Looking for reputable dog sport trainer for GSD puppy

Hi, I'm new to the forum and was just interested if anyone had any recommendations for dog sport or schutzhund trainers in Melbourne. I got put onto one from the Melbourne sport dog club, but I've since heard their recommendation is shady as hell.. any help would be greatly appreciated 

Hi @Patty81

I can't really be very helpful, but I just did a quick check on the national Schutzhund Clubs page, and there are only 2 clubs in Victoria lsted there.  ONe is the one you know about, and the other is called Eagle Heights Dogsports Club in Endeavour Hills.

I don't know if there are any members here who do Schutzhund training.   Most of us do obedience and Tracking through ANKC , and in some states the two are incompatible.  

Probably the best thing is to have a look at the two clubs Facebook pages, and then maybe ask if you can go (without dog probably) and have a chat with them about what they're offering.    They'll probably just be getting themselves organised to resume after lockdown, so it might be good to give them a couple of weeks.

Essentially schutzhund training in Victoria will require you to house your dog as a Dangerous Dog - muzzled, confined, signs etc. I am aware of a few trainers - can’t recall names - who have gone “underground” and are as shady as hell. So be very careful and aware of the legislative implications. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, The Spotted Devil said:

Essentially schutzhund training in Victoria will require you to house your dog as a Dangerous Dog - muzzled, confined, signs etc. I am aware of a few trainers - can’t recall names - who have gone “underground” and are as shady as hell. So be very careful and aware of the legislative implications. 

Yes I wondered if that was still the case. I recall years ago the uproar when it was realised that any dog trained in the protective part of Schutzhund was to be automatically declared a dangerous dog (in Vic). I was hopeful it might have changed but is seems not.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tassie said:

I don't know if there are any members here who do Schutzhund training.

Me !

I don't know much about Eagle Heights, it's worth trying them. I would personally stay away from Melbourne due to some involved, may be the same person you were referred to. It may be worth reaching out to SA directly, or even WMA or WGSDCA. Being that there are restrictions and issues with training protection in Victoria, it's not going to be easy.

ANKC obedience and tracking are completely different, IGP is very precise, and the tracking style is very different. 

• 1 month later...

I'm involved heavily in the sport. Feel free to contact me privately. I'm also a qualified trainer and happy to help out. Its an incredible sport and will improve your handler skills to no end if you pursue it

• 1 year later...