Opinions on The Lykos breed in Australia (Dogs in Wolfsuits)

What is your experience with this breed?

I know that there's been sick puppies in some previous litters. One died according to the Lykos Facebook page. There was a whole investigation on it.

Is it something to do with the German Shepherd x husky mix causing all the sick puppies?

Everywhere I look I cannot seem to get a proper answer.

Especially if I was to buy one while living in Sunbury Victoria. I wouldn't be able to see the conditions the puppies are raised in. I'm VERY cautious.

It seems that the people behind the “Australian Lykos Development Project” are the same people selling the puppies,  so I’m not sure that their independent Code of Conduct  means much to th be outside world.  Tread carefully Aussiegal02 !

• Like 3

Opinion: cross a husky and a GSD and you get something that looks like what people think a wolf looks like.  There's no reason to think the result will be unhealthy.  It's anyone's guess what the temperament will be. Personally, there are good things about both breeds, but there are also problems with both, and I wouldn't take the risk, especially not for a high price. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

Opinion: cross a husky and a GSD and you get something that looks like what people think a wolf looks like.  There's no reason to think the result will be unhealthy.  It's anyone's guess what the temperament will be. Personally, there are good things about both breeds, but there are also problems with both, and I wouldn't take the risk, especially not for a high price. 

unless of course no health testing has been done on the parents

It does sound like something of the Woodle about it - appeal to a niche market who are seeking what exactly?  Like the cross becoming available between Anatolian Sheps and St Bernards - the temperament intention is to soften the Ana's attitude while ramping up the St B's guarding ability.  Great looking pups, but neither the temperament nor suitability for livestock guardian jobs are givens.   

I think there would be more risk again with the Husky/Alsatian cross - such different trainability likelihoods, why would you? 

Edit add: googled and they are quite lovely lookers - doesn't change the worry of a slightly difficult to manage/contain dog being seen in increasing numbers.

Edited by PossumCorner
fixt
2 hours ago, Rebanne said:

unless of course no health testing has been done on the parents

From the website... looks better than most designer dog breeding, indeed, many pedigree breeders. 

"Our commitment to you is to provide you with a top quality Lykos puppy, whose parents/grandparents etc have been hip/elbow x-rayed, temperament tested and fully DNA screened against every possible disease or trait available.  This commitment is made to you in writing in our of Puppy Sale Agreement and Guarantee."

Grandparents being hip/elbow screened is above ANKC standards. Giving a written guarantee on hips/elbows is also unusually good. 

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 1

GSD breeders have been hip and elbow scoring for generations. As I can't be bothered reading a DD breeders website I'll take your word that a written guarantee on sound hips and elbows is given as opposed to a guarantee that parents etc have been scored.

We live in a world where if something can be done, then it is my right to do it and bugger the consequences and even more bugger if anyone or any creature suffers because it is my right to do whatever I want.   :mad   :mad 

I nearly implode with anger and frustration when I hear the words “cavoodle” “labradoodle” “schnoodle [FFS], et al.  

This attitude is across every aspect of our lives.  Yes, I know , I am Henny Penny, not Pollyanna.   :laugh:   :laugh:

• Like 3

If there is a reason, responsibility  and a plan (testing, registers, ongoing selection and a thousand other things) - then the creation of a new breed (as opposed to random breeding and spending more time coming up with an exciting sounding name than animal management/care/responsibility) is in itself not something I immediately dismiss.

All breeds started somewhere - there may have been a plan, or they may have come from function led breeding - but every one came from humans deciding what they wanted and doing matings with different dogs until they reached their desired outcome - and that desired outcome became a registered breed.

I am not commenting on these dogs - I have no idea if the offspring is consistent in look/temperament/trainability/behaviour, I don't know their health (physical and mental), or what the programs plan is (or whether they have one).  

They are two breeds which can be 'highly strung' (not a technical term :laugh:), noisy/talkative and sometime require more than their fair share of work (and knowledge) to channel their intelligence, energy and motivation in to being a good citizen.    The best of both breeds would be amazing - anything less could be a train wreck.   

