Dog mauled by ‘unrestrained’ animal in horror Bunnings incident

Dog mauled by ‘unrestrained’ animal in horror Bunnings incident

FEBRUARY 1, 20217:22pm

Bunnings Warehouse are “offering support” to the owner of a small dog fatally attacked by an allegedly unrestrained pit bull in a Brisbane store.

Eyewitnesses have told NCA NewsWire how they witnessed staff at the Stafford warehouse repeatedly ask the owner of the larger dog to restrain his animal in the store on Sunday before the attack occurred.

After the incident, the owner of the pit bull allegedly fled, however shoppers took down his number plate.

Peter Male witnessed the incident, and said he had become “so distressed” he had to walk away.

“I saw a big brown pit bull-looking dog holding onto a small fluffy brown dog by the neck. The small dog was not moving at all... it was just a limp body,” he said.

“The owner of the pit bull was punching his dog in the mouth telling it to let go continuously but this dog was not restrained at all. No muzzle, no lead on it.

“I didn’t see how they got them separated or what either dog looked like after but I did see a lot of blood they were washing away on my way out.”

The smaller dog was rushed to an emergency vet nearby, but it’s understood the animal did not pull through.

Pet Emergency Stafford told NCA NewsWire due to the “sensitivity of the issue” they could not provide any further comment.

Patrick Blair, Bunnings Area Manager, said the incident had been “unfortunate.”

“Our team acted quickly to remind the owner of our store guidelines before they entered the store,” he said.

“We have been in touch with the other owner to offer support and our thoughts are with them.

“We thank our team for the calm and professional way that they handled the situation.”

Shoppers described staff being “visibly shaken” following the incident.

Bunnings allow dogs into stores, as long as they are “friendly” and comply with the following measures:

• Secured safely in a vehicle or trolley,
  • On a lead and wearing a muzzle
  • Carried

A spokeswoman for Brisbane City Council said they had been made aware of the “terrible incident”.

“Council’s Rapid Response Group attended the store on Sunday and has subsequently launched an investigation. Initial investigations suggest an unrestrained dog has attacked and killed a dog that was sitting in a trolley,” she said.

“We are taking this incident very seriously and will work with the store throughout the investigation.

“Pet owners must show responsibility, and we expect all owners to ensure their animal is under effective control at all times when in public and at home.

“The State Government’s Animal Management Act outlines what action Council can take following an investigation into an incident.”

[email protected]

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home/pets/dog-mauled-by-unrestrained-animal-in-horror-bunnings-incident/news-story/585c886498abffaa758d8216dc19b73a

How absolutely horrific. That poor little dog and owner, not to mention everyone traumatised from witnessing the attack. 

?articleGMT=11&hide_ad=false&path=components.footer-mobile&t_domain=news.com.au&t_product=newscomau

petsrouter@2.0.0&td_display=mobile&t_trouter=true

• Sad 6

This makes me truly upset. Agree sandgrubber, the owner shouldn’t have been let in with the dog off lead. 
My heart honestly goes out to the poor owners of the little dog. 

• Sad 1

I don't even want to imagine that. They don't need to even have their stores dog friendly and someone needs to ruin it. I love seeing dogs in trolleys just quietly cruising around with their owners. At my 2 locals I've never even heard a dog bark. A dog fight would echo throughout an entire store. Makes me feel sick to think about.

• Sad 3
5 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Who let the dog in? 

Our local Bunnings (in NZ) won't allow ANY dog in without a muzzle and lead. Exceptions made for small dogs restrained in the cart. 

They're not allowed in without a leash and muzzle, unless they're in a trolley or being carried. The Bunnings stores near me usually only have teenagers on the door, so I'm assuming it's the same in most of their stores. I'm not sure how they're supposed to stop someone from entering though, if they decide to be a complete arsehole about it and ignore them or tell them to eff off etc and keep walking. They're not allowed to physically touch them as far as I know and you couldn't ask a kid to physically handle a grown man and a potentially intimidating breed of dog (I say potentially because I know a lot of people are scared of bull breeds.) I hope the piece of shit who owns the dog faces severe penalties but it seems unlikely, given how easily people get away with this kind of thing. He'll probably get a fine and have his dog destroyed but that's it. 

• Sad 4

Yeah I imagine the staff couldn’t stop him entering - short of physical restraint and risking harm themselves how can they stop someone who just ignores  them? My local Woolworths can’t stop the guy who wanders around the store occasionally with his off lead big dog, spiked collar, scars, filthy dirty and all. Unless they want to risk assault all the staff can do is call police. He’s long gone by then. 

Edited by Diva
  • Sad 5

Wouldn’t surprise me, and I wouldn’t blame them if Bunnings withdraw this privilege.  If idiots can’t play by the rules, this won’t be the last time something like this happens.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
10 minutes ago, Kirislin said:

Wouldn’t surprise me, and I wouldn’t blame them if Bunnings withdraw this privilege.  If idiots can’t play by the rules, this won’t be the last time something like this happens.

