13 day old litter stinky yellow squirts diarrhea

Aliciar

3 hours ago, Aliciar said:

My vet has been involved. Where do you think I got the medications from and tests for coccidia and giardia? These medications aren't "home remedies". Ive went to 2 seperate vets and followed all their guidance.  So get over yourself and stop being so judgemental and assuming what you don't know. Learn what your talking about. 

I FULLY UNDERSTAND THAT LIQUID DIARRHEA CAN CAUSE RAPID DEHYDRATION.  I HAVE BEEN TAKING CARE OF THAT OBIVOUSLY MY PUPPIES HEALTH IS MOST IMPORTANT.  

I'M NOT CUTTING CORNERS!!!!

I SIMPLY ASKED IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCED PARASITES THIS YOUNG. 

I'M FULLY AWARE ABOUT BOTH OF THESE PARASITES.  I've done my research and have talked to vets numerous times. Coccidia and Guardia usually take several treatments.  It can also be in the soil. I live next to the river. Dogs can pick up parasites from all sorts of places. In fact most grown dogs abt 60% to 70% have it. They're just asymptomatic.  

For those that have been kind. My puppies are doing better today. The vet thinks mom must of ate something.  

Charming. 

What do you expect from an open forum? Free vet advice?

I suggest you're the one who needs to get over themselves if you can't clarify yourself without all caps and insults. 

• Like 6

BTW, to my knowledge, there are no open breeder's forums. The Animal Rights community makes it impossible for them to exist.  Posting access to the DOL Breeder's Community Forum is by application, and approval is generally restricted to pedigree breeders registered with a canine body that issues pedigrees. 

If the OP had established her/himself in that community and made it clear that they are working with a vet(s) this discussion would have gone differently. 

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 4

@Aliciar, all replies to your original post were made with your puppies' wellbeing first and foremost... and solely based on that 1 post, there wasn't enough information to draw the conclusion that you were acting under veterinary advice. Too many times people have come to these forums with similar stories and asking for advice that really needs to be given by a vet seeing the issue personally. All of us who have had litters of pups with diarrhoea know excatly how quickly the problem can turn deadly for such young pups, and so we were only concerned for your little ones - sorry if many of us were a bit blunt with our replies.

As I said before, the SNAP test for Giardia is known to be pretty accurate... however SNAP tests for Coccidia can be hit or miss at best really. The best test for Coccidia is a faecal float and oocyst count under a microsope done by someone familiar with the intricacy of such counts, hence the advice to have a vet run such tests.

The treatments you described in your original post are also unfamiliar to many of the folk here, as we are predominately made up of Australian members, and the drugs you cite have different formulations/names here - we use Baycox for a single or triple dose toltrazuril treatment, and Panacur instead of Safeguard (goat/cattle) for fenbenzadole giardia treatment.

You say the vet now thinks that the diarrhoea may have been caused by something the mother dog ate... hopefully the issue has now resolved... but I'm left wondering if you were treating the mother with any of the above drugs, and that could have caused the tummy upsets in the pups via her milk. It's one thing to treat the pups, but if you are also treating the mother with medications, the pups could inadvertently be getting a larger dose of same from her milk... just a thought...

In any case, I really think that we need some photos of the gorgeous mum and her squeal-worthy little ones... there is nothing cuter than tiny Frenchie babies... *grin*

T.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Aliciar said:

I thought this was a breeder forum but it's clearly not. 

you poor darling, very few breed anymore, its now not the done thing to "prostitute your fur child and sell your grand children"

NO kidding, that's what a numbskull asked me as she was about to leave with the puppy she bought from me and that was ten years ago!

Thanks to the constant litany that "we have to eliminate puppy farmers and backyard breeders"  very few are game to breed more than one litter a year anymore.

dogzonline is mainly populated now by the "never breed more one or two litters as Im ethical and responsible, I'm not in it for the money"

As well as the "adopt, not shop" I have seen as well.

If that isn't telling anyone reading it that unless you too toe that line then you are unethical and irresponsible?

