Taking a puppy on a flight this Christmas

ALIA

I am based in Sydney and have a 4 month old puppy (dachshund/fox terrier cross) and I have been invited to Perth, WA for Christmas. I would intend to stay a week. Irrespective of cost, I would like to hear people's views on whether I should arrange to fly my puppy across with me? Have other people flown puppies at a similar age? My puppy is very chilled out and used to car journeys but I recognise this is a totally different experience plus a minimum 5 hour flight. Am i crazy to be thinking of doing this?

My big question mark is the weather. I find puppies usually fly well, but heat is a major risk. Dogs have died flying in summer  - mostly from the amount of time waiting around on ground and the conditions in which they wait. I would only do a crack of dawn direct flight, and even then probably wouldn’t this time of year. If you do, have a plan b and be prepared to cancel and reschedule if it looks dangerous or you strike a heatwave. 

• Like 4

I think I’m going with the others.  Too risky in the middle of summer.  You’d like to think baggage handlers would take care that a dog wasn’t left sitting on top of suitcases in the boiling sun, but I can tell you from my own experience (not hearsay) that that is not necessarily the case.  :(   :(

• Sad 2

I would suggest getting a spot on a flight for the dog will be the bigger challenge,Covid has severely affected pet transportation.

My dogs fly a lot and picking flights is a priority but this year has changed all the normal 

• Like 1

On 14/12/2020 at 5:09 PM, Dogsfevr said:

I would suggest getting a spot on a flight for the dog will be the bigger challenge,Covid has severely affected pet transportation.

My dogs fly a lot and picking flights is a priority but this year has changed all the normal 

I agree having just spent a month trying to get  a dog on a flight to Perth.  Success eventually but at only 15 hours notice and not on the same flight as the owner!

4 hours ago, JRG said:

I agree having just spent a month trying to get  a dog on a flight to Perth.  Success eventually but at only 15 hours notice and not on the same flight as the owner!

We have clients here who have a week wait fir there first lot of pets but that may change with the Perth heatwave next week 

2 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Only if you are allowed to take the pup as cabin luggage (carry-on). 

Unless the regs have changed, this is never allowed within Australia unless an Assistance dog

• Like 1