becoming a registered breeder NSW

yvonnelouise

Hi all a friend of mine is wanting to become a registered breeder NSW, she has been offered a boy on mains register but when she has read the becoming a breeder sections it says, she's needs to be a financial member for 6 months, needs to acquire a female on mains, when she breeds she needs to use a boy owned by a registered breeder and then apply 

to be a registered breeder. This seems odd the way its worded, do new breeders in new have to hire a stud the first time or is it okayy for them to buy a stud on mains and girls on mains so own both,,,,she cant ring as office is closed

Edited by yvonnelouise
wrong word

Troy  -    I think this question is in the wrong section,  please can it be moved so that more people see it and answer?

The wording is strange, but I think what it means is that before she can apply for a prefix she needs to join the NSW kennel  association and have been a member for at least six months.  (During that time she will be able to transfer the registrations of any pedigree dogs she owns into her name.) Once the six months is up she can apply for a prefix and, once that prefix is granted, can proceed to breed using a dog and a bitch already on the mains register or that’s hn she subsequently purchases and registers.  The bitch must be in her name on the register before it whelps for her to be able to register the pups in her prefix.

Maybe someone else can clarify further, but that is my reading of the regulations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yvonnelouise said:

Hi all a friend of mine is wanting to become a registered breeder NSW, she has been offered a boy on mains register but when she has read the becoming a breeder sections it says, she's needs to be a financial member for 6 months, needs to acquire a female on mains, when she breeds she needs to use a boy owned by a registered breeder and then apply 

to be a registered breeder. This seems odd the way its worded, do new breeders in new have to hire a stud the first time or is it okayy for them to buy a stud on mains and girls on mains so own both,,,,she cant ring as office is closed

Absurd.  Too many hoops to jump through.  Restricting entry is the last thing clubs should be doing when membership is in decline and unregistered pups are costing thousands. 

She should get a prefix before breeding any girl, not the the other way around. Technically I think it’s before whelping, but given it can take a while I would do it before mating. The dog used doesn’t have to be owned by another registered breeder. However, it does need to be mains registered and owned by a financial member of one of the state ANKC affiliates. She can own both. I have just read the become a breeder page and it doesn’t suggest otherwise. 
To own a male and let him be used at stud you need to be a financial member and the dog on mains. For some breeds there are mandatory health tests too. But you don’t need to be a registered breeder, as the pups are under the girl’s owner’s prefix.

To get her own prefix she needs to meet the length of membership, have a mains reg girl, pass an exam and I think have a premises inspection. 

Edited to try to be clearer

Edited by Diva
  • Like 1

@yvonnelouiseyour friend needs to follow the very clear steps outlined on the Dogs NSW prefix application form as found here:

https://dogsnsw.org.au/media/3527/form-9-prefix-app-v6.pdf

Until your friend has a bitch on main register in her name she cannot apply or even commence the prefix programme.  Admittedly the course material is all currently available online so your friend can read and study to prepare for the exam, but until she has a bitch in her name, she cannot go any further.

If she can find a breeding willing to transfer a bitch into your friend's name for the sake of sitting the prefix exam then have your friend transfer the bitch back this might be the only loophole.

I didn't think you required a breeder prefix for male-only ownership, just so long as the male is main registered -- you stud out a dog but breed a bitch.

• Like 1

Her breeder should be able to assist with all this info as they have offered a mains registered pup to her .
There a very few hoops to jump through BUT enough hoops to make people more accountable for wanting to become a breeder & learning to read the rules & regs instead off mating 2 dogs & bingo puppies .
Its not hard if your truly keen & interested

• Like 2

On 29/12/2020 at 12:09 PM, sandgrubber said:

Absurd.  Too many hoops to jump through.  Restricting entry is the last thing clubs should be doing when membership is in decline and unregistered pups are costing thousands. 

the half wits did it to placate the AR nutters without understanding their agenda is the extinction of domestic animals.

soooo over the last five  to ten years they have eliminated 90% of potential ANKC members and sent the membership numbers and the gene pool of the breeds into endangered figures.

as a friend said, these days stupidity seems the first requirement of an ankc member

She is incredibly fortunate to have one on mains register.

so few breeders will main register a pup now. Because being a dead end kennel is viewed as the epitome of responsibly ethical.   no disgusting puppy farmer will get their hands on my bloodline and neither can anyone else?

so sad how horrible people are to each other these days.  Seems the human condition is geared to join witch hunts without realising they too fit the parameters for a disgusting backyarder (we all have a backyard pet!)  or even worse a puppy farmer (yet to pass that POCTA inspection you have just been signed off as complying to what? the parameters for a puppy farm?)

