robot monster wolves

Boronia

In rural Japan robot monster wolves are being used to keep bears out of towns, stopping potential attacks

Posted 4hhours ago, updated 2hhours ago
The robotic monster wolf has been deployed in the Japanese countryside to ward off bears.(Reuters: Kyodo)The Japanese town of Takikawa has deployed robot "monster wolves" in an effort to scare away bears that have become an increasingly dangerous nuisance in the countryside.

The monster wolf is deployed to ward off bears in Takikawa.

Key points:

• The robot wolves are covered in realistic-looking fur and emit over 60 sounds designed to ward off large animals
  • When their sensors detect movement, the robot's scare tactics kick in
  • Since deploying the robotic wolves, the town of Takikawa says there have been no human/bear encounters

Takikawa, located on the northern island of Hokkaido, purchased and installed a pair of the robots after bears were found roaming neighbourhoods in September.

City officials said that bears had become more active and dangerous as they search for food before going into hibernation in late November.

They also said a decrease of acorns and nuts in the wild this year may have driven the animals to venture closer to towns in search of sustenance.

The robot animals consist of a 65-centimetre-long, 50cm-tall body covered with realistic-looking fur, featuring huge white fangs and flashing red eyes.

When the sensors on them are triggered, the robot's scare tactics kick into action.

The robot's eyes light up red and it emits emitting a variety of sounds, some of which are ear-splintering.

The sounds, of which there are over 60, are mixed up so animals such as bears do not get used to them and consistently remain in fear.

Machinery maker Ohta Seiki has sold about 70 units of the robot since 2018.

The company's president, Yuji Ohta, has previously said the monster wolf is a deterrent for bears.

Wild bears have recently become a problem as they wander into rural Japanese towns.(Flickr: Michelle Bender)

"We have included many methods in its design to drive off bears, so I am confident it will be effective. If this can help create an environment that bears and people can both live in, I will be happy."

For Takikawa, with its population of around 41,000 people, it appears the monster wolves are working like a charm.

City officials said there have been no bear encounters since the wolves were deployed.

However, bear sightings in the rural areas of western and northern Japan are at a five-year high, national broadcaster NHK has reported.

And there have been dozens of attacks so far in 2020, two of them fatal, prompting the Government to convene an emergency meeting last month to address the threat they pose.

The real Japanese wolf roamed the central and northern islands of the country before being hunted to extinction more than a century ago.

Reuters/ABC

Edited by Boronia
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Boronia said:
  • .... sensors detect movement, ....  eyes light up

Tks Boronia.  It would likely be more effective than our movement-sensor fox lights near the chook pens.  Foxes just say oh thank you for leaving a light on for us.  (Why else would I be up at 2.00 am, rhetoric).  But would probably cost a tad more, and might traumatise the neighbour's children.  Probably doesn't cheer up Japanese kiddies either, but I guess better than a bear in the garden.

• Haha 2

Unfortunately the only truly effective way to keep chooks safe from foxes is good sturdy mesh all around the coop. I reckon that foxes would realise pretty quickly that the robot wolf doesn't actually move, and end up ignoring it... smart buggers they are... lol!

T.

My pens are secure but the catch for me is when a group are out for a day's green-pick there's often one or more decides to sleep up on the shed roof or in a tree - they are difficult to field for 'closing time' at times, depends on breed and numbers etc. - and an easy pick for foxes.  The monster wolf does crack me up a bit: so many people closer to town being dobbed to Council for roosters crowing - wonder how the crazed wolf would go down with anti-livestock neighbours.  Wouldn't work for long with animals really I don't think, short term benefit certainly not proportionate to what the cost would be.  (Good Halloween garden feature).