Patella Luxation Post Op Recovery

c13

We have our Toy Poodle recovering from his Patella Luxation surgery which was done 4 days ago (The knee sat too high on him and had to be re-grooved and be pinned, they also mentioned muscle or tendon has to stretch overtime).

He is very lightly putting it down but still with a limp and without his bandage on you can see he is a bit bow legged in that knee like he used to look when his patella was out. He is very restless and has a decent amount of inflammation, he is no stranger to pain as his front leg is currently bandaged up with having a fracture repair on a bone that’s been broken 3 times and has a hyperextension in that leg.. However our guy is struggling to get comfortable and is trying to roll or sit on that same side that he just had his patella surgery on however is seriously yelping/screaming loudly when he goes to! Our vet has been great, they said they x-rayed and examined him and it looked fine with the pin etc and said over time

his leg should shift back into straight, they put a bandage back onto his leg to keep him a bit straighter and more comfortable for a couple of days and just said see how he goes however he is still yelping when he is trying to lay down or sit on that side! We know it’s still fresh with surgery but has anyone else been through anything similar?

We just don’t love to hear our little guy scream like that! He has been through so much that we wouldn’t want to just ignore his yelps and miss something. 

Edited by c13
  • Sad 1

he might need another vet check ... he may be ultra-sensitive - or he may (I don't know you or your dog) know that crying brings Mum & dad ... As Rebanne suggested- I'd be talking to the Vet again before the weekend! 
Poor little fella- he must be miserable :( I know my dog was when he was done . 

• Like 2

No we got told that he should be fine without physio/rehab and not to worry?

We are just worried because it seems to be causing him a great deal of pain trying to get comfortable with that leg. This guy isn’t a stranger to being uncomfortable as his front leg is a fracture repair that didn’t work in December, got a second surgery in April with a bone graft - that finally is in last healing stages and looks very good but this back leg has knocked him for 6!

has anyone’s dog had the issue of not looking like a straight leg or an issue with getting it comfortable? 

32 minutes ago, c13 said:

has anyone’s dog had the issue of not looking like a straight leg or an issue with getting it comfortable? 

I have had my own dog done, and seen others, and from memory have not seen what you describe. I'd be back to the vet . Something may have gone wrong ...and yes, therewould be benefit in having some sort of rehab/physio input. 

• Like 3