13 day old litter stinky yellow squirts diarrhea

Aliciar

Hello,

I have a litter of 13 day old frenchies.  They are gaining weight and have normal activity for their age. 

A little back story.  My last litter got coccidia at abt 7 weeks. Then I had brought in a new puppy that also brought giardia.  this was 2 months ago. When my bitch was pregnant I treated her for 2 weeks with fenbendazole (safeguard for goats) on the last 3 days I treated her with toltrazuril and she had been eating decoxx for the last week or so before whelping. I treated the litter at 4 days old with toltrazuril too. I also treated everyone at my house. I wipe the bitch down everytime she is going back in with the pups too. 

Fast forward to day 12 one puppy starts squirting yellow stinky diarrhea.  Mom's milk is nice and white. (I've dealt with mastitis) could this be coccidia or guardia this early with all the prevention?  The last litter was the first time I have dealt with parasites.  Of course it would be both. 

What should I do?

The puppy I brought home has been treated with toltrazuril, albon, metronidazole, safeguard (fenbendazole), corid, probiotics daily, DE and eats decoxx daily. She still has soft stools but I've done 3 additional tests after treatment and its all negative.  This puppy is completely separated from the current litter and I clean her butt, steam if she misses the pad and bath her every 3 days. 

I second the vet. Their stools are not normal and given their age the risk of them all getting very ill very quickly is quite high. You risk losing the litter without proper diagnosis and relevant treatment. Some pups suffer horribly from these infections and just aren't strong enough to survive.

Both coccidia and giardia are highly infectious and difficult to eradicate from your environment too. I don't think 2 months is long enough for the same environment to be considered safe from potential new infection (someone else might be able to shed some light on that though) regardless of what strategies you are using.

• Like 4

Given high puppy prices and the popularity of Frenchies, you should be making good money on puppy sales.  No need to cut corners. Go to a proper vet for advice and if that doesn't succeed, get a second opinion or consult an infectious disease expert.  It sounds like something is out of control in the environment you manage.  

Yes, the dog version of Fenbenzadol is expensive, but is the dose/absorption etc right when you use a goat formulation?  Etc. 

• Like 6

Toltrazuril is supposed to treat the entire 28 day cycle of the coccidia parasite. If you treated the pups at 4 days old, it should still be working in their systems.

Maybe you should stop treating mum and pups with home remedies, and seek the advice of a professional - ie. a qualified vet - and then you might get a conclusive diagnosis and treatment plan for whatever is happening.

At 12-13 days of age, watery diarrhoea can quicky lead to dehydration and death... please take them all to a vet NOW!

T.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

Who is doing the testing?

And testing for what?

A faecal float is easy enough to do for anyone with a microscope... but knowing exactly what you are looking for and what magnifications certain bugs need to be seen at - that takes a little more skill.

There is a SNAP test for Giardia @Powerlegs... and they are pretty accurate by all accounts. Coccidia and other bugs are better tested for doing a float and a count of numbers.

T.

• Like 1

My vet has been involved. Where do you think I got the medications from and tests for coccidia and giardia? These medications aren't "home remedies". Ive went to 2 seperate vets and followed all their guidance.  So get over yourself and stop being so judgemental and assuming what you don't know. Learn what your talking about. 

I FULLY UNDERSTAND THAT LIQUID DIARRHEA CAN CAUSE RAPID DEHYDRATION.  I HAVE BEEN TAKING CARE OF THAT OBIVOUSLY MY PUPPIES HEALTH IS MOST IMPORTANT.  

I'M NOT CUTTING CORNERS!!!!

I SIMPLY ASKED IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCED PARASITES THIS YOUNG. 

I'M FULLY AWARE ABOUT BOTH OF THESE PARASITES.  I've done my research and have talked to vets numerous times. Coccidia and Guardia usually take several treatments.  It can also be in the soil. I live next to the river. Dogs can pick up parasites from all sorts of places. In fact most grown dogs abt 60% to 70% have it. They're just asymptomatic.  

