ELDERLY AFGHAN

Perry's Mum

A friend has a 15 year old Afghan who is struggling to eat.  She has bare minimum chicken or mince am, some tuna pm and a bit of a can of dog food early evening.  She still suffers diarrhea from denamarin for liver or the anti inflammatory so she has lost most of her weight and because of her back legs being crap she has lost muscle. But still demands several short and long walks daily.

Does anyone know what they could give her to stop the diarrhea which she only gets from her medication and any suggestions as to how to tempt her appetite?

I’d be getting second opinion on the meds.  Of course, side affects are often experienced, but when they are so debilitating, the “cure” has to be interrogated.  

As for appetite, anyone who has followed me over the years would know that I am the last to be able to help or advise.  However, I always have Nutrigel on hand to administer (via syringe) to try to arrest weight loss.  A couple of my oldies (now gone to god) who had lots of health issues actually never lost weight even by the end of their lives because Nutrigel is easy to give and very palatable.  

Another food I always have on hand is homemade bone broth.  The two I have now (Mezza and Sooty) don’t seem to like it but Tamar used to lap up a mix of bone broth and Nutrigel - lightly warmed.  

I think I’d also be questioning the several short and long walks daily.   People tend to think because a dog barks at the front door or races around to the gate or where their leads are that they must want/need a walk.  From my observance only, I think this is just memory and habit.  I’ve had dogs who have done this, but as soon as they are outside or a few houses down, they want to come home.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loving my Oldies said:

I think I’d also be questioning the several short and long walks daily.   People tend to think because a dog barks at the front door or races around to the gate or where their leads are that they must want/need a walk.  From my observance only, I think this is just memory and habit.  I’ve had dogs who have done this, but as soon as they are outside or a few houses down, they want to come home.  

oh so true. I'm sorry but what quality of life is the dog having. 15 is a grand age. Might be time to let go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The poor dog needs to be assessed, maybe by a different vet ? the 'demanding of walks' may be a sign of dementia, too .. Only a vet will be able to answer your question for medication-induced diarrhoea like that ...and maybe it's time to really look at quality of life for this dear old thing . 
The following article might be useful 

The dog seems to be quite alert and happy except for the diarrhea which she is not happy about.   She has seen two of the best vets in Canberra neither of whom have suggested euthanasia..  

Thank you all for your contributions - any more are welcome.

Edited by Perry's Mum

51 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

Ask the vet about Periactin for boosting appetite. :) 

I've never had much luck with Periactin. But you can get it over the counter at chemists ( at least you could last time I got some )

26 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

I've never had much luck with Periactin. But you can get it over the counter at chemists ( at least you could last time I got some )

My experience, too, @Rebanne.  I used it for a couple of years for Jeune, with little to no success.  

That said, medications can have different results, so with the poor little dog in such a state, it is worth a try.  FOLLOWING FURTHER VET ASSESSMENT.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebanne said:

I've had such a good result :) but it's the first time I've tried it and got it from my vet as he suggested it as worth a try. He said they normally use it in cats I think. Maybe it's a bit hit & miss in dogs depending on what's causing the in-appetite? 

• Like 1

I know they’ve seen two vets, but I just can’t help but think that there have surely got to be other medication options for the liver and pain if they are causing problems – I am assuming the NSAID is for pain? For example Mal takes gabapentin for pain, and a potential side effect of that can be increased appetite. If appropriate, that may work in this sweet girl’s favour? Another one might be questioning if perhaps there’s something GI related going on and the denamarin and anti inflammatory meds just seem like typical suspects. Mal has developed food intolerances as a senior due to GI disease and had I continued feeding chicken, fatty fish, and fats in general he too would have zero appetite and diarrhoea. Or does it all come back to the liver and a liver diet is needed to improve things.

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 1