The silence for decades has been deafening from those who actually do breed more.  Trouble is the thought police avidly scan the litter registrations in the journal and anyone who has, although perfectly within the code of ethics to breed multiple litters , discover some one has been busy dialing and they have inspectors at the gate, 

I have been incredibly lucky, been breeding since 1979 and the atmosphere has changed so much many of my generation tend to be wondering why remain a member let alone breed when to do so is to become a target.  Let alone, meet idiots like the lady who I earlier quoted who I expect has told everyone she meets that she "rescued" her pup.   It was interesting she was too gutless to have her say before she had paid, received her puppy and paperwork, insurance and food all safely stowed in her car and leaving before she opened her mouth.

I have only seen one litter affected by I have to admit I forget if it was guardia or coxxi?   and yes a trip to the vet and my vet put them and the mum on Baycox and it felt like instant improvement...   I always have scourban on hand always, at least it then gives the puppies a bit more time to find out whats going on before dehydration rears its ugly head.

She was a friends dog I was looking after and it scared the daylights out of me as the vet said she could have picked it up before she arrived or he said birds tend to carry and spread both.

Hope your puppies are getting better.

Nothing so distressing than sick puppies.

apologies for not spotting your post earlier

Edited by asal

3 hours ago, tdierikx said:

@Aliciar, all replies to your original post were made with your puppies' wellbeing first and foremost... and solely based on that 1 post, there wasn't enough information to draw the conclusion that you were acting under veterinary advice. Too many times people have come to these forums with similar stories and asking for advice that really needs to be given by a vet seeing the issue personally. All of us who have had litters of pups with diarrhoea know excatly how quickly the problem can turn deadly for such young pups, and so we were only concerned for your little ones - sorry if many of us were a bit blunt with our replies.

As I said before, the SNAP test for Giardia is known to be pretty accurate... however SNAP tests for Coccidia can be hit or miss at best really. The best test for Coccidia is a faecal float and oocyst count under a microsope done by someone familiar with the intricacy of such counts, hence the advice to have a vet run such tests.

The treatments you described in your original post are also unfamiliar to many of the folk here, as we are predominately made up of Australian members, and the drugs you cite have different formulations/names here - we use Baycox for a single or triple dose toltrazuril treatment, and Panacur instead of Safeguard (goat/cattle) for fenbenzadole giardia treatment.

You say the vet now thinks that the diarrhoea may have been caused by something the mother dog ate... hopefully the issue has now resolved... but I'm left wondering if you were treating the mother with any of the above drugs, and that could have caused the tummy upsets in the pups via her milk. It's one thing to treat the pups, but if you are also treating the mother with medications, the pups could inadvertently be getting a larger dose of same from her milk... just a thought...

In any case, I really think that we need some photos of the gorgeous mum and her squeal-worthy little ones... there is nothing cuter than tiny Frenchie babies... *grin*

T.

I almost lost my daughter as a toddler to Giardia, she was scouring so badly she had degenerated to the degree I could see her tiny bones through her skin as the doctors continued to test and all tests came back negative.  

she had been in intensive care for three days and obviously close to death, before they decided nothing was working so lets treat her for giardia just in case "as it can be an intermittent shedder" and thankfully it worked.

Its not just a puppy killer. unknown to me the water at Mittagong is known to be contaminated and I did not know. We had been visiting relatives and she wanted a glass of water and I gave it to her from the tap.  Apparently all the bottles of water in the fridge was already boiled water that Mandy only gave the kids but she never thought to tell me.  When I told her we had almost lost my daughter and we were stumped how she became infected is when I learned their water is contaminated and she thought I had known.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

BTW, to my knowledge, there are no open breeder's forums. The Animal Rights community makes it impossible for them to exist.  Posting access to the DOL Breeder's Community Forum is by application, and approval is generally restricted to pedigree breeders registered with a canine body that issues pedigrees. 

If the OP had established her/himself in that community and made it clear that they are working with a vet(s) this discussion would have gone differently. 

true

So much detail about the treatment but forgot to say all supplied by the vet.

trouble is when worried can forget . unfortunate omission.

as others have said, so many come here looking for free advice instead of heading straight to the vet.

• Like 1