New desexing study

Powerlegs

Definitely not meaning to bring up a debate! I'm well aware it's a hot button topic.

Anyway, this might be something you've already seen, they expanded the range of breeds involved in a new study and compared to the past studies. (Article dated Sept 2020) I found it interesting anyway. :) 

https://www.dvm360.com/view/study-gauges-best-canine-sterilization-ages-by-breed-and-gender?fbclid=IwAR3RMkbOEM69vqQ5whsZtB9CFs1Y4gPHl_-uUnOonNHrdAYDj1UdwuvKbPI

Present study referenced (8)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks so much for posting this, @Powerlegs.  It was referenced by Dr Christine Zink  in a webinar I was watching last week on the Avidog site - my dogs are enrolled in their Fit For Life canine fitness program, and there are some really helpful webinars as well.   

It's so refreshing to have some work which covers the various pros and cons acroass a range of breeds.

An earlier summary of the same study

https://skeptvet.com/Blog/2020/01/new-evidence-about-when-to-neuter-your-dog/

Personally I would like to see the details (pay wall problem).  A one percent increase may be statistically significant but still unimportant in the real world, especially when N is large. I'd also like some evidence that the dogs sampled accurately reflected their breeds.  I can imagine, for example, that the difference between field and bench Labs might be greater than the difference between Labs and Goldies. 

Edited by sandgrubber

On 24/10/2020 at 2:42 PM, sandgrubber said:

An earlier summary of the same study

https://skeptvet.com/Blog/2020/01/new-evidence-about-when-to-neuter-your-dog/

Personally I would like to see the details (pay wall problem).  A one percent increase may be statistically significant but still unimportant in the real world, especially when N is large. I'd also like some evidence that the dogs sampled accurately reflected their breeds.  I can imagine, for example, that the difference between field and bench Labs might be greater than the difference between Labs and Goldies. 

I may be able to get the full text I'll have a look when I'm back on the computer. Don't be put off by paywalls though, just email the authors or message them on researchgate and most likely they will send you the full text, they don't get any $ from paywalls. 

Individual studies are rarely likely to provide a definitive answer, they just add to the existing body of knowledge to help inform. Sometimes media grabs leave out all the caveats that the scientists discuss in the paper.