Stall between puppy delivery

Elizabeths

I am not a breeder however I have  experienced a lot of bitches delivering puppies because I did work at the humane society and have done rescue for many years .This is certainly a first. The Bitch had a puppy premature and very obviously premature no hair translucent skin .The ears barely formed . The puppy  was alive for maybe 3 minutes and sadly did not survive which I did not expect .It was Saturday and I  watched for her to have more puppies and she had no more. The Bitch was calm she ate she drank she was active peeing normall but she very obviously had more puppies inside her tummy .Sunday came around and I was just kind of thinking how the heck could this happen .I know that bitches typically will deliver puppies within a couple hours .I took her to the emergency vet on Sunday and the vet said the puppies show no sign of stress and either does Mom. The vet even questioned whether I was sure she had delivered  a puppy at all .I of course was very sure ..The  vet began to explain to me what it would look like if she was going into labor describing to me what the nesting event looked like and to make her a whelping box watch for her to push and so forth.I of course was very aware of what it looks like for a bitch to go in labor and I also knew what a puppy looks like The vet  said that the only thing we could possibly do is take an x-ray to see how many puppies were left .I declined it was very pricey and I would go back to the vet in the case where I felt it looked like she was in distress .I knew the puppy born was so premature that if any were born within a week that they would not survive well miraculous ly  10 days later and her stomach obviously growing much longer she delivered 2 healthy puppies.  I searched all over the internet and have spoke with other people who have said the longest they have ever witnessed or heard of between pups is 48 hours .I'm just wondering is this something any one at all has experienced? I have searched high and low and no where have I found this being possible ...Has any body else had this happen ? 

• Thanks 1

It was a while ago, so I'm not sure of the details .. but a breeder who used to be on here posted about a bitch of hers who delivered a live puppy onto a concrete floor in midwinter. and left it.   The breeder fortunately found the puppy almost immediately and was able to warm it and it seemed quite healthy.   Fortunately, the dam's daughter had just whelped a litter a short time - maybe a couple of days?) before, so the little one was put in with her and accepted very well.  The older bitch was fine .. was put in her whelping box all ready ... and ... nothing for a couple (or a few) days.  Although she  appeared fine and pups inside were apparently fine, breeder took the bitch for an ultrasound .. yep .. all good.   So back to the whelping box ...and the bitch decided that that might be a good time to deliver the rest of the puppies in the litter (8 I think) .. all well and fighting fit..    The early one did fine, and was raised by the daughter with her litter until the pups were running round, and then the two litters ran together.  

i could well be misremembering some details .. some of the older forum members might remember the story .. but that was the gist of it..

On 10/01/2021 at 1:04 PM, Elizabeths said:

I am not a breeder however I have  experienced a lot of bitches delivering puppies because I did work at the humane society and have done rescue for many years .This is certainly a first. The Bitch had a puppy premature and very obviously premature no hair translucent skin .The ears barely formed . The puppy  was alive for maybe 3 minutes and sadly did not survive which I did not expect .It was Saturday and I  watched for her to have more puppies and she had no more. The Bitch was calm she ate she drank she was active peeing normall but she very obviously had more puppies inside her tummy .Sunday came around and I was just kind of thinking how the heck could this happen .I know that bitches typically will deliver puppies within a couple hours .I took her to the emergency vet on Sunday and the vet said the puppies show no sign of stress and either does Mom. The vet even questioned whether I was sure she had delivered  a puppy at all .I of course was very sure ..The  vet began to explain to me what it would look like if she was going into labor describing to me what the nesting event looked like and to make her a whelping box watch for her to push and so forth.I of course was very aware of what it looks like for a bitch to go in labor and I also knew what a puppy looks like The vet  said that the only thing we could possibly do is take an x-ray to see how many puppies were left .I declined it was very pricey and I would go back to the vet in the case where I felt it looked like she was in distress .I knew the puppy born was so premature that if any were born within a week that they would not survive well miraculous ly  10 days later and her stomach obviously growing much longer she delivered 2 healthy puppies.  I searched all over the internet and have spoke with other people who have said the longest they have ever witnessed or heard of between pups is 48 hours .I'm just wondering is this something any one at all has experienced? I have searched high and low and no where have I found this being possible ...Has any body else had this happen ? 

Did you put this female on antibiotics after the first puppy was born?