• Like 2

One of the problems with trying to develop new stable genetic combinations is the number of genes involved and the extent of variance within those combinations.  It requires a vast number of animals, resources and money and very few groups have such resources at their disposal.   So we get individuals using a small number of breed representatives to attempt to predict the outcome for the whole breed.  In this case it is a number of breeds involved so the statistical answers are even smaller.

i am never sure what the ultimate aim is, but good luck to all involved, you are in for a long and bumpy ride!

I had a look at the website. It’s beautiful and has some impressive photos but I was concerned by some gaps.

It claims that they’re breeding for a purpose rather than breeding designer dogs, but I couldn’t find any clear statement of that purpose. 

It also claims that “We are experienced in dog breeding, genetics and have the highest standards when it comes to health and temperament, as well as comprehensive DNA testing and hip and elbow x-raying all dogs used for breeding.”

Despite the claimed experience in genetics, the site talks a great deal about the temperament and abilities of F1 dogs, without acknowledging that there is likely to be greatly increased variation in temperament and trainability in F2 and subsequent generations due to genetic reassortment.

Despite the claims for comprehensive DNA testing, the only DNA tests they seem to be doing are for DM and MDR1. They are apparently not screening for eye disease, which can be an issue in huskies.

Personally, I love and have owned both breeds, but I would be wary of owning a cross between the two. Imagine a dog with the size of a GSD and the prey drive of a husky, or one with the protective and territorial instincts of a GSD and the wilfulness of a husky.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
  • Like 3
47 minutes ago, DogsAndTheMob said:

I had a look at the website. It’s beautiful and has some impressive photos but I was concerned by some gaps.

It claims that they’re breeding for a purpose rather than breeding designer dogs, but I couldn’t find any clear statement of that purpose. 

It also claims that “We are experienced in dog breeding, genetics and have the highest standards when it comes to health and temperament, as well as comprehensive DNA testing and hip and elbow x-raying all dogs used for breeding.”

Despite the claimed experience in genetics, the site talks a great deal about the temperament and abilities of F1 dogs, without acknowledging that there is likely to be greatly increased variation in temperament and trainability in F2 and subsequent generations due to genetic reassortment.

Despite the claims for comprehensive DNA testing, the only DNA tests they seem to be doing are for DM and MDR1. They are apparently not screening for eye disease, which can be an issue in huskies.

Personally, I love and have owned both breeds, but I would be wary of owning a cross between the two. Imagine a dog with the size of a GSD and the prey drive of a husky, or one with the protective and territorial instincts of a GSD and the wilfulness of a husky.

They aren't concerned about F2 because they clearly don't want buyers to breed from their dogs/bitches.  At least they have stopped doing early neutering and are doing some cash back thing when mature dogs are neutered.  It would be interesting to see their health guarantees.  I didn't spend enough time with the site to try and determine whether their own breeding program is going towards the FN cross as required to establish a new breed.  

• Like 1

I understand the niche they are trying to fill. The appeal of the "wolfy" look of the husky, but with an easier pet temperament. I can also understand that the creation of this particualr breed from those two aprticular breed will take many, many generations!

@Aussiegal02

Being a pedigree forum, and this a not a recognised breed, this forum is not the best place to ask.

All you can do is your own research, and best to contact buyers of these pups, and their breeders. 

Anyone else has only opinion to offer, and on a pedigree forum, this is most often going to be biased towards the  predictability of long established breeds.

Cross breeding (regardless of purpose) is not the area of expertise here. I would look into how closely bred the lines being used are to achieve the look and traits being promoted for the Lykos.

The 'mix' is unlikely to be an issue in itself. 

• Like 1

@Aussiegal02

You should be cautious buying any dog, regardless of whether the dog is a recognised purebred or a mixed breed, and whether it’s sourced from a breeder, a rescue or a shelter. If you’re on Facebook, the group Functional Breeding may be of interest to you.

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 3