For those that have been kind. My puppies are doing better today. The vet thinks mom must of ate something.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Given high puppy prices and the popularity of Frenchies, you should be making good money on puppy sales.  No need to cut corners. Go to a proper vet for advice and if that doesn't succeed, get a second opinion or consult an infectious disease expert.  It sounds like something is out of control in the environment you manage.  

Yes, the dog version of Fenbenzadol is expensive, but is the dose/absorption etc right when you use a goat formulation?  Etc. 

My vet says the goat dewormer works better. Thank you very much. 

4 minutes ago, Aliciar said:

My vet has been involved. Where do you think I got the medications from and tests for coccidia and giardia? These medications aren't "home remedies". Ive went to 2 seperate vets and followed all their guidance.  So get over yourself and stop being so judgemental and assuming what you don't know. Learn what your talking about. 

I FULLY UNDERSTAND THAT LIQUID DIARRHEA CAN CAUSE RAPID DEHYDRATION.  I HAVE BEEN TAKING CARE OF THAT OBIVOUSLY MY PUPPIES HEALTH IS MOST IMPORTANT.  

I'M NOT CUTTING CORNERS!!!!

I SIMPLY ASKED IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCED PARASITES THIS YOUNG. 

I'M FULLY AWARE ABOUT BOTH OF THESE PARASITES.  I've done my research and have talked to vets numerous times. Coccidia and Guardia usually take several treatments.  It can also be in the soil. I live next to the river. Dogs can pick up parasites from all sorts of places. In fact most grown dogs abt 60% to 70% have it. They're just asymptomatic.  

For those that have been kind. My puppies are doing better today. The vet thinks mom must of ate something.  

I've been in this group for years.  If you wish to avoid the sort of advice you have gotten, make it clear that you are acting on veterinary advice, but hope someone can clarify details (or some such). It's pretty common for people to come online and ask the group to act as a substitute for seeing a vet. Often that does not fly well. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sandgrubber said:

I've been in this group for years.  If you wish to avoid the sort of advice you have gotten, make it clear that you are acting on veterinary advice, but hope someone can clarify details (or some such). It's pretty common for people to come online and ask the group to act as a substitute for seeing a vet. Often that does not fly well. 

I thought this was a breeder forum but it's clearly not. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Aliciar said:

What do you mean? I think you may be mistaken as it's just not for purebred/pedigree dog breeders, it's a group of dog people whose interest includes purebred dogs (though it does include all dogs which you will see if you read the health and rescue forums)

There is a separate forum for registered breeders

the logo says it all

1102383432_Screenshotfrom2020-11-0713-33-52.png.ebc187f1094dd564710470956bff4b87.png

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Aliciar said:

Where do you think I got the medications from and tests for coccidia and giardia? These medications aren't "home remedies". Ive went to 2 seperate vets and followed all their guidance. 

As you gave none of this information in your posts , we weren't to know you had consulted a vet . Some folks have  meds left over from previous cases and use them - you could have been doing that , for all we knew . 
It's great that puppies are doing better ! Hopefully they continue to improve for you :) .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aliciar said:

You didnt post in the  breeder section you have posted in the general section where pet owners often ask for free advice  or general pet questions  and are simply pet owners who have never experienced litters .

The Breeders section is where those with the potential knowledge are .
At the end off the day known of us are vets ,able to see the pups infront of us ,the colour of the poo or the pups themselves .
Only a vet could help you 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, tdierikx said:

And testing for what?

A faecal float is easy enough to do for anyone with a microscope... but knowing exactly what you are looking for and what magnifications certain bugs need to be seen at - that takes a little more skill.

There is a SNAP test for Giardia @Powerlegs... and they are pretty accurate by all accounts. Coccidia and other bugs are better tested for doing a float and a count of numbers.

T.

I'm was concerned they were being done at home with a microscope.