I agree with you. There is always some a—-hole who ruins good things for everyone else. But as you say if idiots can’t play by the rules then privileges must be stopped. 

• Sad 1

I feel so much for the owners of the little dog who was killed.  From the description given in the article, I doubt there was much of a dog fight @Little Gifts - the little dog was probably either dead or unconscious within second.  

So horrific.  I had a little dog killed by another dog and despite being just over 12 years ago, barely a day goes by that I don’t think of it.  I remember every detail: day, date, time, what I found when I came home.  Still haunts me as it probably will those poor people.  You never forget how your dogs died and if it was by violence, it is even worse.  I now have 18 little urns and I can tell you chapter and verse how each came about, from my first little dog Calypso on 15 January 1997 to Mezza just last week.  The sorrow and loss never really go away.  

That man will probably get less than a slap on the wrist and will walk out of court grinning and screaming obscenities.  

• Sad 6
22 minutes ago, Kazm said:

I agree with you. There is always some a—-hole who ruins good things for everyone else. But as you say if idiots can’t play by the rules then privileges must be stopped. 

No, we must fight for proper legal responses and retribution.  Many a----holes sit in robes and wigs behind big tables.  

That is horrific - my local Bunnings at Mt Barker is very strict about dogs and only has older well trained staff on the door. I guess all dogs will get banned now.  

Our dogs can walk in on lead. No muzzle needed, no need for them to be in a trolley.

I used to take Bolt all the time, but she would get so excited and pee on the floor that I stopped it 

Feel so sorry for everyone involved :(

7 hours ago, Snook said:

They're not allowed in without a leash and muzzle, unless they're in a trolley or being carried. The Bunnings stores near me usually only have teenagers on the door, so I'm assuming it's the same in most of their stores. 

Our local Bunnings typically has  middle age women who look like they know what they're doing standing at the entrance. They also check dockets to make sure you've paid, and tell you what isle to find things at. I'm sure they are value for money in terms of deterring shop lifting alone. I can't see a lax teen doing those jobs.  If you're prepared to catch shop lifters, you should be up to refusing entry to unrestrained dogs. 

1 hour ago, sandgrubber said:

Our local Bunnings typically has  middle age women who look like they know what they're doing standing at the entrance. They also check dockets to make sure you've paid, and tell you what isle to find things at. I'm sure they are value for money in terms of deterring shop lifting alone. I can't see a lax teen doing those jobs.  If you're prepared to catch shop lifters, you should be up to refusing entry to unrestrained dogs. 

I don't think the issue is necessarily lax teens but not many teens would be up to taking on a grown man with a loose "pit bull" type of dog, or many shoplifters for that matter. They shouldn't be put in that position in the first place. Of course, this is all just speculation anyway as we don't know who was on the door and unable to prevent entry. I assumed it must be a teenager based on my experiences at Bunnings stores but it sounds like there are also older employees doing that job in different stores. 

Total idiot who should have the book thrown at him - horrendous for the dog, the owners and everyone else who was there.

The challenge is that regardless of the age/size/gender/experience of the staff at the front of the store - there is very little they can do if some prick just walks in (with or without a dog) and ignores them.  I don't know about Bunnings, but most companies advise their staff not to physically touch/restrain members of the public.  Both to protect their staff from attack and to avoid complaints/legal action.

They can call the police, but I wonder what the response rate/time would be if the person was not being physically abusive (just thinking of police resources).

• Like 4

Our local Bunnings is particularly strict, but I was happy with that as it would keep the idiots out.

this moron will now ruin it for everyone. Surely they captured him on cctv? 
There almost needs to be a special pet licence that is similar to the Public Access test my service dog does, that allows you to take your dog out in public at all. Basic toileting control, basic obedience, ability to walk past people/dogs without losing its mind, etc. 

I often take a big detour to avoid being near out of control pets. It is so frustrating and frightening.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Teebs said:

Our dogs can walk in on lead. No muzzle needed, no need for them to be in a trolley.

I used to take Bolt all the time, but she would get so excited and pee on the floor that I stopped it 

Feel so sorry for everyone involved :(

If you are not willing to abide by the rules then you are part of the problem. Hopefully this incident will deter beople from taking their dogs to Bunnings unless they have a real need.

For all those anti-muzzle people, what are you going to do if there was a rabies outbreak and the government mandated muzzles in public like face masks during a covid outbreak, wthe the result that muzzles become as scarce as toilet paper?

On 02/02/2021 at 7:54 AM, Kazm said:

This makes me truly upset. Agree sandgrubber, the owner shouldn’t have been let in with the dog off lead. 
My heart honestly goes out to the poor owners of the little dog. 

need an icon for crying.

happens way too often.  the poor dog the poor owners  so sad