Boykin Spaniel Breeders Australia

jrichards

No particular knowledge ... but they;re not showing up in a normal sort of search.    One source had some information which might help to explain why they're not here.

https://justusdogs.com.au/boykin-spaniel/

More than one third of all Boykin puppies are born with hip dysplasia. This can be diagnosed at age 2. These dogs should not be bred. This breed’s other problems include patella luxation, eye problems, and cardiac/pulmonary defects along with allergies and general orthopedic anomalies.

A study in 2010 found that more than half of this breed tested had the genetic disorder called Exercise Induced Collapse or EIC. This is the highest incidence of any breed tested. The University of Minnesota is conducting more testing on these dogs.

Breeders should provide health certificates on the puppy you are purchasing, and also on the parents.

• Like 1

I do not know of any breeders in Australia but that does not mean that there are none.

The smaller/ rarer Gundog breeds are not as popular in Australia as the Labradors because field shooting is not so popular as it used to be and real working bred dogs are hard to come by.  There are a few cross breeds eg Murray River Curlycoated Retriever in existence but again, you might be struggling to find one for sale, and it would take years to get the Boykin on the ANKC register

You ought to be able to source a working bred Cocker if you are patient - I have two !

6 hours ago, Tassie said:

No particular knowledge ... but they;re not showing up in a normal sort of search.    One source had some information which might help to explain why they're not here.

https://justusdogs.com.au/boykin-spaniel/

More than one third of all Boykin puppies are born with hip dysplasia. This can be diagnosed at age 2. These dogs should not be bred. This breed’s other problems include patella luxation, eye problems, and cardiac/pulmonary defects along with allergies and general orthopedic anomalies.

A study in 2010 found that more than half of this breed tested had the genetic disorder called Exercise Induced Collapse or EIC. This is the highest incidence of any breed tested. The University of Minnesota is conducting more testing on these dogs.

Breeders should provide health certificates on the puppy you are purchasing, and also on the parents.

Barb, thanks so much flagging this. Seems like tracking down a breeder in Australia is near impossible anyway - but it won't be something I will persist with given the detail you provided. Thanks very much 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JRG said:

I do not know of any breeders in Australia but that does not mean that there are none.

The smaller/ rarer Gundog breeds are not as popular in Australia as the Labradors because field shooting is not so popular as it used to be and real working bred dogs are hard to come by.  There are a few cross breeds eg Murray River Curlycoated Retriever in existence but again, you might be struggling to find one for sale, and it would take years to get the Boykin on the ANKC register

You ought to be able to source a working bred Cocker if you are patient - I have two !

Thanks for this. 

We are definitely interested in the working cocker spaniel. We're very active and have the capacity to spend time on more advanced training, my hesitation is whether this breed have the ability to relax during down time at home. 

If you're happy to share, would love to understand your level of activity training and how your two behave when they are home?

I would doubt anyone has brought them into Australia as there an American breed.
Great little dogs ,have seen them in the rings in the US
Whilst they have health issue that study was 10 years ago based on stock pre then.
DNA testing for EIC which affects other breeds in Australia is know available .

Maybe consider the Nova Scotia Duck Toller or Field Spaniel ,if going working Cocker then like any breed pick a breeder who health tests & breeds for sound mined

• Like 1