Removal of teeth

My sister's cross breed has a lot of tooth problems incl periodontal disease and their vet has given an option of removing all teeth.

Has anyone had all of their dogs teeth removed and if so, how did it go... can the dog still have hard foods, do they just chew on their jaw bones?

Edited by Pucapo
Spelling

I've had old dogs with only a few teeth and a cat that had all her teeth removed at 6.  They cope perfectly fine, in fact, they seem much happier after the problem teeth have been removed.  The cat lived until she was nearly 18 and the vet felt that the fact she didn't have teeth helped her reach that age (dental disease affects heart, liver, kidneys etc).  The gums harden so they can still eat dry food and soft bones.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes! My first Greyhound. Sam was so much happier and healthier. He still mouthed bones. Managed chicken necks well. Never a problem with his dry which I did moisten. My only regret was not doing it 3 years earlier.

• Like 2

I have to add I had a cat first that ended up with all teeth removed because of periodontal disease. 3 vet visits in just over 6 weeks with removal of teeth at each trip. Cat never looked back either. So when Sam had yet about bout I asked the vet about removing all his teeth. 

• Like 2

Are we talking Stomatitis?
Very very painful and unless you put them on prednisolone forever (v bad), the best treatment is complete removal. The relief for the animal is incredible. And they do fine, gums harden up very well. Lots of dogs have no teefies for different reasons, it's no dramas for them. :)  Some do end up with their tongue sticking out a bit, that's about all.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

Are we talking Stomatitis?
Very very painful and unless you put them on prednisolone forever (v bad), the best treatment is complete removal. The relief for the animal is incredible. And they do fine, gums harden up very well. Lots of dogs have no teefies for different reasons, it's no dramas for them. :)  Some do end up with their tongue sticking out a bit, that's about all.  

I do not know if they have given her a name for it but will ask when we speak tomorrow. Thank you