Slow hair regrowth

Dusty1986

54 minutes ago, tdierikx said:

I would be approaching the vet with a query, not an accusation, OK? Don't approach it as if they did something negligent to cause it, as sometimes things just happen that are beyond their control, and accusing them of not acting with due diligence won't get anyone anywhere. By all accounts they saved your pup's life, so if pup now has a small bald patch that may take some time to grow back in, that is really a very small price to pay, yes?

T.

Yes of course, I’m not accusing them

of anything, they did a great job. They didn’t save her life she never got sick we just did the procedures to double check her but none the less im not complaining I’m just confused about it. It would be good to rule out an allergy because if she ever needs surgery in future and they give her the same thing and comes out half bald that wouldn’t be ideal Would it  :)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jemappelle said:

The skin is a bit flaky and it looks like an irritation or ringworm.  If you gently pull the fur immediately around it, does it come out easily?

I’ll try today and let you know. Thanks for your help

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dusty1986 said:

They didn’t save her life she never got sick we just did the procedures to double check her but none the less im not complaining I’m just confused about it. It would be good to rule out an allergy because if she ever needs surgery in future and they give her the same thing and comes out half bald that wouldn’t be ideal Would it  :)

I'm a bit confused ( easily done ) why was blood and fluids given if your pupper wasn't sick?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

I'm a bit confused ( easily done ) why was blood and fluids given if your pupper wasn't sick?

She ate grapes accidentally. We took her in as a precaution and they made her vomit and gave her charcoal. Because symptoms can be delayed They then recommended she go on a drip for 48 hours to flush any toxins in her system out. They did a blood test at the end to check whether she had any toxins left in her blood.

• Like 2

So we went to vet this morning And he said it has been shaved to the skin and is just not growing back because perhaps the cannula has rubbed on it.

He said give it a month and if it hasn’t grown back it never will. Very weird but at least it’s not an infection I guess.

Hopefully when the other hair regrows fully you won’t notice it. 

Thanks everyone for your help :)

• Like 3

If the rest of the coat is growing normally I doubt feeding anything will make that patch grow. 
id be more inclined to try something made for scars, like bio oil or whatever.. . The skin is damaged and unless it repairs to a level that allows hair growth, you may have a small bald spot. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 09/02/2021 at 8:43 AM, Dusty1986 said:

Why would they think I’m a numpty for taking her to the vet? Whatever they did caused the bald patch so wouldn’t taking her back to show them be a logical thing to do? If I buy a Fluro light and it is ringworm I still have to go to the vet to treat it and if it’s not I’ve wasted money buying a fluro light which seems more numpty than just going to the vet in the first place

The reason was some sentences in your previous posts (especially the third sentence) :

I called the vet that gave her the needle and they said they are unsure why it’s not growing back at the same rate as the rest of her hair and that it should be.

Vet also confirmed it is not scar tissue.

The vet was so unhelpful but said there is no reason why it wouldn’t be growing back

If it was ringworm wouldn’t the vet notice it.

And you would think the vet would of noticed it was there when she shaved her leg

The reason I suggested the UV light was to do a home-check to save you going back and there are pretty good ointments you can purchase at the chemists had it been ringworm

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Boronia said:

The reason was some sentences in your previous posts (especially the third sentence) :

I called the vet that gave her the needle and they said they are unsure why it’s not growing back at the same rate as the rest of her hair and that it should be.

Vet also confirmed it is not scar tissue.

The vet was so unhelpful but said there is no reason why it wouldn’t be growing back

If it was ringworm wouldn’t the vet notice it.

And you would think the vet would of noticed it was there when she shaved her leg

The reason I suggested the UV light was to do a home-check to save you going back and there are pretty good ointments you can purchase at the chemists had it been ringworm

The vet also said bring her back if it doesn’t get better in the same sentence. I feel bad for you if the vets you take your animal to would think your an idiot for bringing your pet In to help solve a potential medical problem. And also that you’re an idiot for not being satisfied with an answer on the phone of “sorry I don’t know” 

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Dusty1986 said:

The vet also said bring her back if it doesn’t get better in the same sentence. I feel bad for you if the vets you take your animal to would think your an idiot for bringing your pet In to help solve a potential medical problem. And also that you’re an idiot for not being satisfied with an answer on the phone of “sorry I don’t know” 

....sigh

9 hours ago, Dusty1986 said:

Does anyone  have any recommendations on things I can feed her to help encourage hair growth?

I've seen great results with paw-paw ointment (human stuff) on a dog that had full thickness burns - healed all but a tiny spot, with great hair regrowth... worth a try... just get a tub and rub a bit on the bald spot daily, it won't hurt...

T.

Edited by tdierikx
  • Like 1