Price of some puppies 'could double' in NSW as crackdown hits hobby breeders

Powerlegs

• 2 weeks later...

Ive never bought a pure bred dog .but I was quite surprised seeing cross breeds at pet shops being sold for $2800 . I think I'm very out of touch with perhaps the going rate / acceptable rate for buying a dog .

I know certain breeds cost more than others but I did assume cross breeds were alot less 

On 14/03/2021 at 3:16 PM, Farmgirl said:

Ive never bought a pure bred dog .but I was quite surprised seeing cross breeds at pet shops being sold for $2800 . I think I'm very out of touch with perhaps the going rate / acceptable rate for buying a dog .

I know certain breeds cost more than others but I did assume cross breeds were alot less 

look up gumtree, the oodle x's are even going to $9000 ?  unreal

I’ve seen BCxAusShep going for $4k, BichonxMoodle for $8k, chi crosses for $3.5k+ and the same woman has another litter of ‘teacup’ chi’s for over $4k. It’s insane, and a lot are duping people by stating they’re registered, but it’s through RPBA and similar. 

meanwhile  ANKC members are telling each other "we should not be asking a price that covered breeding our pups, not doing it for the money"

I noticed three  breeders were asking only 1,000 for their puppies and two told me that. the other didn't reply to my query why so cheap.

A friend posted this today on faceplant.

Why  are we being encouraged to not value ourselves or our work or knowledge we put into our pups? 

Why is it believed to be proving your "ethical"?  or as a friend asked, "is the  first priority of being an ankc member today stupidity?

It certainly is not the agenda of the x breeders and the people who want a pet are paying the insane prices. 

A giant ship's engine broke down and no one could repair it, so they hired a Mechanical #Engineer with over 40 years of experience.
He inspected the engine very carefully, from top to bottom. After seeing everything, the engineer unloaded the bag and pulled out a small hammer.
He knocked something gently. Soon, the engine came to life again. The engine has been fixed!
7 days later the engineer mentioned that the total cost of repairing the giant ship was $20,000 to the ship owner.
"What?!" said the owner.
"You did almost nothing. Give us a detailed bill."
The answer is simple:
Tap with a hammer: $2
Know where to knock and how much to knock: $19,998
The importance of appreciating one's expertise and experience...because those are the results of struggles, experiments and even tears.
If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 20 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.
Edited by asal

Interesting conversation with a chap just now.

his neighbour breeds, cavoodles, beagoodles and Borderdoodles.  It is a totally dedicated puppy farm and the owner is on the best of terms with the RSPCA inspector who came to "audit" the place .

Thanks to the mega prices the puppies bring in the place has the best of everything because they can afford to.

so much for eliminating puppy farms.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, asal said:

meanwhile  ANKC members are telling each other "we should not be asking a price that covered breeding our pups, not doing it for the money"

This is true amongst rescue. (like we're all living the high life anyway :laugh: ) That the dogs should be worth less or you're just money grabbing despite everyone knowing you spend triple the asking adoption fee on vet bills, premium food, meds, wormer/flea/tick - with donations covering some if you're fortunate enough to have donors :worship: .

We've got permanent/palliative/special needs care dogs to think of also.

We should all be aware of re-sellers.

If ANKC are selling cheaper than 'market value' (sorry I don't like that term) out of some sort of misguided principle, you really need to be doing your homework and vetting buyers. Dogs do end up being on-sold for extortionate prices &/or if un-desexed; being backyard bred from to make the money back. Case in point, the pup thread. 

• Like 3

I agree with above comments, but think we should also be looking at other implications of this trend.

ie; Dogs being priced out of range of some very good homes, and in general Dog ownership not being a 'natural' expectation for people and communities.

Then there there is the problem of people paying such large amounts for the right to keep a dog, and the risks of health issues. Seems to me there is an increased expectation that the 'product' not be 'faulty' so compensation and liability for (mainly) hobby breeder who have fewer resources to research and access  lines either free of or complimentary to peak health. 

