Can anyone explain why?

My mini schnauzer has started to for the want of a better term started star gazing and at the same time, smacking his lips.  I had him to the vet on Saturday and was diagnosed with a hot spot on his neck that is being treated  and the vet indicated it was very painful.  Is the star gazing and lip smacking connected?  

Never had it happen with hot spots on any off our Minis .

I wouldn’t Associatie it to that I’d be wanting a second opinion or a thorough blood panel done if nothing changes.

The worst reaction to a hotspot here is when it’s dried to far a pulls on the hair ,it’s a fine line between drying with some moisture .

We find curash powder great from hotspots 

Edited by Dogsfevr

Could be pain, whether from the hot spot or something else. One of mine shows pain by rapid lip licking while gazing at the ceiling. Hopefully it will resolve with the hotspot but if not I’d get a thorough physical 

How is he today? 

Dogs can do odd things when they are in pain. Like standing and staring. Licking their lips. Pacing, unable to get comfortable. Going off their food. Hiding under furniture. Snapping at people/other dogs. All sorts.

But if it's a hotspot that's now being treated you should see improvement soon as the inflammation settles. If not, keep a diary of when any strange behaviour happens and it's possible you may need to request a blood panel.  

Thanks for the replies and I must now add that he seems a lot better now.  The hot spot after having cream applied seems to be 'drying' up and therefore healing and he is not as averse to touching in the area.  Whereas before, he wouldn't even lie down but just sit on his haunches, he will now lie down and relax.  I'm hoping as each day goes by, Elliot will improve otherwise it's back to the vet.

• Like 6