Sporting Register

leac1801

Maybe someone here is able to clarify for me, because I'm not getting anywhere with my state body.

I have a KNPV Malinois. She has no formal pedigree, her sire is now with a government agency, her dam is from lines utilised by those who produce dogs for the same work. The bitch has a Bloedlijnen Registration Number, which is an informal Dutch system, the dog does not. I know both dogs, I know the parents of these dogs, the breeder knows the lines well etc.

My bitch does IGP, and I would like to do some ANKC sports, but as there is a possibility she could be used as a brood bitch, the Associate Register doesn't work for me. I am just after clarification that she could be registered with the UKC on their Performance Register, or a Single Registration, which would then allow her to be registered on the ANKC Sporting Register. If not them, then is there another ? I just want to do more sports :(

Edited by leac1801

You need to work out whether your girl meets any of the criteria outlined in the ANKC Regulations Part 6 The Register and Registration Section 6.9 Registration of Sporting Dogs — on Sporting Register (see screenshot attached). 

http://ankc.org.au/media/9446/6-ankc-ltd-reg6_registration_aug-20v2.pdf

The ANKC website also contains a list of recognise sporting bodies here: 

http://ankc.org.au/media/9392/ankc-ltd-_wdakb-list_feb-19v2.pdf

I guess depending on what sports you’re looking at, you can compete in agility through associations such as:

ADAA (predominately NSW and QLD) — https://adaa.com.au

NADAC (VIC based) — https://www.nadacaustralia.com

Edit: From my very quick read-through, it would appear that UKC registered dogs would be accepted on the Sporting Register with proof of your and your dog’s membership with the UKC. 

In terms of whether your dog is eligible for UKC registration is a question you’d need to put forward to the UKC. 

Hope this helps!

1EF490F3-8054-4D00-AF9B-B5E78DB2CA60.jpeg

Edited by Princess Fru Fru

Actually I believe I found the answer to your question on the Sporting Register application form. It states in the Please Note Section 1 that the application needs to be accompanied by a certified copy of the dog’s registration with one of the kindred bodies I linked to above (UKC is included) and the applicant must be a financial member of Dogs West. 

Sporting+Dog+Registration+Oct+09.pdf

The only thing that doesn't apply to her, is if she is registered with in overseas registry, she doesn't have any import papers as she was born here. All the other registries are for either pedigreed purebreds, or working sheep dogs/BCs/Kelpies/Koolies. I've looked at all the forms and regulations inside and out, but I can't 100% make it out.

When I emailed asking for clarification, I was told to send paperwork supporting her working and government agency lines – paperwork that doesn't exist. Her dam and sire's sire have Bloedlijnen Registration Numbers, but it's not that hard to get those. All I would have to do is flick off an email with her name, my name, her gender, breed and DOB, my state and country, her dam and sire's BRNs and names, and any titles she may have. 

God, this is so confusing. 

7 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

What sports are you wanting to compete in that she is currently ineligible for 

Lure coursing, Noseworks, Tracking and Track and Search. Maybe an ET. She has extreme prey and hunt drives, and I'm competitive and want titles :shrug: 

25 minutes ago, leac1801 said:

Lure coursing, Noseworks, Tracking and Track and Search. Maybe an ET. She has extreme prey and hunt drives, and I'm competitive and want titles :shrug: 

So she can do all that on the associate register  but I’m gathering as you don’t want her spayed there lies your issue .

So in the end it comes down to having the info to meet a recognised ANKC option ,breeding her then spaying her to compete in ANKC .

UKC i gather your meaning the America which won’t give you a back door option to ANKC as UKC papers aren’t part of the reconized body anyway .

11 hours ago, leac1801 said:

The only thing that doesn't apply to her, is if she is registered with in overseas registry, she doesn't have any import papers as she was born here. All the other registries are for either pedigreed purebreds, or working sheep dogs/BCs/Kelpies/Koolies. I've looked at all the forms and regulations inside and out, but I can't 100% make it out.

Unfortunately it sounds like she's ineligible for the SR in this case.  Maybe reach out on FaceBook on the Agility Australia page and ask there too -- I'm sure I've seen a SR German Shorthaired Pointer competing in ANKC Agility but can't be 100% certain.

Aside from being what I call a "title collector", there are many ways to enjoy some of the sports you've listed above -- I've already provided two other non-ANKC agility options. Noseworks you can also compete via non-ANKC through ACSW (Australian Canine Scent Works): https://acsw.com.au/

Edited by Princess Fru Fru

1 hour ago, sandgrubber said:

IMO, stuff like this kills the Kennel Clubs.  They become one more mindless burocracy.  When it comes to working and sporting dogs, there are so many excellent dogs that can never have pedigree papers.  

The sports themselves suffer for it. As does potential for canine ability.

At least one of my dogs has been able to participate in working sports at the discretion of the organisers, as he was clearly of recognised working breeding.

But I'm not sure how that worked. ( and out performed the pedigrees of his closest breed in the clubs 10 year history, while discounting some commonly held beliefs of working dogs in general, for those fields )

• Like 2

You can do nose work through ACSW

On their website you’ll find lists of certified K9 Nose Work instructors, rule books, trials info and more, although for trial info following the ACSW Facebook page and joining the Aussie Noseworkers group may be better.

You don’t mention it but if tricks interest you there’s Do More With Your Dog tricks titles and while it’s not a sport, Deb Jones has created Virtual Titling for Cooperative Care (animal husbandry).

Oh and then there are the Fenzi Dog Sports TEAM titles. Now that I think about it you’d probably love all the courses over at Fenzi Dog Sports Academy!

Edited by Papillon Kisses

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2020 at 10:43 PM, leac1801 said:

When I emailed asking for clarification, I was told to send paperwork supporting her working and government agency lines – paperwork that doesn't exist. Her dam and sire's sire have Bloedlijnen Registration Numbers, but it's not that hard to get those. All I would have to do is flick off an email with her name, my name, her gender, breed and DOB, my state and country, her dam and sire's BRNs and names, and any titles she may have. 

God, this is so confusing. 

I know a couple of people in Australia who have had their non pedigree (entire) dogs put on a UK sporting register for this very reason. They had to take clear photos of the dogs front and side views to submit with the process.

Edited by Kirislin