Many breeds might more effectively benefit from cross breeding to eliminate health issues if gene pools are already compromised.

Less popular or well known breeds being by passed and forgotten in an increasingly commercial system, and their eventual extinction.

Other breeds either not able to be bred economically, or selected from, a commercial set up.(Think larger dogs, and many working types not able to be tested effectively in their working environments)

The instruction to 'Take Dogs out of their environment' is well under way and gaining momentum fast. Too late for  ANKC to alter the out come in its present form and no other registry designed for the purpose of dogs, rather than 'Standards' of condition that allow no room for evolution of condition.

ANKC and their affiliates have agreed to a cultural identity that does not recognise its environment. Loss of responsibility to, and purpose of Dogs is the  inevitable outcome and what we are seeing in action. Without purpose and responsibility, value to environment is lost.

We either need either a new registry based on biological physics of acceptance to environment, or for ANKC to step up to those responsibilities.

Or domestic dogs will be lost to our grandchildren. Seen as too costly for society to maintain on welfare grounds. Thats where we are headed now. 

Biophysical law says. 

Yes Moosmum.

too true.

as for the witch hunts to "eliminate" back yarders and or puppy farmers is pandering to the hate so many people like to be part of with no idea they too can be targeted as the parameters to accuse are so vague.

spotted this quote from the Queen today and thought gee she doesn't realise this also applies to dog people.

Peace and Goodwill

For her holiday broadcast in 1957, the Queen was facing a historic moment. This was to be the first televised message, moving away from radio. She offered comfort in a changing world: "It has always been easy to hate and destroy," she said. "To build and to cherish is much more difficult. That is why we can take a pride in the new Commonwealth we are building."   "

the ankc has been busy tearing itself apart for over 20 years without realising nice as it feels to be part of the call to " to hate and destroy"  those accused of being targeted as puppy farmers/backyard breeders.  

its about time to "To build and to cherish" before its too late for the rapidly declining still remaining before its too late.

• Like 1

Yep. Discredit what you have and its value is diminished.

Less value means less support given.

And there can be  no distinctions made in the demand for 'Standards".

Critical Theory is doing the same for Humanity- Instead of assuming equality,we are being taught to seek qualification for it. 

A physical impossibility, to measure equality. That demands division of the sum, into opposed factions. Based on diversity.

To measure equality by its diversity can only reduce diversity because equality cancels it out. So much for cancel culture.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moosmum said:

Yep. Discredit what you have and its value is diminished.

Less value means less support given.

And there can be  no distinctions made in the demand for 'Standards".

Critical Theory is doing the same for Humanity- Instead of assuming equality,we are being taught to seek qualification for it. 

A physical impossibility, to measure equality. That demands division of the sum, into opposed factions. Based on diversity.

To measure equality by its diversity can only reduce diversity because equality cancels it out. So much for cancel culture.

OMG I’ve been trying to find a succinct way of summing this up!! And there it is. 

crazy how everyone seems to want their own little bit of equality these days huh! Sorry folks, that’s not equality! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Scratch said:

OMG I’ve been trying to find a succinct way of summing this up!! And there it is. 

crazy how everyone seems to want their own little bit of equality these days huh! Sorry folks, that’s not equality! 

No. Its refusal to accept our diversity for what it is......Equal in Humanity.

Diversity can't be equal too.  It can be Human.

The SUM of its parts are equal.

The different parts are not.

Because as soon as you separate them for measurement, you have division.

Characterisation  of Human conditions  as anything other than equal to their Humanity is always bigotry, and will always be a negative or reductive measure to Humanity.

Assigning  identities within humanity denies the diversity of human  conditions. And you don't address the conditions if you are seeing some thing else because you assume the  relationship is the problem.

Human conditions are not subjective to us, as parts of our Human environment. We are subjective to it. 

We can only alter unfavourable conditions Objectively.

If Education or Wealth are unequal to Humanity we alter those.

So colour  trans or poor are not problematic. We reduce the problems instead of redistributing them according to characterisations that create divisions.

So we change our language to reverse  logic. 

• Like 1