New owner hasnt adhered to Payment agreement

Stacistaffs

Hi all,

After a bit of advice for a friend. A family were chosen for a Pup, When pick up time came around the new owner was short roughly $500. It was agreed pup can go to his new home and this can be paid the following week - The fam had been over every week for 8 weeks so a level of friendship and trust was made. Going on 4 weeks now and not a cent has been paid, Excuses are being made. How can we go about this? The microchip has also already been transferred :( They have been to visit but the owing money topic was quickly changed! Thank you

Hi,  I imagine a lot would depend on how the agreement was documented.  In some cases 'verbal agreements' can be binding, but proof and evidence are more tricky (independent witnesses help).   I suggest reviewing all written communication (including social media, emails, texts etc).   Fingers crossed the breeder has a case and it does not end up 'lesson learnt' :-(

On two occasions, I allowed pups to leave with some money still owing.

Neither ever paid.

One person gave excuses for a month then blocked me, the other just ignored my attempts at contact.

Never again. 

Best of luck. Some people have no conscience.

• Sad 2

Unfortunately, if there is no payment contract stating monies owed and signed by both parties, there isn't much that can be done to retrieve those monies.

Maybe a payment plan could be suggested? Say $50 a week? Something is better than nothing... and they may be more amenable to work with a plan of smaller amounts over time...

T.

No such thing as trust when it comes to money .
But they will need to have it well documented what the sales contract was ,they would ideally have written a new contract that $500 was still owed & both parties agreed to a deal .
Ideally they need something in written form ( payment receipts) anything that proves what they paid on what schedule to what point .
This is why when selling a goods you are business like & professional for both sides .
Chances are i doubt the "friend" did any off this .
So there options send a letter outling what is still owed any decisions on payment plans needs to be clearly outlined on what is a due date
After that a a legal letter & then small claims court .
Some options may cost them more than the $500 .

• Like 1