High value treats

NikkiandKane

Hi everyone, at our most recent show Chase was very unfocused on me and very focussed on picking up dropped treats from the ground of the ring.

I realise I need higher value, irresistible treats, so I would love suggestions for some delicious treats for use only in the ring?

Actually it’s not just about the treats .

What was on the floor was more interesting than the job at hand .

Dog wasnt interested in your voice and direction which is part of the show ring tool kit.

Lead placement ,speed and joy from you will win out over food .

Food is your final tool .

But for options it’s what your dog works for which is like a box of chocolates.

I use fish fingers,tiny teddies,bakery bread,sausage,chicken nuggets,banana chips ,steak,chicken,cat biscuits,liver home cooked .

• Like 4

I make a variation of these baked into a pyramid/dot pan. Original recipe is fine but I double the salmon and add mackerel, sardines in spring water and anchovy, and use oat flour (oats ground in a food processor) rather than wheat flour as we don’t have that in the house. It’s a forgiving recipe. :) 

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Salmon-Crack-Dog-Treats-Great-Treats-for-Gaining-Focus-During-Dog-Agility-Training-or-Competitions 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dogsfevr said:

Actually it’s not just about the treats .

What was on the floor was more interesting than the job at hand .

Dog wasnt interested in your voice and direction which is part of the show ring tool kit.

Lead placement ,speed and joy from you will win out over food .

Food is your final tool .

Yes I understand, at 4.5 months it’s all just practice to help him to focus even with distraction. He’s great at home and at the local oval when we practice but in the ring when he’s a tired baby, sometimes the only tool that’s gonna win is the food. Hopefully with maturity and work he becomes more engaged in me in that environment too!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

I make a variation of these baked into a pyramid/dot pan. Original recipe is fine but I double the salmon and add mackerel, sardines in spring water and anchovy, and use oat flour (oats ground in a food processor) rather than wheat flour as we don’t have that in the house. It’s a forgiving recipe. :) 

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Salmon-Crack-Dog-Treats-Great-Treats-for-Gaining-Focus-During-Dog-Agility-Training-or-Competitions 

Great thanks :love:

34 minutes ago, tdierikx said:

Naughty puppy antics... I'm sure he will grow out of them at some point... lol!

Dogsfevr has some great tips there though...

Good thing Chase is just so darned handsome, isn't it?

T.

It is because he is still doing well! I just need to work hard to drag his attention away from food in the ground. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NikkiandKane said:

Yes I understand, at 4.5 months it’s all just practice to help him to focus even with distraction. He’s great at home and at the local oval when we practice but in the ring when he’s a tired baby, sometimes the only tool that’s gonna win is the food. Hopefully with maturity and work he becomes more engaged in me in that environment too!

Actually this is the best age to engage puppy .

Dont over train the showing,it’s boring repetitive and you can teach quickly to unengage 

Leash training is walking .

Stacking and focus training be creative .

I will train puppies with various distractions,toys,balls even food on the floor .

Introduce more interesting training tools like free stacks on the jackpot spot.

Teach walk up onto a mat things that brain focus and watching you is more exciting 

Puppies crave there humans at this age for learning,listening BUT will switch off quickly to repetitive boring .

I actually do very little show training as such with my guys but focus on fun games that work in the ring 

• Like 4

Disclaimer ... I was lucky enough to have other people showing my two Border Collies for me ... but some really good suggestions from @Dogsfevr - I use those sorts of things for training in other disciplines.  

In terms of actual food .. my go to show food treats - human grade liver (i.e. from butcher or supermarket .. rinsed in mild and cold water, boiled in stock pot .. from cold .. for about an hour or so.  Sliced when it's cool enough .. sort of hand size or a bit smaller .. can then be broken up into smaller pieces for use in the ring.  Pat dry with paper towel, pack into snack bags,  and freeze.  Then on show morning, just grab as many packs as you need.  My handlers just take a few slices from the pack and break it up as they need  it.  The dogs only get this at shows, so as soon as they see it, they know what the go is.

The extreme cooking etc. is me being super cautious.  We're not technically allowed to feed offal to our dogs in Tasmania, because of the risk of hydatids tapeworm .. (the dog is the intermediate host).

Thanks guys, we used hot dog in the ring. My little boy did super well. We got a baby puppy of breed and even though we didn’t win group we did very well and his focus on

me improved so much. We haven’t been

’show training’ much, mostly working on focus and engagement. Keeping him interested in me. He is such a great boy, his temperament is amazing and he loves the show ring.

615A82AD-5CFB-4F0C-96B8-B6711252331E.jpeg

0FAC22E7-4A06-44A8-B60A-4AE750A2375F.png

• Like 5

Oh that is such a great update!   Well done to you and the cute lad.     And well done for concentrating on focus and engagement .. that will serve you well down the track too.

And what .. no kangarooing in the ring.?

:crazy:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tassie said:

Oh that is such a great update!   Well done to you and the cute lad.     And well done for concentrating on focus and engagement .. that will serve you well down the track too.

And what .. no kangarooing in the ring.?

:crazy:

No actually, he did sit while the judge was looking at his bite and he wildly wagged his tail the whole time she went over him but he behaved very nicely. He loves it so much, I’m so proud of how well he takes everything in his stride. So much love:love:

• Like 4

18 hours ago, NikkiandKane said:

No actually, he did sit while the judge was looking at his bite and he wildly wagged his tail the whole time she went over him but he behaved very nicely. He loves it so much, I’m so proud of how well he takes everything in his stride. So much love:love:

Oh bless him.  Happy in the ring is IMO one of the most important things!

• Like 2