Existing Dog meeting Pup

Kashep2

We are thinking of taking our existing dog with us to pick up our new puppy. We don't want to leave her at home all day while we drive to get the new puppy and then have her overly excited when we get home. What are people's thought's on taking your existing dog with you?

Thanks. 

It depends if you want to take your dog on to the breeder's premises which is probably not going to be allowed anyway, due to risk of infection etc.  I once took an existing dog with me but she stayed in the car (winter time) and the pup went into the car in a crate.

As a breeder I would not let your dog on my property, she would have to stay in the car. To handle the excitement when you get home, have one person go in and get the greeting out of the way, you could even take in some bedding the pup has been on, then after a few minutes put the dog on lead while the other person brings the pup in.

• Like 2

I wouldn't - what if  she decided she didn't want pup in the car? :(  Plus, as said, she would not be allowed at the breeders anyhow - well, shouldn't be allowed onto their property - I certainly wouldn't allow her onto the property ... 
Can someone not take her for a short walk as soon as you get home , allowing puppy to have a look around , and for her to get rid of some excitement ? 
:)

• Like 1

You will be dealing with the excitement and issues for weeks to come .

Pup deserves it’s time at pick up and yes as a breeder your dog wouldnt be allowed on the property and I would be annoyed if you just turned up with it .

Let the pup deal with the change ,manage the meet n greet at home very simple .

pup goes in the backyard when you get home to toilet  see the yard and the other family member deals with older dog either going for a walk ,feed time and a slow meet n greet ,no guarantee your older dog will like the pup ASAP 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone, I certainly would speak to the breeder beforehand if I was going to take our existing dog. But I take all your points and appreciate the advice.  We will leave her at home as suggested.

Thanks again!

• Like 2