Dog mauled by ‘unrestrained’ animal in horror Bunnings incident

On 02/02/2021 at 10:36 AM, Loving my Oldies said:

No, we must fight for proper legal responses and retribution.  Many a----holes sit in robes and wigs behind big tables.  

I’m totally against rules and privileges being changed just because of some idiots doing the wrong thing. We’ve seen this many times especially  in areas we love to camp. Areas where once you could take dogs but now can’t. And it is wrong.  But as much as I love my pets I don’t really see the need to take them “ shopping” to Bunnings or anywhere else for that matter. Aside of the fact that incidents like this do happen, I can also see the side that there are many people who are frightened of animals,restrained or not. Not long after Molly’s attack we were in Petbarn, where you are allowed to take pets as well. There was a guy who had his dog with him. A big Rottweiler who was unrestrained also and it was just walking up to whoever it liked and he was laughing all the time. Well, I didn’t see the funny side of it as I’m now nervous around bigger dogs. Molly was not with us either, but I felt terribly uncomfortable and made sure I kept well away. Personally it wouldn’t bother me if all retail stopped pets being allowed.

• Like 5

Some of you know that I can no longer leave Justice at home alone because he's developed severe separation anxiety and barks, cries and howls non stop. I still don't take him in to Bunnings though because he wouldn't cope if there was a loud bang from anything being moved (and being a hardware store, that's not uncommon.) I'd be willing to muzzle train him if it was a situation he'd cope with. If I need something from Bunnings I either go at a time of day when it's cool enough to leave him in the car (he's okay for 5 to 10 minutes in the car alone) and I've already looked up which aisle and item I need and will be straight in and out, or I use their click and collect service at a store where they bring it to your car (one blessing from the pandemic.) I actually quite like that people can take their dogs in with them and if Justice would cope with it, that would be preferable to leaving him in the car. 

Being able to take him in to Petstock has been a life saver a few times, when I've miscalculated when he needs more food and timing that with weather where I can leave him in the car to pop in. I still make sure it's a week day and a time when it's not busy, to avoid seeing other dogs though. My biggest gripe with dogs having access to shops is with those owners who don't restrain their dogs, allow their dogs to crowd or corner other dogs even on leash, or who don't take in to account their dog's level of training or ability to cope with the environment. If owners in general were more savvy when it comes to cues from their dogs, and more responsible with managing them, there wouldn't be any issues. I wouldn't want to see more public venues or transport opened up to dogs until dog ownership is taken a lot more seriously in this country though. 

• Like 2

I do agree with you snook and I do understand in certain situations it is best to take them in. I can see both sides to this but in order for it to work all dog owners need to be compliant with the rules and there stands the problem. How to enforce rules. 

• Like 2

From what I see in Australia, and what I have seen overseas - unfortunately this is one area I believe Australia falls down on.

We either have to have well trained dogs (and owners) who can go to places, or dogs excluded from places.   At the moment we seem to have 'rude' dogs and ignorant owners at lots of places

There are so many dogs in Australia that are simply not good citizens - and almost always it is because of stupid humans.  Be that owners who think they can do anything they like or  people who think dogs are 'cute furbabies who would only want to play' or inconsiderate twits who don't appreciate that dogs scare some people or those that don't accept that sometimes a hard decision just has to be made or the other things that drive me nuts.

I am not saying USA is perfect (it ain't :laugh:) but what I noticed over there was that most dogs had manners.   You would see dozens of people walking and jogging with dogs, and the dogs would be walking/trotting nicely.   Large dogs were often on (loose) prong collars.  I know prong collars are very polarising and can be badly misused with horrendous results.  But, as Kazm said above - if we keep stopping the whole do things because some do it wrong, then we will not be allowed to go to a shop because some people steal.   Isn't it better to manage the issue rather than impact everyone.  I never saw a dog on a flat collar or in a harness dragging their owner around.

I have two dogs who are inside more than outside, go to the beach etc and (in my opinion) have a pretty good life.  BUT, I really don't understand why people think 'oh, I am going to a hardware store or a cafe - I need to take Fido'.  Yes, there are edge cases (thinking of you Snook :-)) where it is appropriate, but in the majority of cases it just don't get it.  Maybe I am boring, but I go to Bunnings to buy things they sell - it is a shop, it is not a park or a family social outing.

I put dogs in the same category as children sometimes (guaranteed I am going to be misunderstood here).   I love dogs, and I love children - but if they are not mine, I should be able to go about my day without being forced to deal with yours (especially when they are rude).  Time and place people please - and me bending down to look for something on the bottom shelf at Bunnings is neither the time nor the place that I want to deal with a dog.  Neither do I want to have to navigate aisles which are congested with trollies - some of which are just there because there is a dog in it.   Gee - I am a grumpy old biddie :rofl:

• Like 6

If you’re a grumpy old biddie BDJ then so am I.

Your comments were well put. Agree whole heartedly with all that you said. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, BDJ said:

I put dogs in the same category as children sometimes (guaranteed I am going to be misunderstood here).   I love dogs, and I love children - but if they are not mine, I should be able to go about my day without being forced to deal with yours (especially when they are rude).  

