Puppies feeding help

Rebelle

Our female dog just had puppies, 

We have hand fed at the vet due to them but latching straight away and mum being abit to rough. 

What do I do ? Do I continue to hand feed? This is the first time I've had dramas like this with a litter.

She will not settled when we bring her the puppies, she will not lay down to feed them just over excited and rough. I'm too scared to let her any closer incase she harms  them. Any suggestions welcome. 

What breed? First litter? Can take 2 or 3 days before fully accepting  after a c-section, particularly if first litter. Did the pups get any colostrum? I'd be keeping pups away and only putting on Mum under full supervision. Might need to hold Mum down initially. Are you giving extra calcium? Mum in a quiet spot? Pups really need to drink from Mum so she continues to produce milk.

• Like 2

I think Rebanne covered everything you need to be doing.

Pups need to be fed every two hours. Put them on Mum first and then top them up with a bottle. At the moment I'm using a Miracle Nipple for feeding my pups. It's the best teat ever.

Say goodbye to a goods night sleep for a few weeks. It's well worth it though.

• Like 1

I've tried all night and morning, mum won't relax she is just staring at them drooling loke she wants to eat them, she nips at them when I put them close. I put a muzzle on her and she just goes crazy. I want them to be on her but she is making it hard.

It's a hard one.  I had a neighbor whose favorite Rotty bitch would kill her puppies, given a chance.  They literally had to strap her down and muzzle her to let the pups feed.  The puppies survived through a mixture of bottle feeding and nursing, but the whole thing was pretty traumatic.  Here's hoping your problem isn't that bad. 

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 1

It would help if we knew what breed we are talking about here... some breeds have a history of issues like this that can be remedied reasonably easily... others not so much.

I would also be talking to your vet to see what their thoughts are on the matter.

T.

• Like 3

had a chi girl who just got so excited she trampled to death her first litter and when she had her second was no better. nancys vet gave her a sedative. no memory what it was. but ask your vet, she slept like a log, puppies had great feed so got all their colostrum and gave her less the next day and the next.  by then she was cool with having a real LIVE litter and was wonderful mum from then on, and didnt forget when she had her second litter was top notch mum no sedation needed.  Lot to learn breeding is not always like the books say

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

It's a hard one.  I had a neighbor whose favorite Rotty bitch would kill her puppies, given a chance.  They literally had to strap her down and muzzle her to let the pups feed.  The puppies survived through a mixture of bottle feeding and nursing, but the whole thing was pretty traumatic.  Here's hoping your problem isn't that bad. 

I had a bitch who would kill the pups .

She could not be left with them but with thinking outside the box we could assist her to cope with feeding.

She actually hated them crawling around her and just couldn’t cope.

Take her to a neutral area with no other pups around she would allow feeds with us being her support.

When pups turned 6 weeks she was an amazing mum fir p,aging but the crying,crawling she couldn’t process