Has anyone used Propalin? Mezza Update

• Loving my Oldies changed the title to Has anyone used Propalin? Mezza Update

These words are so hard.  Mezza passed away yesterday.  I’m too gutted to say much, but he had been treated for airways disease for a couple of years with a puffer and  medications daily and Cerenia injections from time to time.  He collapsed in the very early hours of Monday morning and despite being rushed to SASH and then to my vet, he was in much too bad a way.  Just so broken hearted now.  Four of my darlings gone within 12 months.  Sooty knows something is wrong so my focus must now be on her to ensure her life is as good as it can be.  

• Sad 9

I'm so sorry to read this.  As we know, all your dogs have received first class care and love over the years and Mezza was certainly no exception.  To lose one is heartbreaking enough, but your four in twelve months is so hard to take in.  Please know I am thinking of you, @Loving my Oldies.   They break our hearts but they also fill them with love and good memories.

• Thanks 1

Really sorry to hear your sad news. Your little oldies always sound like they get the very best of care from you and it’s hard to lose one but four in twelve months is devastating. I really do feel for you. Take care. My thoughts are with you and Sooty also. :kissbetter:

• Thanks 1

Oh Cyn... my heart breaks for you...

You have been the most awesome mummy to all your little oldies... they all knew they were adored above all else in life, and spent their best years with you. Please remember them all with smiles for all the treasured little moments they have given you over the years... no tears... just joy in your heart knowing that you loved and were loved back a thousandfold...

T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, persephone said:

Poor Sooty will be lost . Your heart must be in many pieces.

Yes, my heart is in pieces.  I knew he wasn’t quite right and was going to take him again to my vets after the long weekend.  Although his little body was giving up he still had some playful moments in the past week. So it wasn’t the Propalin or the ulcer, he was fading away.  At my vet on Monday, he was being given oxygen although his tests showed that his blood was properly oxygenated.  So he would be half sitting up watching what was going on and the he’d collapse.  The last collapse was really bad and he was intubated.  There was no way I was going to put a tiny, 17 years old dog through the interventions that were presented to me and neither would the vet.  My darling little man - just floods of tears.

And yes, Sooty will be confused and lost.  I am talking to her a lot and she actually followed me into the study a little while ago, although she didn’t stay.  It’s horrible to know that she can’t see to put things into perspective.  

Edited by Loving my Oldies
  • Sad 5

I am so sorry LMO, my heart goes out to you. I know how much you loved the little one and though he was old and it was his time it doesn't make it any easier.

What a lucky little chap to have you in his life, you are the best ma to all your oldies

:hug:

• Thanks 1

I am so sorry you have lost another of your beautiful oldies LMO (just saw the news so apologies for lateness). You have dedicated yourself to your doggos in every way so I know the hole in your life that losing even one must leave.  What an impossibly hard 12 months to lose 4 you have shared your life with. Take care of yourself and do what you need to do to get through this. :heart:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Little Gifts said:

Take care of yourself and do what you need to do to get through this. :heart:

Thanks LG.  As you can imagine, I am pretty miserable and feeling so bereft.  Mezza was my shadow, unless he was channelling Rip Van Winkel, whenever I moved so did he.  He was such a lovely little dog with not ounce of “bad” in him.  Whenever the little boys from across the road came to visit, they always ran into the house to find Mezza.  

I’m also feeling inadequate for Sooty and I wonder how I can make her life happy.  She too has experienced a huge amount of loss and change over the past couple of years she has lived with me.  Not easy for an elderly blind dog to manage these sorts of disruptions although she has shown herself to be remarkably resilient.  I haven’t taken her out since Mezza died (apart from downstairs to toilet), so I will do so today and see how she copes.   

The photo below was a couple of weeks ago.  This sort of sibling attachment rarely happened and was always instigated by Mezza.  Sooty was more likely to growl and jump on top of Mezza to chase him away.  They’d been at the groomers and were exhausted, hence the harnesses still on.  

9C3B3DB2-6999-47A8-985E-878BCA8097E0_1_201_a

• Like 7

Sooty may adjust just fine to having you all to herself... give it a bit of time and see how she processes the change in routine... you both need a bit of time to process it methinks...

Huge hugs for you and sweet Sooty...

T.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just miss my little boy so much.  One of the little things he would do .....   Despite having bedding galore, he would lie on the floor up against the wall and I would be at sitting at the table doing whatever and every so often he would get up and walk around to check on me.  We would have a little chat and he would go back to snoozing.

I think Sooty is missing just having another little dog there as well, but she is getting lots and lots of attention.   

IMG_0675

• Sad 4