Aloe Vera

The only way I can start this post is by saying Oh My God! Chase ended up hospitalised on fluids today and we think after looking back it was caused by his chewing on aloe Vera. 
I saw him chewing a piece yesterday and didn’t give it a thought since humans use it medicinally. Overnight he was very restless, crying in his crate, which is unusual for him and I woke up to his vomiting in the early hours.

he didn’t want to eat or drink in the morning and after an initial normal stool he started passing nothing but bloody mucous and then started vomiting again. We got to the vet right away.

I was a mess as I’m  sure you can imagine. The vet reassured me that it wasn’t likely an obstruction but suggested we admit him for treatment.

It wasn’t until I came home and the vet called to update me that he was much brighter after fluids that I recalled the aloe vera. I googled it and discovered it is toxic to dogs!! Seriously. What isn’t? 
anyhow, thank god for pet insurance! He is home and seems bright and well and wants to eat all of the food, he is on a bland diet and I’m limiting it initially. We opted to still send his stool for analysis, in case it isn’t the aloe. His bloods were perfect which is reassuring because apparently aloe can cause renal failure!!

it’s always eventful in our house :hitself:

• Sad 9

Chase... you are not supposed to scare your mummy like that! Chewing your toys is OK, but chewing anything else you find is not...

@NikkiandKane... it's awesome that you are so alert to anything that could be wrong and seek medical help asap... I'm sure he will be fine now. Normal bloods are a really good sign, OK? Massive hugs to you...

T.

• Like 1

Thanks, I expected a rough night with some more toilet trips. He is eating the vet prescription gastrointestinal wet food but he slept soundly through the night. I can hear him quietly snoring now and I am about to start the day.

he’s is having 2 types of antibiotic because the vet still believes there may be some bacterial factor to his on and off Illness and she detected a small amount of blood in his urine yesterday. Poor little guy.

puppies are scary, exhausting, wonderful little creatures!!

• Like 4

OMG!   You must be in a state!!!

Having lost many dogs over the years (adopting oldies from pounds, etc) with numbers of wild trips to emergency vets in the small hours, I know the worry and heartache.  But I am expecting it given ages and health conditions.  Your situation is so much different.  I can only hope that from now on, life with your puppy will be just fun and love.    

Hugs and hearts to you all.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rebanne said:

Bloody puppies that have to chew everything! Glad it seems to have turned out ok. A few more grey hairs for you though :)

That’s for sure! 2020 has cost me a lot in hair dyes! He really seems fine today. 
I honestly had a mini breakdown in the vet carpark when I had to leave him there, I felt like it was all happening again and O don’t think my heart is strong enough to go through that pain and loss again, so I couldn’t be more grateful that he is ok :pray:

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, NikkiandKane said:

That’s for sure! 2020 has cost me a lot in hair dyes! He really seems fine today. 
I honestly had a mini breakdown in the vet carpark when I had to leave him there, I felt like it was all happening again and O don’t think my heart is strong enough to go through that pain and loss again, so I couldn’t be more grateful that he is ok :pray:

From my experience (and literally hundreds of puppies - of my own, and fostering whole litters of pups for rescue) what happened with Kane is extremely rare, and the things that pups can chew and pass safely or without any bother at all is myriad. I currently have a 10 year old dog of my own that has pica, which means she has a crazy need to eat all sorts of things that aren't actually food... like rocks, plants/grasses, poop, wood, bedding, my bloody doona(!), paper, cardboard, etc, etc... seriously the things she has chewed and swallowed (and passed completely without incident) in her 10 years would make your hair stand on end.

Here's to many years of us all being regaled with young Chase's funny antics...

Hugs,

Tracey

• Like 2

23 hours ago, tdierikx said:

From my experience (and literally hundreds of puppies - of my own, and fostering whole litters of pups for rescue) what happened with Kane is extremely rare, and the things that pups can chew and pass safely or without any bother at all is myriad. I currently have a 10 year old dog of my own that has pica, which means she has a crazy need to eat all sorts of things that aren't actually food... like rocks, plants/grasses, poop, wood, bedding, my bloody doona(!), paper, cardboard, etc, etc... seriously the things she has chewed and swallowed (and passed completely without incident) in her 10 years would make your hair stand on end.

Here's to many years of us all being regaled with young Chase's funny antics...

Hugs,

Tracey

Hopefully funny antics that don’t cause me so much distress!

yes, I believe Kane had Pica, he had an obsessive need to eat things which were not food.

Chase has a need to chew but that’s just normal puppy stuff and I thought we had provided a safe environment, I am amazed at the things that can poison a dog!

he feels so good today that I had to take him for a walk in the middle of State or Origin to stop him bouncing off the walls, so I feel very fortunate.

I’ll update on Friday with his weekly photo, 17 weeks this week!!

• Like 6

On 05/11/2020 at 5:45 AM, tdierikx said:

You are the best ever puppy mummy @NikkiandKane... and Chase will probably give you one or 2 more hiccups along the way, but I'm sure he'll grow up to be an awesome boy in every respect. You are doing a great job, so hang in there, OK?

T.

That’s lovely thank you. I try to do the absolute best for my dogs. In the past I may have been guilty of taking a conservative “wait and see” approach to illnesses, but now I am whipping off to the vet at the slightest sign of illness, I feel a bit silly sometimes but at least I can sleep at night most of the time!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NikkiandKane said:

That’s lovely thank you. I try to do the absolute best for my dogs. In the past I may have been guilty of taking a conservative “wait and see” approach to illnesses, but now I am whipping off to the vet at the slightest sign of illness, I feel a bit silly sometimes but at least I can sleep at night most of the time!

Completely understandable... and don't ever feel silly for being vigilant and proactive about your babies' health. You are doing great!

T.

• Thanks 1