worlds gone mad

Edited by asal

11 hours ago, asal said:

Yes they finally caught on they had necked themselves making people wait 12 moths to "prove" they are ethical

I wasn't aware of that 'rule' @asal

Who in their right mind would think such an incredibly stupid idea?

ps is '12 moths' the same as 1 year?

lol

4 hours ago, Boronia said:

I wasn't aware of that 'rule' @asal

Who in their right mind would think such an incredibly stupid idea?

ps is '12 moths' the same as 1 year?

lol

On or before ( I forget the exact date) 2010 Dogs nsw brought in the rule that before you could apply for a prefix.  You must be a Dogs NSW member for 12 months first. Then and only then can you sit the exam which once passed you may then, and only then apply for your breeders prefix.

Not sure when they make it that you still could not until you owned a registered bitch in your name.

so lets go to the experience of my friend Lorraine.

she had purchased a male and female . loved them so much decided she wanted to breed and bought a second girl.

Is told the new rules in 2010. the assistant at the desk asked her did she want to breed and thus join as a full member or just show her dogs.

I was not present when she went to the office to apply for membership , although I dont have a legal degree, I hope I would have twigged it was a loaded question.   Lorraine didnt.

when she told the assistant she was going to show them the assistant signed her up as an associate member.   Her pups were at this stage 6 months old and the younger one 3 months.

We had great fun showing hers and mine over that year and when she renewed her membership asked to sit the breeders exam.

To her dismay she was told she could not because she "is only an associate member"?

She tried to ask well why didnt the assistant tell me this last year when I applied?

she asked could she pay the extra so her membership for the previous year was full instead of associate?

But nope she had to become a full member and wait another year.

Her two eldest would by then be 2 1/2 years old the youngest 2 1/4 years old.

well dogs will be dogs and over the preceding extra year, Lightning managed to outsmart her and a litter was on the way so she was pretty panicked.  She so wanted to register her puppies.  But the thought police had put in place this inflexible rules to eliminate newbies from becoming a registered breeder "for their own good".

Frankly I knew what a total mess this was going to do to Dogs NSW.  

They did it to appease the AR nutters to prove they were only letting the most ethical, responsible people become a registered breeder .  To eliminate the people who in enthusiasm of getting their first purebred, becoming a member, registering and prefix and breeding a litter in the first year of becoming a member.

What the board should have already known, (a survey some years prior and told them LOUD AND CLEAR. the bulk of their income was from newbies who did not remain long term members after the initial enthusiasm wore off.

breeding can be devastating when things go wrong. 

The survey proved that the major income was from short term newbies. Yet they chose to eliminate them by instigating these rules.

Well lets get back to Lorraine.

she has a litter on the way that cannot be registered?

What can she do?

Become an unregistered backyarder?    

So I offered to register the pups for her under my prefix.

so they were not lost to the breed.

fast forward the next year, she has now moved inland and when she is now eligible to sit the exam is informed. sorry you cant sit it via the net, you have to come to head office?

So as she could not get there due to nursing a family member she could not.

I am pretty sure this scenario of disaster is not restricted to just my friend.

all you need to do is go look at the litter registration's continual fall from then to now along with the corresponding membership free fall.

The board in their zeal to prove to the ar nutters how "ethical and responsible " they are, sowed the seeds to the ankc's destruction

In a nation of over 28 million people that according to their own statistics compiled in 2016 still not heed their own research?

"Lets do the Math ! Estimated Australian Dog Population 4.8 million A conservative estimate is that due to mortality 10% need to be replaced annually which indicates a demand for 480,000 puppies per year In 2016 ANKC Ltd Breeders registered 71,361 puppies, so to achieve the estimated number required, approximately 408,639 were bred by people outside the ANKC who have no accountability for health or welfare. ANKC Ltd Registered Breeders 71,361 Puppies* Unregistered Breeders 408,639 Puppies * Source- ANKC Ltd Database"

To read it all and shake your head that they still continued to strangle any chance of ankc puppies filling the ever widening void their AR nutter induced rules were causing.   

Here is the entire document.

http://ankc.org.au/media/6598/a-forensic-view-of-puppy-breeding-in-australiav4.pdf

The freefall as a result has many breeds numbers so low they are eligible for endangered status.

We long term members and there are precious few of them.  Many of my friends have voiced my own thoughts,  "is the most important requirement of becoming and ankc member today stupidity?     Will the board wake up before its too late?

