Dog won’t budge

Gigi

Have recently adopted rescue dog 3 weeks ago. She has 2 walks a day and is always eager to go. However on our return when nearing home, she stops and refuses to go on. Treats don’t work. She’ll sit or lie down. She ends up usually having to be pulled along although with a wagging tail! 
Any advice would be much appreciated. 

• Like 1

I have had this problem with my young border collie.  What I do now which works nearly every time, is change direction then he will get up & follow me.  I then walk around in a circle & continue on.  If I am near a fence or something convenient & safe, but only in my own yard, I will tie him up & walk off until I see him get back on his feet.  I have the same problem with trying to get him to leave the vets, as he loves it there so much

• Like 2

This reminded me of a friend's Golden Retriever, who, no mater how far we had walked, with 5 dogs in the pack, would refuse to do a 190 turn to go back along the same route.   So we would have to find a big tree or something that we could do a loop around... that satisfied him, and he would  then happily head back along the track.   

this same dog hwad to be in the front of the pack if we were walking off leash.. he would leapfrog over dogs in front if he got left behind by stopping and sniffing at something, and then happily settle down in front.   On the way back home, hhe didn't care if others were in front.

So they do sometimes develop odd little habits ... @sheena has suggested some good strategies to get round might be a "don't wanna don't hafta thing about heading back home.... pup may just want the walk to go longer.

• Like 1

well at least its not a horse doing it.

Had a stallion I am sure thought he was a dog played the same games.

gets a bit trying when its 400 kg your trying to get to move in the direction you want

:thumbsup:

• Haha 2

• 6 months later...
On 08/01/2021 at 5:31 PM, Gigi said:

No, she is an 8 year old beagle x.

I had a Cav who started to do this at about 5 years of age. I would carry her the rest of the way home. Although, if I let her off-lead, she would walk- albeit slowly the rest of the way.