Skeletal problems: Big vs small bones

As a Labrador breeder, I looked for "good bone", as in large and solid.  I've stepped away from the breed a bit, now have a field bred Springer (ESS) that I'm thinking of breeding. Which means asking myself what to look for in a stud.

Look at photos on Springer FB groups I see a wide range in build types.  I've begun to wonder if a more wirey frame (think kelpie) isn't better from a structural and health perspective.  Seems like the lithe breeds have fewer problems with hips and elbows.  Is that going to be true of individuals within a breed as well? 

Opinions? 

Edited by sandgrubber

You are right,  working ESS vary tremendously so It rather depends on the sort of work the pups will end up doing.  A dog that is going to be asked to put in 24/7 needs a different structure to a coach potato.  My maxim is “go with what you like” but choose something that is sound and middle of the road,  not excessive in any way.  I ask myself “do I want that look to represent me/my legacy”

interestingly, people say to me that they can tell one of my dogs anywhere, so be sure it is a style you like!

if you want me to be more specific pm or email me.