P.S. 

What happened to my friend?  Still stuck outback so still never allowed to apply for a prefix.  foolish me began registering her puppies for her. BUT those litters combined with my own brought me to the attention of the thought police who firmly believe anyone who breeds more than 2 or at most three litters a year is a puppy farmer which needs to be eliminated from the membership. 

so end up being inspected by both dogs nsw and the rspca.

Incredibly stressful the looks I was given when arrived.  It was nice after the dogsnsw rep thawed and complimented me on the quality of my dogs. 

But the stress is appalling.

As for the rspca yes I passed their POCTA with all ticks.  but after reading the entire pages of ticks.  Realised I was now offically in the eyes of the government and the rspca had just been signed off as a compliant puppy farmer.  Which folks is exactly what the ankc thought police intend eliminating from the pristine ethical, responsible ranks?

so im dead in the water where they are concerned.

As is every member inspected and passed.

so where do we stand?

The ankc thought police along with the ankc wish to eliminate all puppy farms from their ranks. yet if you dont pass the pocta requirements the rspca will take your dogs?

this is a case of caught between the devil and the deep blue sea is it not?

My vet told me in 2017 he gives the ankc 10 years max before its insolvent due to imploding income from registered litters.

Edited by asal

last but not least. Lets address the hyprocity of the thought police.

according to the ankc's very own code of ethics.

"10. A Member shall not breed a bitch that results in it whelping more than six times without prior veterinary certification of fitness for further breeding and without prior approval of the Board of Directors except under extenuating circumstances where application for registration of the litter may be considered by the Board of Directors."

What does this mean?

That a bitch may have 6 litters.

But according to the self appointed thought police of which there are many  here on this forum.  anyone who breeds more than one or two litters. three is going to get them suspicious your now passed the pale into the puppy farmer ranks.

Who are these thought police?

Members who keep themselves busy checking litter registrations and get busy dialing the rspca and the ankc liason officer when they decide a member has passed their parameters despite the fact the target is fully within the actual ankc "code of practice".

How to I know they are fellow members? Well the fellow breed club member who dialed the rspca that had my Stringy stolen was heard boasting at a show she had done it and would keep dialing until something was found to have me charged and thus my membership cancelled. Others at shows have been heard boasting they have done the same thing.  the thought police are not silent over their perceived "successes"

The intention is the stress will encourage the target to cancel their membership.

The thought police will then be celebrating the elimination of yet another backyard/ puppy farmer from their pristine ranks.

What I find amusing.

Is many of them are being just as scrutinised by other self appointed thought police for elimination too.

The AR nutters are laughing their heads off at at stupidity of their targets , they are the ones who began the "we must get rid of back yard breeders" " must get rid of puppy farmers" in the 1980's.

When I heard my friends saying it to each other even then, I looked at them in dismay,  I asked dont you realise every one of you have what outside your back door?   You are all eligible to be targeted for elimination?

then as now, too many are totally blind to that?  

Well what I saw comming has come to pass.

What do I see as what is going to happen?

Dogs NSW I think has already seen it coming.  They changed their public name from RNSWKC to DogsNSW to be seen as more relevant to ALL dog owners both registered and unregistered.   

I expect they will move to embrace all dog owners and encourage membership of unregistered dogs owners for social events

as for the studbook it will be a small side part as it shrinks

perhaps they will allow grading up for the unregistered purebreds as they did for the Australian Stumpy tailed cattledog?

who knows. but if they dont many breeds are going to disappear.

Edited by asal

On 29/12/2020 at 12:02 PM, JRG said:

Troy  -    I think this question is in the wrong section,  please can it be moved so that more people see it and answer?

The wording is strange, but I think what it means is that before she can apply for a prefix she needs to join the NSW kennel  association and have been a member for at least six months.  (During that time she will be able to transfer the registrations of any pedigree dogs she owns into her name.) Once the six months is up she can apply for a prefix and, once that prefix is granted, can proceed to breed using a dog and a bitch already on the mains register or that’s hn she subsequently purchases and registers.  The bitch must be in her name on the register before it whelps for her to be able to register the pups in her prefix.

Maybe someone else can clarify further, but that is my reading of the regulations.

Could be wrong but I think?

The bitch has to be in her name before its mated?

In Victoria the pups have to be registered under the prefix of the person who is the registered owner at the date of birth.  Which means that the bitch has to be registered in your name before it whelps if you want to use your own prefix. 

At least that is as I read it!