Puppy Feeding Advice

Klm20

Hi all,

I’m so happy I’ll be bringing a mini poodle pup into our home in mid December.

i just wanted to get some thoughts on puppy feeding since it’s been some time since I owned a pup. 

The breeder will supply me info with the puppy pack but just looking for thoughts on food companies that are good, raw feeding etc. 

Is it good to also include something like a goats milk or not for a couple of months while the pup is growing?

How often and how much would you feed your pup? 

Dry food/wet food? 

Obviously I just want to do the best I can for our little family member so any advice is much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. :)

Milk is not necessary or advised... especially if feeding a balanced diet for said pup. You don't want ot overdo calcium intake on a growing pup.

Best to follow the diet advised by the breeder, and any changes you wish to make should be done slowly to reduce any the chance of tummy upsets.

The best advice I ever received about feeding was to feed whatever the dog did well on... *grin*

Each dog is different in it's needs, so it can be hard to advise a one shoe fits all solution. Some dogs do great on expensive premium foods and others don't... same with raw feeding that can be fiddly to get the nutrient balances just right for each individual dog.

Maybe once you have your new friend, you could discuss feeding etc with your vet?

T.

• Like 3

Your breeder will be your person off knowledge and will tell you what it’s been feed,how many meals,current quantities after all there feeding the pup in question .

Keep in mind you will get many confusing answers to you post .

Some breeds diets can be more breed specific.

If wanting to feed raw make sure you feed a correct balanced raw .

Also keep in mind any diet transitions should be done slowly in case your puppy ends up with the runs .

Do you know what the breeder feeds .?
Talk to them after all if you feed something else when pup arrives home and it gets the runs or sick the first person you will call is the breeder so .

Our diet is part of our puppy guarantee which is in the contract and we also have a section about requiring a change and informing us .

We went with this path after puppy owners going on there own and getting it wrong .

Most vets will sell what they stock and most vets aren’t savvy with breed diets relating to growth ,high cholesterol etc .

Ask your breeder about diet now and go from there 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, tdierikx said:

Milk is not necessary or advised... especially if feeding a balanced diet for said pup. You don't want ot overdo calcium intake on a growing pup.

Best to follow the diet advised by the breeder, and any changes you wish to make should be done slowly to reduce any the chance of tummy upsets.

The best advice I ever received about feeding was to feed whatever the dog did well on... *grin*

Each dog is different in it's needs, so it can be hard to advise a one shoe fits all solution. Some dogs do great on expensive premium foods and others don't... same with raw feeding that can be fiddly to get the nutrient balances just right for each individual dog.

Maybe once you have your new friend, you could discuss feeding etc with your vet?

T.

Thanks for your advice. 

I’ll speak to the breeder and follow on with whatever they are feeding. :)

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

Your breeder will be your person off knowledge and will tell you what it’s been feed,how many meals,current quantities after all there feeding the pup in question .

Keep in mind you will get many confusing answers to you post .

Some breeds diets can be more breed specific.

If wanting to feed raw make sure you feed a correct balanced raw .

Also keep in mind any diet transitions should be done slowly in case your puppy ends up with the runs .

Do you know what the breeder feeds .?
Talk to them after all if you feed something else when pup arrives home and it gets the runs or sick the first person you will call is the breeder so .

Our diet is part of our puppy guarantee which is in the contract and we also have a section about requiring a change and informing us .

We went with this path after puppy owners going on there own and getting it wrong .

Most vets will sell what they stock and most vets aren’t savvy with breed diets relating to growth ,high cholesterol etc .

Ask your breeder about diet now and go from there 

Thanks for your advice. 

It sounds like the best thing to do is to ask the breeder and follow on with what they are feeding with. 

I agree with you that vets really only sell you what they stock not what may actually be better for your dog, I think the same goes for worming and flea products from the vet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Klm20 said:

Thanks for your advice. 

It sounds like the best thing to do is to ask the breeder and follow on with what they are feeding with. 

I agree with you that vets really only sell you what they stock not what may actually be better for your dog, I think the same goes for worming and flea products from the vet. 

Your breeder may feed something crappy BUT when the pup comes home it’s what it’s use to so you just slowly change ,your breeder may feed an awesome diet .

Questions are great but how long is a piece of string is the diet answers .

I have a breed that has a higher than normal cholesterol level ,highly predisposed to pancreatitis,the diet we recommend can be tweaked and changed BUT it’s based on not creating an issue .

• Like 2