No Main Register Shih tzu puppies?

Shih Tzu Crazy

Hi after my Lola (Shih tzu) died a few weeks back at 14 years old from cancer tumours I have decided to work towards finishing the breeder modules, then the exam and vet inspection. However I can not find any breeder who is registering any puppies with “Main register” papers at all!  I am wanting a female like my Lola to love as my pet as well as breed.... however one breeder stated they “will never” allow another breeder to buy one of her puppies. I am happy to wait (until end of next year for my puppy), I’m not in a hurry. I am studying breeding and have a lot to finish.  So I am completely lost and would appreciate some guidance? 

You need to build a relationship with a breeder. I would think most would be wary of someone just wanting a bitch to breed from without getting to know them. Good on you for being up front but find a breeder whose dogs you like and take it from there.

• Like 5

I think you need to take a step back and read your post from a breeders point of view of you wanting to buy a main registered animal .

For me all I read is breeding ,breeding and breeding .

In a world full of puppy farmers or just people wanting to bred it will not get you far .

who are you doing the breeding modules with?

What registry are you joining ?

Why do you want to bred?
What is your goal with breeding?
Why did you email the breeders you did was it there lines,the colours,the testing they do ? Or did you just do the email everyone approach.

What stud lined  would you be looking at to complement the lines off the breeders you have contacted ?
Are you planning to show ,How savvy are you in understanding the breed standard ?

These are the questions you will get asked .
These are the kind off things your puppy owners will ask and a lot more so when planning to be a breeder you need to have you future of all the whys,what for and building the relationship with those people you may need to use males from .

We get emails weekly wanting a main registered animal to breed with .

We thank them for being honest then when we ask more detail get told where to noisy .

We are responsible for our pups and there future so if someone sends the I want to bred email compared to the great family home email we have to make decisions.

We have sold dogs on mains BUT those people came to shows,asked lots of breed related questions ,we understood there pathway and they understood ours  and we gave them great resources to read up,learn and be smart about there knowledge .

We built up a understanding and then the right puppy was sold with all the support for them to be successful showing and potentially breeding .

1 continued the others ended up deciding it was all too hard .

So you need to be honest but not sound so desperate that you just want a puppy with main papers and no thought about the lines,testing etc etc 

• Like 2

Condolences on the loss of your Lola.     If you are still able to contact Lola's breeder, I think that would be a starting point for me.  (I always let the breeder of any of my dogs know when they die .. it's a courtesy because they did all the hard work of breeding the pup, and they trusted me with the pup in the first place.)

Even if Lola's breeder is no longer breeding, you may be able to get some information as to  other breeders with good dogs who might be willing to let you have a pup.

Other than that, I agree with the suggestion about getting to some shows if you can, and at appropriate times, getting to know the breeders who are showing.

Both my current dogs are on Main Register,, though I bought them initially on the Limited Register as I'm primarily a performance person rather than a show person.   My boy was upgraded to Main before I actually got him, when the breeder (who had been thinking about keeping him) knew I had show people who would show him for me.   My girl was upgraded by her breeder at my request, as  my show mentors here thought she was worth showing.  I have to say that it helped that I was reasonably well known among some breeders because  of my performance sport history.

I don't know if you have considered showing any puppy you night get, but it's something I would recommend.   It shows a degree of commitment to the breed, and would help you to know whether as a pup develops, it is a good healthy representative of the breed, and worthy of being bred from.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/10/2020 at 9:20 PM, Shih Tzu Crazy said:

Hi after my Lola (Shih tzu) died a few weeks back at 14 years old from cancer tumours I have decided to work towards finishing the breeder modules, then the exam and vet inspection. However I can not find any breeder who is registering any puppies with “Main register” papers at all!  I am wanting a female like my Lola to love as my pet as well as breed.... however one breeder stated they “will never” allow another breeder to buy one of her puppies. I am happy to wait (until end of next year for my puppy), I’m not in a hurry. I am studying breeding and have a lot to finish.  So I am completely lost and would appreciate some guidance? 

sent you a message

click on the kennel name I send you.

she breeds glorious dogs as you will see in the photos

Edited by asal
  • Like 1