Slow hair regrowth

Dusty1986

Hi everyone,

I was just hoping to get some thoughts on what is going on with This bald patch on my 12 week old groodle? 

She had to have some blood taken around two weeks ago, in the photo you can see there is a large patch of hair that has been shaved (not to the skin) that is regrowing no problems. However there is a small circular area which is where I assume they have put the needle in that has no hair regrowing. I called the vet that gave her the needle and they said they are unsure why it’s not growing back at the same rate as the rest of her hair and that it should be. Chatting to a dog trainer the other day her theory is this area is where they have shaved her to the skin to get the needle In and it’s just taking longer to regrow which makes the most sense to me. Still seems weird that there is barely any hair there after two weeks. Vet also confirmed it is not scar tissue. Thoughts?

1B169F96-4358-43D8-A61B-E0EAD2AF3289.jpeg

I think it's weird as well. Looks like no hair growth. Sometimes hair can grow back quite slowly but to have no growth? If it is some strange reaction at least surrounding hair will cover the spot but you'd need to keep that in mind for further injections surgery. I'd be checking again with the vet. Was it only blood taken, no medications given?

If I run my thumb over it gently it feels prickly so I’m hoping that’s a good sign? The vet was so unhelpful but said there is no reason why it wouldn’t be growing back so I guess that means there was no  medication given that would do that? She was given charcoal and an eye drop to make her vomit as she  accidentally ate grapes. Could she be pulling the hair out overnight with her teeth? There is no scarring and the skin is not red or irritated which you would expect to see if they had of put something on it to make the hair fall out

3 minutes ago, persephone said:

That is strange. 
is the rest of her skin the same colour? 
perhaps she had some reaction to whatever they 'cleaned/disinfected' the skin with before inserting the needle?

I’m starting to think that could be it though because the skin is a little flakey and scabby around it. weird that the vet that did the needle didn’t mention that she put something on it that could do that though 

next thing - are you SURE that's where the needle was put in ? It's not a patch of ringworm exposed by the shaving ? Ringworm is a fungus which causes circular hair loss /scabby patches in most mammals(humans included) It is transferred amongst species .Diagnosed by vet . 
*shrugs* just guessing..cos it's weird. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dusty1986 said:

53 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

I think it's weird as well. Looks like no hair growth. Sometimes hair can grow back quite slowly but to have no growth? If it is some strange reaction at least surrounding hair will cover the spot but you'd need to keep that in mind for further injections surgery. I'd be checking again with the vet. Was it only blood taken, no medications given?

28 minutes ago, persephone said:

next thing - are you SURE that's where the needle was put in ? It's not a patch of ringworm exposed by the shaving ? Ringworm is a fungus which causes circular hair loss /scabby patches in most mammals(humans included) It is transferred amongst species .Diagnosed by vet . 
*shrugs* just guessing..cos it's weird. 

I’m actually not sure if that’s exactly where the needle went. Looks like it went in a bit lower than the bald patch. If it was ringworm wouldn’t the vet notice it and wouldn't it be in other areas of her body?

6 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

Any chance it was always there but not noticed until the surrounding hair was clipped? Grasping at straws here.

It’s possible I hadnt considered that. I feel like I would of noticed it though when I was brushing her. And you would think the vet would of noticed it was there when she shaved her leg. I think I’ll just take her back to the vet this week to see what is going on. The other weird thing is from my understanding they just took blood and put an iv in her for fluids so I don't think she has reacted to anything they have her. IF it was a reaction to the antiseptic you would think she would have bald patches on both her legs but she only has it on one...

• Like 2

To save going to the vet (and he thinking you are a double numpty) buy a UV light and test for ringworm yourself, an Australian seller on ebay may have an el-cheapo

A Wood's lamp is an ultraviolet light with a specific wavelength of light which causes some strains of M. canis (the most common feline ringworm species) to fluoresce. ... Some medications will fluoresce if they are on the hair coat, including doxycycline, Clavamox, and eye ointments.

The catheter for taking blood and attaching the IV would have been placed in the shaved area... not outside it. The bald patch looks to be below the patch towards the wrist/foot, is that correct? How long was she on the drip? Could the patch be from the port on the catheter rubbing, or from where the tape was placed to secure it, and maybe when removed pulled the fur out a bit more vigorously than expected? Hair/fur grows back slower if it's been pulled out by the root...

T.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tdierikx said:

The catheter for taking blood and attaching the IV would have been placed in the shaved area... not outside it. The bald patch looks to be below the patch towards the wrist/foot, is that correct? How long was she on the drip? Could the patch be from the port on the catheter rubbing, or from where the tape was placed to secure it, and maybe when removed pulled the fur out a bit more vigorously than expected? Hair/fur grows back slower if it's been pulled out by the root...

T.

Yes that is correct, the patch is lower at the bottom of the shaved area towards her foot. She was on it for 2 days so it’s a possibility.. really hope it grows back because it’s as ugly as sin atm haha

Edited by Dusty1986
Spelling
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Boronia said:

To save going to the vet (and he thinking you are a double numpty) buy a UV light and test for ringworm yourself, an Australian seller on ebay may have an el-cheapo

A Wood's lamp is an ultraviolet light with a specific wavelength of light which causes some strains of M. canis (the most common feline ringworm species) to fluoresce. ... Some medications will fluoresce if they are on the hair coat, including doxycycline, Clavamox, and eye ointments.

Why would they think I’m a numpty for taking her to the vet? Whatever they did caused the bald patch so wouldn’t taking her back to show them be a logical thing to do? If I buy a Fluro light and it is ringworm I still have to go to the vet to treat it and if it’s not I’ve wasted money buying a fluro light which seems more numpty than just going to the vet in the first place

I would be approaching the vet with a query, not an accusation, OK? Don't approach it as if they did something negligent to cause it, as sometimes things just happen that are beyond their control, and accusing them of not acting with due diligence won't get anyone anywhere. By all accounts they saved your pup's life, so if pup now has a small bald patch that may take some time to grow back in, that is really a very small price to pay, yes?

T.

• Like 3