpg

"awkward belly button" ? Hmmm.
just looks like a little umbilical hernia - ditto to fixing when dog is castrated  :) No need for husband to "flip out" ...they are very common .
Did the vet not pick it up on your "hey, we just got a new puppy, can you give him the 'once-over' check please" visit?
if the vet wasn't concerned enough to mention it - I wouldn't worry too much either :)

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

I'm not a breeder and have never heard of awkward belly buttons. Looks like a tiny umbilical hernia to me and we have them fixed while under for desexing. :)  Sooooo common, and not a sign of bad breeding. It's just nature. 

Thank you so much for that! I was so worried about it.

• Like 1

it is a hernia but so tiny not likely to cause any problems whatsoever. I doubt I'd even pay the extra to get it fixed. At that size it certainly can come and go. I had a litter (different breed) and 3 of the 4 girls had small hernia's, all gone by 4 months of age. I'd be taking your pup to the vet though for his post sale vet check.

• Like 3

Plenty of pups have them and no big deal at all .

Has nothing to do with being taken for idiots ,it’s just called it happens .

If your that concerned take to a vet as no one can be a vet by a picture 

If largish fixed easy when spayed otherwise if small no drama 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

Plenty of pups have them and no big deal at all .

Has nothing to do with being taken for idiots ,it’s just called it happens .

If your that concerned take to a vet as no one can be a vet by a picture 

If largish fixed easy when spayed otherwise if small no drama 

I guess, it would have been nice to know he has hernia straights way rather than telling us that he just has a weird belly button and me having to research about it on my own! 

20 hours ago, Maybe777 said:

I guess, it would have been nice to know he has hernia straights way rather than telling us that he just has a weird belly button and me having to research about it on my own! 

It also may be small so no big deal or anything  to tell .

Dogs all have a thing there just like humans so it depends on what your reacting too a simple spot where the cord was attached or a hernia off concern 

Have you taken the pup to the vet to have it looked at ?