15 week old Great Dane puppy with thin fur

iilysium

Hi everyone! I have the sweetest 15 year old great dane puppy.

We noticed he has thin areas of fur like around his ears, eyes, and joints. Ive attached pictures for reference.

My partner is concerned. It is spring so I wonder if its seasonal. Otherwise he is healthy with no scratching, his fur is shiny and soft, and I have him on a balanced raw diet. Before that he was on kibbles and his fur wasn't shiny, but switching food sources hasnt made his coat fuller. He also gets salmon oil with his food. We took him to the vet who basically...told us it can be anything. 

Is this a cause for concern??

Resized_20201126_184652.jpeg

Resized_20201126_184709.jpeg

20201127_223208.jpg

Edited by iilysium

Do you give Vitamin E as a supplement? The reason I'm asking is that Vitamin E helps process fish oil (Google 'do dogs need vitamin E with fish oil, (can show arthritis symptoms)) but to get back to the loss of hair; vitamin E is helpful in hair growth (as is zinc) so maybe it'd be worth a supplement with those two combined

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boronia said:

Do you give Vitamin E as a supplement? The reason I'm asking is that Vitamin E helps process fish oil (Google 'do dogs need vitamin E with fish oil, (can show arthritis symptoms)) but to get back to the loss of hair; vitamin E is helpful in hair growth (as is zinc) so maybe it'd be worth a supplement with those two combined

Oh, no, I havent given vitamin e as a supplement. But i will try that! Thanks. 

What advice has the breeder given ?
Sorry to ask is the pup full Great Dane or a slight mix??

I would be inclined to take the collar off due to the lack of hair underneath or certainly be mindful off that area in watching for irritation .
I would want a skin scraping done to rule out mites .
Also a raw diet is only as good is it being right portions .

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, iilysium said:

Hi! The vet has not done a scrape. Is it expensive?

Not really.
What flea treatment are you using? Some cover mites, but if it's a flare-up of demodex (not uncommon in puppies if we're talking about a pup) you may need something stronger. 

I can't really tell by the photos but are we looking at a blue dog?

Edited by Powerlegs
  • Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 6:01 PM, persephone said:

This was the breeder who was feeding raw chicken mince  - new owner changed diet . 

Which does not bode well for the breeder being of any help. :(

How about getting a second opinion from another vet, illysium? It is what I would do if I or my partner were worried. You only get one chance to grow a puppy well, and I agree with Rebanne that from your photos your pup doesn’t seem to be thriving.

• Like 3