Dog's breath smells a bit off

giraffez

My dog was recently had some rotten teeth removed.  Got the xrays done and targeted the problematic teeth.  Also had the scale and polish done.  His breath smells better but it's still a bit off.  I was expecting it to clear completely, should it?  Its been a month since the procedure.  The smell is like a mild version of the rotten teeth smell he had previously, before it was pretty bad, now you get a whiff of the same scent (weaker) now and then but not always.   I brushed his teeth today and smelt the toothbrush and the scent is prevalent there.

The last time my other dog had the same issue, his breath cleared up after the procedure. 

Edited by giraffez

How is his gut? Malcolm has a history of severe perio, had top notch surgery done with a veterinary dentist, after which the smell completely went away when after surgeries by other vets it did not.

Some time later his breath started smelling again. Of course I’m thinking yes your teeth look great but you get sneaky perio where your shiny well-maintained teeth are rotten underneath. Anyway, it was first sign of his IBD and lymphangiectasia. The second sign quite some time later was licking fabric/himself excessively.

• Like 3

I would be suspecting periodontal disease. My first Greyhound had it so bad, in the end, he had all his teeth removed and he never looked back. Before Sam I had an older cat get it. Had a dental, back in 3 weeks for another dental and the 3rd time in another couple of weeks had all his teeth removed. The cat did so well it gave me the courage to have all the dogs teeth out.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

How is his gut? Malcolm has a history of severe perio, had top notch surgery done with a veterinary dentist, after which the smell completely went away when after surgeries by other vets it did not.

Haven't had issues with his gut or any inkling anything is wrong there.  As he got an xray done, if there were any rotten teeth under the gums, that would have picked it up - I assume it would wouldn't it?

How to rule out the gut?  Would pro biotic yogurt help?

15 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

I would be suspecting periodontal disease. 

Yes but he just recently got his teeth looked at and cleaned.  Wouldn't that have resolved this issue?  He did have a few rotten ones out.

Edited by giraffez
  • Like 1

If you hadn’t mentioned X-rays I’d have suspected they didn’t get all the disease, but your mention of X-rays made me question gut health instead as that can also cause foul breath.

Did they take full mouth X-rays or just of those areas where teeth were removed to ensure they got all tooth roots?

You're better off trying a dog specific probiotic like protexin or fortiflora than yoghurt, since dogs have different gut bacteria, but a fair bit is done to dx GI problems... if he has no other symptoms it may not be worth doing the whole kit and kaboodle (med trials, scopes, ultrasound, novel diet).

Sounds like a chat with your vet might be in order.

Gosh Rebanne, that sounds like Malcolm. He’d get a dental and three weeks later look like he needed another. In the end he needed daily toothbrushing and the vet dentist to do their amazing job. I reckon disease was missed by earlier vets, I suspect as they very rarely took X-rays. Apparently a significant percentage of disease is missed if they only poke around. I will never again have dental surgery done without insisting on X-rays.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Papillon Kisses said:

If you hadn’t mentioned X-rays I’d have suspected they didn’t get all the disease

Yeah, unless they missed something.  The smell is the same as when he had the rotten teeth - only not as bad.  I still think it's coming from the teeth and not the gut because after brushing with the toothbrush, the smell is all over the brush.  I'm just wondering whether it does take some time for the original smell to dissipate, but its been a month already.

I would hate it if they missed something, that would mean needing to put the dog under again.:cry:  That would really suck.

Did they take full mouth X-rays or just of those areas where teeth were removed to ensure they got all tooth roots?

Its the full xrays.

Apparently a significant percentage of disease is missed if they only poke around. I will never again have dental surgery done without insisting on X-rays.

Me too, I had that happen to me once where they didn't get everything.  This time round I insisted on xrays.  

Edited by giraffez
  • Like 2

Also check the flew, that little folded pocket of skin about half way along the bottom jaw. Stretch the skin out and have a good look in there. Even the tiniest bit of salivary moisture build up in there can cause localised bacteria to explode and even the inciest winciest bit of bacteria/infection in that little fold can reek like you can’t imagine! 
keeping it clipped, clean & dry will help but if there does happen to be a tiny bit of bacteria/yeast in there, ‘cleaning’ alone won’t hep, it will need some medicine first, then maintain hygiene. 
might not be that but it’s certainly a common cause of gnarly stank from the mouth area. 

Edited by Scratch
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Still locating the source of the problem.  I think its related to the teeth.  When I brush a certain area, the smell is present on the toothbrush, other areas it's no smell.  But I cannot explain how it can still have smell when the xrays are clear.