Beds for chewers

NikkiandKane

My darling Chase has been such a good boy. I have marvelled at how he doesn’t rip soft toys apart. He has the same very soft toys since he was a small pup and he gently squeaks them and tosses them

about but he never rips them apart, even though he easily could.

He sleeps in his crate at night on a foam mat, it is encased in a kind of plastic woven

cover. He also has a towel in there and a little stuffed froggy. This morning he woke me up early, barking to be let out. I went in and saw foam everywhere and thought he had killed his frog, but no, he had chewed a hole in the side of the bed mat (which would’ve been hard to get through) and pulled bits of foam out of the inside.

now that hes Discovered the fun of that, I don’t want to leave that mat in there but want him to be comfortable. 
any suggestions on what to give him to sleep on? Little bugger was barking because he had a dry mouth from pulling foam out and needed a drink.

• Haha 5

Phoebe is 6 and still rips up foam mats! She starts off nesting ( digging ), which makes a hole in the hession cover then keeps going. I've encased the mats in heavy curtain material, like a pillow case, and they last much longer.

58 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

Phoebe is 6 and still rips up foam mats! She starts off nesting ( digging ), which makes a hole in the hession cover then keeps going. I've encased the mats in heavy curtain material, like a pillow case, and they last much longer.

This was encased in a very heavy nylon type woven cover. I’m really surprised he got through it. That’s what I get when I don’t let him get adequate stimulation through the day. Thursday and Friday were busy days and HOT so he didn’t get a walk.

ee have just complete a BIG walk this morning, that should keep him calmer. 

• Like 1

I use layers of VetBed as bedding. I usually buy it from stalls at dog shows but it looks like you can order it here, 

https://www.petnetwork.com.au/collections/premium-quality-vet-bed-dry-bed

I’ve found it to be chew-proof. I recently saw a piece that had been purchased more than 30 years ago and it was almost unmarked.

• Like 2

I use wooden “duck” boards + old towels that I get from the op shop.  However my dogs have quite heavy double coats, so don’t really feel the cold, and they have good wooden kennels so they can get out of the draught .

9 hours ago, DogsAndTheMob said:

I use layers of VetBed as bedding. I usually buy it from stalls at dog shows but it looks like you can order it here, 

https://www.petnetwork.com.au/collections/premium-quality-vet-bed-dry-bed

I’ve found it to be chew-proof. I recently saw a piece that had been purchased more than 30 years ago and it was almost unmarked.

Oooh thank you. I’m at a show in a fortnight, I’ll have a look. Until then Chase has some towels in his crate.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2021 at 7:49 AM, NikkiandKane said:

he had chewed a hole in the side of the bed mat

Lucky he didn't have a beanbag!! LOL 
Dogs here just sleep on opshop towels/blankets etc ..less in Summer, more in Winter  :)

ps...it's about time for another "handsome man " photo ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, persephone said:

Lucky he didn't have a beanbag!! LOL 
Dogs here just sleep on opshop towels/blankets etc ..less in Summer, more in Winter  :)

ps...it's about time for another "handsome man " photo ;) 

Here he is in action at his last show

06D2AF48-F262-4860-B7F4-2759D85B1913.jpeg

1E6D2FEF-6AE7-4C3B-9470-D1C94C8F3E6F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1