Has anyone used Propalin? Mezza Update

Caveat:  Mezza has been seen by the vet, bloods and urine samples taken and I am waiting for results which should be available later today.

Mezza is a 17 years old Pomeranian whom I adopted 3 years ago from Campbelltown Pound.  (Our very own @shmoohelped me with that via Gina Fallon’s Golden Oldies as he was being released only to rescue because of the condition he was in.)

Sometime ago, Mezza became incontinent at night and whenever he slept or was just lying around.  I was constantly washing bedding, wiping him down and wiping wherever he’d been lying.  He became very stained (dark brown like overstewed tea) and if I didn’t wipe him for a day or two, the smell was revolting.  I can’t describe it, but not a urine smell.  

The vet prescribed Propalin saying that incontinence treatments for males dogs aren’t always very successful. It was a bit hit and miss at first and I would celebrate a “dry night”.  However it seems to be working really well now and dry nights are the norm and wherever he might have been lying is rarely wet either.  So, all good there.

However, he has become quite picky with his food, eating smaller and smaller meals.  Twice this week, he has done two huge throw-ups containing a lot of undigested  food which was very worrying as he hasn’t eaten the amount of food that seemed to be in the mixture.  

He ate a small chicken meal last night, but when I tried him with a little more later in the evening, he didn’t touch it.  Ditto with some of his favourite foods.  He hasn’t eaten today and is sleeping a lot.  

What I am getting to in this long winded way is asking for any experiences with Propalin.  There seems to be quite a list of side effects for this drug which are worrying considering Mezza’s age. Vets don’t think this is causing his current problems.  

My saga was interrupted by the vet ringing with tests results.  Everything is good, white blood cells are a bit elevated and the lab is culturing the urine to see if any bacteria are present as initial tests don’t show anything untoward.  However, she wanted to give him a couple of long lasting injections: Cerenia and ABs.  If no changes by Monday, we will have an ultrasound taken.  Just back from there and think I will open a bottle of wine.   :xmascheer:   :xmascheer:

Edited by Loving my Oldies
  • Like 1

Henry (and before Henry it was Mac) is on Propalin and doing well on it, my vet said to give it to Wee Maxi also, when the old boy got up from resting or just standing, the pee would drip out of him like a leaky tap. I decided to try putting him on Incontinence Mix first  here  then Incontinence Support as  maintenance,  it works really well (I can't find the Incontinence Support on the McDowell website so you may need to email them to ask when you have finished the first bottle). Wee maxi gets 10 drops on his food morning and night and I'm pretty happy with it.

It'd definitely be wort contacting them to get further info

B

• Thanks 1

Just wondering... wouldn't a bellyband help, too?

How wonderful that you have adopted a senior! :)

Hope, Mezza is better and enjoying life soon. 

My knowledge of propalin extends to it sometimes causing anxiety. GI upset and appetite loss can be a symptom of that but your post doesn’t scream it, like it would if you had said he’s suddenly snapping at other dogs or easily startled. I do know there are other options when there are untoward side effects though!

I hope you can get to the bottom of it and that Mezza is his bright happy self soon. It’s reminding me of Malcom during an IBD/lymphangiectasia flare. :( 

Mal’s currently very picky, in the mornings especially. We recently got one of his meds compounded into a fish flavoured suspension and if he could sing the pharmacist’s praises he probably would. :laugh:

• Thanks 1

Thanks @PepperP.  Yes, belly bands have been in fashion at this doggy retirement home for many years.  Bitches Britches too :love:   :love:.  I’ve lost track of the number of seniors I have adopted over the years  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:  hence my forum name.  

@Papillon Kisses, I am worried about the Propalin although from what I have read about effects, appetite loss is the only evident one apart from the two huge throw ups which now are two in 7 days: ie last Sunday and Thursday.  

Mezza isn’t picky, he is not eating at all even what are generally his favourite foods!!  Poor darling Malcolm; he has been through a lot, as have you trying to help him.  I’m off to look up lymphangiecstasia to see what that is.  

He doesn’t seem anxious.  On the contrary, generally he is a very laid back little dog, but he has started barking a lot more than usual.  Loves standing at the front door and barking.  Luckily, we are quite set back from the street.  I have had a few dogs over the years who seem to get a great deal of enjoyment from telling the neighbours that they are here. :laugh:  :laugh:

Mezza has refused Tuna this morning (one of his favourites) but is currently sniffing at some puppy roll :eek: :eek: from Woolworths which is something I use in tiny amounts to give Sooty her tablets and to help Mezza get rid of the taste of the Propalin.  I call it doggy McDonald’s and It isn’t something that can be fed as a normal meal.    Nope, just checked and he hasn’t eaten any of the puppy roll either.  

He was also sodden this morning which hasn’t happened for a while, but he is sleeping so deeply.  All the bedding gone into the wash and he has had a sponge down with a bath on the agenda for later today.  

