Apoquel alternative

Boronia

17 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Cytopoint, perhaps.

I had a read about that Cytopint PK, it looks really good and I'd jump at it

but...

Apoquel costs a smidgen over $60 per month and the Cytopoint is $160 per month (injection) so a bit out of the question money-wise.

Bummer

Boronia, Because we can’t quite figure out what Molly is allergic to she has been given the cytopoint injection. She had her first back in March ( I think) and then sailed through winter just fine. I honestly think her itchiness is seasonal as for the last 3 years almost to the exact week she has started itching. This happens usually October/ November and continues through the summer. I took her to the vets and she received the cytopoint injection and figured I’d be back to the vets a month later. So far she has done really well and it will be 6 weeks tomorrow since having it. I know it is expensive but to have a dog that doesn’t scratch all the time and acts normal is enough for me to do it. I think I paid  $115. A bit of a difference from where you go. I can understand why it’s out of the question. At the moment I feel super lucky Molly is getting more time out of it. 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I’m feeling super lucky ( touch wood) Molly is still not itching and it’s almost 3 months since her injection. Hopefully we’ll get to the cooler months with no issues. I find she doesn’t scratch during the winter months. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Our good luck ran out this last week. Molly started itching again. Just back from the vets now. Another cytopoint injection and fingers crossed that’s it until Oct/Nov We got 18 weeks out of the last one and she usuallly doesn’t scratch in the cooler months. 

• Like 5

Obviously dogs can have allergies to a huge range of things, but has anyone tried cutting out grains from their diets? Our dog used to have very very bad skin (chest, paws, ears all inflamed), she used to get injections from the vet as that was the only thing that helped, but we were advised it wasn't a good long term solution, then my sister who had a dog with similar issues cut grains out of his diet and it cleared it right up - we tried the same thing, and worked for us too - took a few weeks to completely go away, but she now has no issues with her skin.

• Like 1