Great Dane Puppy - Breeder recommended this to feed...is this okay?

iilysium

I am getting an 8 week old great dane puppy and my breeder said he feeds them this:

https://www.meysmeats.com.au/product/10kg-pet-mince/

and adds calcium carbonate powder which he mixes into the food. Is this raw diet okay for the great dane puppy or should I be looking into kibbles instead? A lot of posts I read said not to add calcium supplements in general for great danes.

What else do they feed .?

That isn’t a raw diet just raw meant .

Feeding a raw diet is much more .

Dont bother asking your vet ,very few know anything about how to feed dogs except promote the brand they sell .

Asking the  Great Dane club in Victoria would be a good start .

Is this a registered breeder that health tests .?

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Rebanne said:

You would only add calcium if it was pure meat with no bone. Do they only feed the mince, nothing else?

ps do you have a dane club in your state? Maybe you could ask them

Hmm, it says fresh chicken frames so I am assuming there is some bone? It's just chicken frame mince that he buys it seems.

Ohhh, and yes, looks like there is a facebook for the great dane club here!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

That is not even remotely a balanced diet. Speak to your vet about a complete and balanced diet for your puppy.

Yes, I was worried about that but I read to continue the diet of whatever the breeder had them on! I have my eyes on the Blackhawk Fish and Potato kibbles for the puppy.

12 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

What else do they feed .?

That isn’t a raw diet just raw meant .

Feeding a raw diet is much more .

Dont bother asking your vet ,very few know anything about how to feed dogs except promote the brand they sell .

Asking the  Great Dane club in Victoria would be a good start .

Is this a registered breeder that health tests .?

I think that is it for the puppies that he feeds them right now. 

1 hour ago, tdierikx said:

Here is a link to the most comprehansive great dane feeding guide out there... written by a previous member here...

http://www.greatdanerescue.com.au/Docs/diet_section.pdf

All questions should be answered, and your pup will get the best possible start if you follow the above advice.

T.

4 hours ago, jemappelle said:

Another good resource, if you're on Facebook, would be a Great Dane group that breeders frequent.

Thanks for the advice!

36 minutes ago, iilysium said:

continue the diet of whatever the breeder had them on!

..and gradually replace with a better diet /or one you choose to avoid tummy upsets . GRADUALLY being the operative word :) So - over a couple of weeks, you change over to what you choose...by gradually adding a little more of the new, less of the old - that sort of thing - so puppy tummy gets used to digesting different things . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iilysium said:

Yes, I was worried about that but I read to continue the diet of whatever the breeder had them on! I have my eyes on the Blackhawk Fish and Potato kibbles for the puppy.

That’s if the breeder is feeding an appropriate diet, and if you want to feed something else you then gradually switch it over. However, this isn’t a balanced diet, so I don’t think a slow switch would be safe. Best to discuss it with your vet.

• Like 2

Fresh, clean chicken frame mince is bone rich and a great food for weaning puppies (in my experience, they love it, and it's a help when a large litter is taking too much out of their dam). From what I have read, adding Ca++ will unbalance the minerals, so not so good. 

Mixing chook frame mince and kibble is fine. 

I have yet to hear of any benefit from potato as opposed to grain in kibble. Danes eat a lot.  The priciest food isn't necessarily the best.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The fish and potato doesn't have an appropriate calcium:phosphorus ratio for a giant puppy.

I do have a Malinois, not a dane, but I am using Diamond Naturals Large Puppy, and I'm incredibly happy with it. I was using Meals for Mutts Large Puppy before, and was disappointed my dogs did so poorly on it as my GSD had done well on other formulas. I have the Wellness Healthy Balance and Complete Health formulas as a back up if my DN order is delayed/I forgot to actually order it. All 3 seem to be within the guides posted earlier.

My guys also get a duck necks, bone broth, sardines/salmon fingerlings, kangaroo prey mix stuffed Kongs etc in addition to their kibble.