Puppies & Orbeez

Dachshund_lover92

My family purchased a very expensive puppy on a Sunday, she was very quiet and wouldn’t engage with us. Sadly Wednesday morning she passed away, our local vet had done an autopsy report and found an orbeez water bead blocking her intestines. The breeder refuses to refund any money even tho the water bead never came from my house. Is it worth pursuing further legal action to recover the money lost or should we just accept the tragic passing of our beloved very new puppy.

• Sad 3

did you take the pup to the vet for her post sale check up? Had a vet seen her at all before she died?

You would have to prove the pup swallowed the bead at the breeders house I would think to get any money back but I must say, as a breeder, I would be devastated and yes would have refunded something, as long as you had taken the pup to the vet sometime before she died.

• Like 3

I'm very sorry for your unexpected loss. I guess it depends on what kind of breeder you purchased from as they are not all created equal. Did you have a contract? What terms are in that? Document everything while it is still fresh in your mind. I am in QLD and I know there are law groups who you can call for a free consult. If they have the same in your state they can advise where you stand legally. Animals are considered property and property needs to be fit for purpose. Usually if your product 'breaks' you contact the seller and can claim under the warranty on the item. But obviously when a living creature 'breaks' the seller will be wanting to know if it is a fault in their product they are responsible for or whether it happened from 'misuse'.

I would think an ethical breeder would try to assist you through this very difficult time even if they weren't at fault but I think you will have a difficult time proving where the water bead was ingested (unless autopsy was able to provide evidence of how long it had been in the puppies system?). A back yard breeder or puppy farmer who is only in it for the money will likely not give a toss about your tragic situation.

Again, I'm sorry you are going through this.

• Like 1