Looks like ultrasounds tomorrow.  

My first dog was on Propalin a long time ago, and from memory there were no side effects and it was definitely of benefit.  The doseage goes on weight so that's something to watch out for if Mezza is not eating well and has lost weight - may need adjustment?

• Thanks 1

I am in shock, but I think I might have found what is wrong with Mezza.  When I was putting on his harness on Friday to take him to the vet, I felt a lump on his leg.  When I checked it, was horrified to see that it was a great lump of poo which had become all rolled up in his fur.  It felt dry, so I started to cut it out, but had to stop to get to the vet on time.  Awful as it sounds, I forgot about it until I started to bath Mezza this evening and got to work while he was in the bath to cut it out.  He is so tiny and with so much fur that I really needed a couple of more hands, but eventually I managed to get most of it out and this is what I found:

41A3AF09-92F4-4DB3-AE44-A7B7B0E3C9C2

Needless to say, I was so upset for him and at myself for not even knowing it was there.  He had a long lasting AB injection yesterday, so if it weren’t for that, I would be taking him to emergency, but I think he will be okay until I take him to my vet tomorrow.   He has actually had a couple of very very tiny meals today, so I think the ABs are kicking in.   

It looks inflamed and infected, so do you think this would have been making him sick enough not to want to eat?

Because I am so upset I’m not making sense
  • Like 3

I thought about Betadine, @tdierikx, but didn’t want to in case it was ulcerated.  I will be calling the vet immediately the switch the phone on at 8am. 

I have repairers everywhere today fixing roof and internal damage caused in a storm in October so I will just have to leave them to it when I get an appt.  OMG!!  The roofer has finished already.  Took nearly three months to get around to replacing a batten and three tiles which took less than 1/2 hour.  The kitchen plasters and painters will obviously take longer.  

Have now called vet and have an appt for 9.40 am.

• Like 5

Thank you everyone.  Well, it was an ulcer, but vet says as far as they go, it is not too bad.  Apparently some can be caused through pressure and he has seen some down to the bone - horrific thought.  Vet is still mystified as to why Mezza would have done those big throw-ups.   And, yes @tdierikx, he did say that a weak solution of Betadine would have been fine :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:.    He also suggested trying Mezz on Advanced which is a highly flavoured canned food.  He isn’t going to dress the ulcer as he thinks it is better to just dry out and, of course, the AB injection is helping.  At least, that is what I think he said:  we are in full masks these days :rofl:   :rofl: .

I actually left them both there so I could relax with the plasterers coming and going.  They have finished now and tomorrow will be the sanding and painting.  Two really nice men, but with my chronic hearing loss and their accents combined, I was never 100% sure what they were saying :eek: :eek: :laugh:  :laugh:.  

Now having a very belated breakfast with the air con blasting away.  What with masks and accents, I am exhausted from straining to hear what people are saying.   

Edited because it is Recovery not Advanced - god knows where that came from.:banghead:    :banghead:

Because I am loosing it. . . .
  • Like 5

Royal Canin Recovery tinned food is also very tasty... and smells pretty good to dogs...

Glad to know that Mezza'a wound isn't too bad... poor wee boy. Please give him a few extra cuddles and kisses from me when he gets back home.

T.

1 hour ago, tdierikx said:

Royal Canin Recovery tinned food is also very tasty... and smells pretty good to dogs...

Glad to know that Mezza'a wound isn't too bad... poor wee boy. Please give him a few extra cuddles and kisses from me when he gets back home.

T.

That’s what I meant.  Head is not working properly.  God knows where Advanced came from and needless to say the ladies down at the vets when I picked up Mezza and Sooty were scratching their heads until one of them said, “Recovery is very good.”  :hitself:   :hitself:

And in the midst of all this, I forgot about Mezza’s ultrasound.  

I am feeling a bit like a Jack-in-the-Box, @persephone.   So we just have to see how Mezza goes over the next few days.  The strange thing is that he has not lost any weight.  

Anyway, next time something goes wrong, I’m just going to consult @tdierikxbecause all I have to do with Mezza’s ulcer is to apply weak Betadine.  :laugh:  :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, Loving my Oldies said:

Anyway, next time something goes wrong, I’m just going to consult @tdierikxbecause all I have to do with Mezza’s ulcer is to apply weak Betadine.  :laugh:  

Haha! Maybe I did learn a few things in vet nurse school...  lol!

That said, consulting a vet in any case where one is concerned about the health of our furry mates is best practice...

T.

• Like 2

I'm going to be the old pupper out here - my old Mac was on Propalin for a while - but man did he become aggressive.  And the moment I took him off it the aggression disappeared.  I then switched to belly bands with pads and Mac was a happier old man until the day he crossed the bridge. 

So personally I'd use Propalin carefully and watch them like a hawk - and yes I do think pads and belly bands are much better options. 

• Thanks 1

• Loving my Oldies changed the title to Has anyone used Propalin? Mezza Update