Cavalier king charles with stage 4 MVD

sharon1961

Hi all,

It is with a heavy heart i post this comment...

My beautiful little cavalier "ruby" is 13 years old and in stage 4 Mitral valve disease and is deaf. She hasnt been able to go for even short walks for a long time due to getting worn out and having breathing issues.

She is currently on the maximum medication which is JUST holding the fluid off her lungs, but she has a large fluid belly.

The vet told me 6 mths ago , she may have 4 months at best.

The last few weeks she has been sleeping a lot, but cant get comfortable and tries to sleep sitting up ,has gotten a bad double ear infection and also is currently suffering with gastritis which is now mostly under control but very painful. 

I am wanting to have her euthanised at home when the time comes, my daughter (a paramedic)is begging me to let her go before she suffers. She believes her heart will fail and she will "drown" in her own fluid through the night and suffer.

To others who have gone through this cavies, should i let her go now? Or do you believe she still has a little quality of life left.

It breaks my heart but i want the right thing for her.

Thank you so much in advance

They all seem to progress differently.  Is he on fluid medication?  Can she have the fluid in her stomach drained?  My tri girl lived a very active life right up until the last couple of weeks.  Have you been checking his resting breathing rate?

• Like 1

Oh :( That sounds a lot for one old body to cope with . 

I also wonder if fluid can be physically drained to give her some relief .... her quality of life isn't great at present , and it would help. 
You certainly have some difficult decisions to make  :hug: 

• Like 1

It’s not an easy decision to make .. I have a Cav too and it’s always a worry that she may get MVD as she is nearly 10.

You could try getting the fluid drained at least to make her more comfortable and if that doesn’t work then reassess.

Good luck with everything :hug: 

• Like 1

I'll be blunt. The time has come. I agree with your daughter. As a nurse we can't help our patients pass with dignity but we can help our beloved pets. I'm so sorry you are facing this. God speed to you and your beloved friend :heart:

• Like 5

It is a tremendous gift to be able to give our beloved dogs a good death, rather than suffering in their final moments. It would seem your daughter appreciates this keenly, with her experience as a paramedic. I wish you peace and strength at this difficult time. 

Trigger warning
[spoiler]My first dog died of heart failure, drowning in the fluid and seizing. It was a horrific, traumatic death. It has shaped my firm belief that a week too soon is better than a moment too late. I would give anything to go back and stop his suffering.[/spoiler]

eta I don’t know how to hide that can someone help me

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Jemappelle, Yes, she is on the maximum dose of fluid pills and 0thers.

Her resting heart rate is around 70BPM, her lungs are now fairly free of fluid on the max tablets, but she has a cough. 

Te cough may be more due to her enlarged heart leaning on bronchial tubes.

Your dogs are beautiful.

• Like 1