I agree with everything you said (including all the stuff I didn't quote) except the loving children part.  I think of them like dogs too.. so many could do with some behaviour modification training and boundaries. :laugh:  After Justice passes, I'm likely to be that crazy middle aged woman sitting on the beach or in the dog park though, hoping someone's dog comes up to say hello. :rofl:

All of that being said, I absolutely do not want to have to deal with someone else's dogs or children when I have Justice with me (although a very sweet family saw us on a walk last week and very politely asked if it would be okay to say hello, and that I don't mind), and I don't want an uncontrolled dog jumping all over me when I'm on my own either. 

Edited by Snook
  • Like 3

When I only had one dog, I took her to Bunnings twice and I found that I would rather leave her at home.  Firstly she took up too much room in the trolley so where was I to put my small purchases and secondly, it was a bit distracting making sure she was OK all the time.  However if I was on a road trip, and needed something from Bunnings, I would be very grateful that I could take the two of them with me into the shop.  

• Like 1
On 03/02/2021 at 1:22 AM, Tempus Fugit said:

If you are not willing to abide by the rules then you are part of the problem. Hopefully this incident will deter beople from taking their dogs to Bunnings unless they have a real need.

For all those anti-muzzle people, what are you going to do if there was a rabies outbreak and the government mandated muzzles in public like face masks during a covid outbreak, wthe the result that muzzles become as scarce as toilet paper?

I'm not part of any problem thanks. I actually didn't know bunnings had any muzzle or dog in trolley rules till last year when I read it elsewhere. Absolutely everyone here takes their dogs on lead as I did. Never once had staff told us that they needed to be muzzled. 

I would have had no issues with doing that, but our Bunnings here has never enforced or asked of it. 

I took Jaxon (BC) to Bunnings a few times when he was little as part of his life experiences but each time he sat nicely in the trolley & I had heaps of nice treats on me, which I handed to some staff members to give him, & it was good for him.  I did the same with the vets.  Now when I have to go to Bunnings & I have my dogs with me, I drive into the trade section which is undercover & crack the windows & check with the staff that it is OK to leave them there for a few minutes while I grab what I want.  I have never had a knock-back.  We also take our dogs several times a year to a pet friendly caravan park, & so far, touch wood, they have benefited greatly to this exposure to people, kids, other dogs, noise, buses, cars, pushbikes, scooters, skate boards etc. Such a shame that such an A-hole can ruin it for everyone.  It is only a matter of time before the same thing happens in the caravan park we take our dogs to & management pull the plug on the whole pet-friendly thing

14 hours ago, jemappelle said:

However if I was on a road trip, and needed something from Bunnings, I would be very grateful that I could take the two of them with me into the shop.  

That & people on farms who need to take their dogs into town to a vet or groomer as well as buy hardware.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Teebs said:

I'm not part of any problem thanks. I actually didn't know bunnings had any muzzle or dog in trolley rules till last year when I read it elsewhere. Absolutely everyone here takes their dogs on lead as I did. Never once had staff told us that they needed to be muzzled. 

I would have had no issues with doing that, but our Bunnings here has never enforced or asked of it. 

I concede some prominent signs would be useful:

image_51fafed39606ee5a6ef3fb30.jpg

blogIMG_1929.jpg

download (5).jpg

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Teebs said:

In the 2 Bunnings near me in QLD I have never seen a muzzled dog and actually had no idea it was a requirement till this sad story came out. I've never taken either of my dogs there (and not planning to) but I've seen plenty of dogs in store and also photos from friends visiting with their dogs on FB. But no muzzles. Also not seen any signs in store about it so just assumed it was on a rug in a trolley as that is all I've ever seen, even with bigger dogs. Certainly if I knew or was told by staff that I was doing it wrong I would leave the store immediately. I'm sure most of us would because we don't want to lose the privilege. 

• Like 2

One time, while I was in Bunnings, I was very glad that I didn't have my dog with me as a lady was walking around with a Macaw on her arm!  My Phoebe would have gone ballistic screaming and trying to chase it.  :laugh:

• Haha 5

never forget asking a chap why he was selling his two cavaliers. 

turned out they had decided his birds needed culling and had worked out how to get into the cages and had already wiped out two aviaries.  he decided he preferred his birds to two would be hunting cavaliers.  never knew some cavaliers fancy themselves as hunters.

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Kirislin said:

There’s no way the dipstick didn’t know his dog was aggressive.  I think for some crazy reason he did it deliberately.

Considering there is plenty of dog fighting going on in Australia and worse in many other countries, I wouldn’t doubt it, @Kirislin.  :cry::cry:

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Loving my Oldies said:

Considering there is plenty of dog fighting going on in Australia and worse in many other countries, I wouldn’t doubt it, @Kirislin.  :cry::cry:

there was a post somewhere of gundogs, fetching ducks. sheepdogs herding sheep. pointers yes pointing. the 4th phot was pits being held faceing each other.

The first three were labeled   Breed - purpose.  The last, interestingly, was labeled  Breed - nurture

think the poster was asking why when working dogs do what what they were bred for they are just doing the purpose they were bred for.

then was asking why when a pit is doing what they have been bred for instead we hear the owner failed to nurture it? 

the one I see the most is blame the deed not the breed.

It is about time owners of breeds bred for fighting took more responsibility and be far more careful than the fool who took that dog to Bunnings

unleashed.

sure many are wonderful. 

the few that tear pets apart, joggers apart (never forget that poor man whose lungs could be seen when the ambos arrived) at least he survived although I doubt the nightmares would go away any time soon. Leave behind fear of them all.

Edited by asal
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1