Little Chase isn’t feeling well

Poor little Chase has me puzzled.

this is a long story....

Scout had suspected Norovirus a fortnight ago and was treated with metronidazole. She was fine within a couple of days.

Chase became very flat late last week and had a couple of soft stools and vomited once, at the same time he developed a rash on his belly and seemed itchy.

we discovered that he had found a very tricky way to get into our raised garden and lay in the rhoeo, so we ripped out the rhoeo on the weekend. His rash went within 2 days and he seemed well again.

In hindsight I think something has been slightly off for the whole week. He has been eating and drinking and playing but has started to be reluctant to get up in the morning, just laying in his crate and sometimes making me pick him up. 
day before yesterday hubby commented that he yelped coming up our front step into the house and he slept a LOT on Wednesday but had a great appetite so I figured he was doing some growing.

yesterday he refused his kibble from the bowl but would eat it from the treat cube. He wanted to sleep yesterday and definitely seemed quieter than usual. After sleeping for a while, if he would try to move he would yelp, once he seemed to really hurt when he tried to get up but in between he was happy and moving fine. I have felt him all over and cannot find a tender spot. I’ve checked inside his mouth, between his toes, applied pressure to his back and neck and no reaction.

there has been no vomiting, his stools are normal, the only other weird thing is that he walked over to Scout last night and relieved himself on her and her bed and woke me up this morning seeing in his crate ( he has never ever done that).

we have a vet appointment at 10am, he was meant to get his final vax but I imagine we will hold off on that.

he got up and wanted to play this morning, bouncing about. Didn’t want his bowl of kibble but ate quite a lot when I rolled it along the floor and he chased it, he got the zombies and tore around, jumped on his bed and went to sleep.

im stumped but also going through PTSD worry again!!!!!

5897DD0A-F3BF-4BE2-A91A-CB4881B8D023.jpeg

• Sad 1

UTI?? Can have very strange symptoms sometimes...

Maybe get the vet to run a full blood test (at the very least, the blood test they run before anaesthetics) which should indicate any kidney, liver, or infection issues. If they have an in-house IDEXX, the results should be ready in about 15 mins.

The vet can also palpate the kidney, liver, and guts to see if any of those are tender, or if his guts are a bit mushy/hard.

Fingers crossed he's just having growing pains or something equally benign...

T.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, vet was stumped and mostly unconcerned. Couldnt replicate any pain through musculoskeletal manipulation and couldn’t feel anything going on in his tummy. His temp was slightly up but the vet said it wasn’t a fever and it could be the car ride, the hot day etc

Hes been eating today but also sleeping a lot. He’s yelped a few more times, most often when he tries to get up after laying still for a long while. We are just watching and waiting at this stage.

I wish he would just be his old self.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebanne said:

growing pains maybe. Dogs do get them. Panosteitis

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that. He isn’t limping, I feel like it’s more in his neck or back but who knows. My main concern is how sleepy he is. He literally is sleeping 22 hours out of 24. He has wanted to play a bit today but not enthusiastically as usual. He has eaten and drank normally. I just wish I could find a way to worry less :hitself:

Source a doggy chiro or Bowen person .

Dogs with muscle soreness can be flat,have the runs .

I use Bowen on my dogs pups get done regular .

Teething can also be a real struggle for some getting inflamed tonsils 

• Like 2

Has Chase had a bit of a growth spurt lately? And how old is he now?

If he's still acting funny this time next week, I'd take him back to the vet and ask for bloods to be done - just to be completely sure there is nothing untoward going on internally.

The fact that he's eating and drinking, not losing weight, and is otherwise fairly normal behaviourally is a good sign. The extended sleeping sessions and aches after long naps could be growing pains if he's having a growth spurt, but they shouldn't go on for more than a couple of weeks as his tendons catch up with his bone growth. Teething (which usually starts around 16 weeks of age) can also make them feel a bit off, and a bit more reluctant to gobble down harder foods like kibble, and can give them a bit of a fever.

Another thing could be that he's overdone it somehow while playing or getting into the rhoeo, and maybe his neck/back is a bit sore. How good are you at back/neck massages? You could try firm but gentle rhythmic massaging of the muscles on either side of his spine, from the base of his skull all the way down to his rear end, you may find an area that is a bit knotty and be able to slowly release the knots for him. One of my dogs has mobility issues that mean that she moves differently to normal dogs, and I'm always having to massage knotty areas in her neck if she's been silly doing zoomies. Worth a try anyways, and he won't hate it... *grin*

Oh... and I think we need some more photos of the handsome boy...

T.

• Like 1

We are back to the vet at 11 this morning. He seems fine this morning, running around with Scout which makes this more confusing. Yesterday morning he was the same, seemed fine and then went downhill as the day progressed.

I managed to record an incident of his yelping as he tried to get up and I’ll show the vet. I feel as though if it were an injury, it would be persistent and not up and down like this. I just don’t know.

I think I’ll have them take bloods and will see what happens

• Like 3

Maybe also try to get a urine sample? UTI's can present in very strange ways... especially in a young silly pup who can sometimes focus more on playing than on whether they may be in pain...

Hopefully the blood test will indicate if there are any worrying things that need nipping in the bud... and if they come back normal, then that will help ease your mind about anything sinister not being present.

T.

• Like 2

We are home. Feeling much better. Both of us are!

they took bloods and all was normal. Temp was normal and they found a muscle running along his neck to his jaw felt thickened and seemed to be tender. He’s had a done of NSAID and is resting.. 

he seems more himself, so I’m optimistic that he just has a soft tissue injury

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, NikkiandKane said:

We are home. Feeling much better. Both of us are!

they took bloods and all was normal. Temp was normal and they found a muscle running along his neck to his jaw felt thickened and seemed to be tender. He’s had a done of NSAID and is resting.. 

he seems more himself, so I’m optimistic that he just has a soft tissue injury

Yay!!   Thanks so much for the update.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who was keeping an eye out.  :laugh:

Good for you for following your instincts and taking him in today.  That will have eased your mind, and good for getting the video.  The Pain relief should definitely help him feel better.    And it never hurts to have a blood panel run .. it gives you a good baseline.

(I was reminded by your experience, of the day I came home from work to find my then Border Collie boy 'not himself' .. I couldn't locate a particular problem, but decidef to take him in to my vet anyway.    I had to chuckle when I saw the way the receptionist had entered the reason for consult  .. "depressed dog".  Actually while I was waiting in the waiting room, he bumped his head against mhy knee and gave a little yelp .. so that helped to isolate the problem to a strain in the nexk region .. NSAID fixed him with no problems.  )

Hope little Chase gets back to his normal self .. and stops causing you worries.    Oh and then you'll have time to take photos .. hint, hint.  

• Like 2