Advice on purchasing a puppy

DogLover42

Hello, first time poster here hoping for some advice on adding a new dog to our family.

Like most, I've heard all the stories about puppy farms and want to avoid anything like that! There are a few breeds we would be keen on (shihtzus, boston terriers, pugs, papillions) but also would be happy with cross breeds of these and older puppies up to 12months old.

What I've noticed though is that it looks like a "registered" breeder can only be of a pure breed, is that right? Is there a place to find breeders of crosses that also provide great care to the mum and pups or am I limited to purebreds?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by DogLover42

As this site is predominately aimed at the purebreed community, you may not get many responses promoting any breeder who breeds crosses... just giving you the heads up there, OK?

Personally, if I were looking for something other than a purebred, I would be looking at the many rescue groups out there who have so many awesome dogs/pups looking for their forever homes... most of these dogs/pups come vaccinated, temperament checked, all relevant health checks, and they will try their very best to match new owners and dogs to try to ensure that both will be compatible... which is worth way more than the asking price IMHO...

T.

• Like 5

Google will find you 'Registries' of pure and crossbreeders to make it look legit. Having taken some ex breeding dogs I'd say their apparent high standards aren't worth the paper they're written on.
For purebred go ANKC registered. 

Rescue is always an option. Just make sure you do your homework. The dog should have been in foster care minimum of 2-3 weeks if otherwise healthy; to make sure the vaccine, vetwork and parasite treatments are all done and the dog has recovered, stitches removed and had a chance to be assessed. 

Pounds are a source, you just don't get the foster care benefits. 

Shelters (kennels) staff do get to know their dogs well (some are placed into care if they aren't liking the kennels) but little things like housetraining aren't always easy to assess.

Rescue is here https://www.savour-life.com.au/adopt-a-dog/

Pedigree are here https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/dog-breeders.asp

• Like 7

18 hours ago, DogLover42 said:

What I've noticed though is that it looks like a "registered" breeder can only be of a pure breed, is that right? Is there a place to find breeders of crosses that also provide great care to the mum and pups or am I limited to purebreds?

The word 'registered' can be used to mean registered with council, and there are a few registers other than the main pedigree registration bodies (state canine associations).  Some of these may accept cross breeding.  Some may be commercially oriented.

No registration guarantees great care to mum and pups.  You really have to look into the individual breeder.  To further complicate things, some people who get slammed as back yard breeders and are on no registry consider their dogs to be family members and take loving care, though they may skip health testing.

The high price of pups these days makes for a lot of opportunists. 

• Like 2