Justice (Mr Joostice) - 2005 to 19/02/21

It’s taken me a few weeks to be able to bring myself to start writing this post about my dear, sweet boy and our life together. Justice (or Mr Joostice, the very first nickname (among many) that he was given and that stuck with him forever) was an absolute delight of a dog and it’s hard to imagine going forward without him, after spending 12 of his 15 years with him by my side. As most of you know, too much of his life was spent dealing with his fear and anxiety issues, so I don’t want to focus on those struggles in this tribute to him. My boy was so much more than the impact they had on him (and on us) and he deserves more than being remembered by the worst times.

This funny, wonderful, snuggly bundle of energy, joy and love came in to my life in September 2008. I’d spent weeks getting approval from my landlord and strata management group to get a dog and on the day I was due to pick up the dog I’d chosen, the arrangement fell through. I was devastated and had sworn I wouldn’t even consider another dog for months. The very next morning I got an email from my best friend saying that she knew how upset I was but that a sweet little staffy cross had been doing the rounds through her work colleagues, after being dumped by his owners on to a friend of theirs, and he was being taken to the pound the following day if no one wanted him. When I saw this photo of Justice that was attached to the email, his sweet little face looked like it was pleading for someone to love him and completely melted my heart. I agreed to pick up my friend and her boss and go and meet him when they finished work that day. He was so gentle and lovely and had zero interest in playing or doing anything when I met him, besides getting pats and leaning up against me.

2008_09_18

In hindsight, it ending up being a blessing that the other dog didn't work out as planned. Taking Justice home with me was the best decision I’ve ever made and it didn’t take long at all for him to worm his way in to my heart completely, and my bed.

J bed

I absolutely loved taking Mr J with me everywhere that I could and he loved exploring different beaches and parks, meeting new people and making new doggo friends. He very quickly became besties with my best friend’s dog and would get so very excited over seeing him.

IMG_3979 copy

_MG_4622 copy

I don’t know of anyone who spent time with Justice over the years who didn’t adore him. Even my aunty, who is scared of dogs, thought he was the bees knees. When she met him, he just leaned up against her legs gently for pats and then went to sleep on her feet. All these years later, she still makes mention of how lovely he was with her. Right up until the end, my boy thought every person he saw was a potential opportunity for pats (and treats.. lol.) Justice was the biggest snuggle bug and waking up to him wriggling his way up my bed in the mornings, until he’d either plonked his head on my pillow next to me and started giving me kisses, or tucked his head under my chin for cuddles and gentle belly rubs, was the most delightful way to start the day and so sorely missed. My little boof was also so very in tune with how I was feeling and any time I was unwell, particularly if it was with a migraine, he’d curl up quietly next to me and ask for absolutely nothing, not even his meals if I was too sick to get up (as opposed to his normal behaviour of staring at me intently and climbing on me and making sure I couldn’t possibly forget to feed him, usually starting an hour before his meal time.. lol), but if my breathing or temperature changed he’d gently put a paw on my arm and look at me like he was checking that I was alright, before putting his head back down and resting with me. He was such a love.

15192603_1226287144080750_1525201294333080673_n

Despite being a massive food whore and acting like he’d never been fed before at meal times (including zoomies, woo woos, barking and his funny little dinner dance that he did), he so often wouldn’t get up for breakfast if he felt like he hadn’t had enough cuddles yet and would snuggle right in for some more. He was also a jerk and when he’d had his fill of loving, would abruptly get up and turn his back on me like he was saying “right, feed me biatch.” He was such a cheeky monkey at times but always made me laugh, even when he was being a total snot.. lol.

10863811_807148459327956_6751150694369956841_o

96149612_3016603108382469_1313056667293712384_o

Justice loved digging holes in the back yard and always thought he was so stealthy and had successfully hidden the evidence by covering it over with dirt afterwards, using his nose. And of course, got busted every time. He used to have me and my cousins in stitches every time he visited their dog, when he would madly dig at a hole that had been started by other dog and every single time one of us walked back outside, he’d throw his entire body down over the hole the second he saw us, like there was nothing to see there and we should just move along.. lol.

IMG_1881

Mr J ended up having two more besties at different times over the years. He loved playing as much as he loved food (that means A LOT) and it made my heart so full to see the absolute joy on his face when he got to see them and go nuts.

11148367_904272739615527_5025579460890650779_o

886008_904272592948875_7981402075937922508_o

It’s hard to believe that this video was only taken a year ago and that he was still this feisty and energetic right up until the end of December 2020, when he tore a muscle and had to take it easy for his last couple of months (he's in the blue collar.)

And the old man having a post play snooze with his much younger “girlfriend.”

69284365_2443041499071969_1879884323348283392_o

He also got to know another aunty’s two dogs over the past few years and although they didn’t play with him, he still loved getting to hang out with them and go on forest treks together.

21557500_1523958257646969_1039954740340664038_n

Soon after I got Justice, I became obsessed with taking photos of him at every possible opportunity and he is the reason I ended up buying a proper camera and learning about photography. Thankfully for both our sakes, I got better at it over the years and also eventually stopped making him wear silly costumes for my amusement. There are literally hundreds (if not heading in to the thousands) of photos that I’ve taken of him over the years but here are just a few of the ones that always make me smile.

Easter Bunny

10355713_896606110382190_6587704536051510035_o

923222_535260579850080_1578383238_n

20210124_173432

198919_536943333015138_38424936_n

11953369_931460753563392_648834083830859798_o

11710015_916613195048148_6642385365321064110_o

15875225_1277498625626268_447476688483969829_o

21248404_1508881969154598_7815416896275756036_o

25488252_1611427462233381_5817993349674126247_o

68307836_2439568762752576_6263594422596796416_o

Justice will forever have an enormous part of my heart and it seems impossible to imagine a world without him in it, but I know that my life is infinitely better for having shared so much of it with him and for all of the things he has taught me along the way, including how to be a better person.  I love you dearly my little man and you will always be the boofhead of my heart. :heart:

141723023_3739539979422108_474413879879491791_o

Edited by Snook
  • Like 18

Oh @Snook... that is the most awesome tribute to the best boy ever. You and he shared the best years, and created so many amazing and beautiful memories...

Thank you so much for sharing many of those memories with us here, so that we could all know and love him too... an amazing legacy... and he will be sorely missed by so many...

Mr Joostice is in some very great company at the Bridge... he won't be lonely as he waits for you, OK?

(now my eyes are leaking thinking of my beloved Woosie sharing her fave sunny snoozing spots and bunny chasing paddocks with him... *sob*)

Massive hugs...

T.

• Like 3

I loved coming into DOL and seeing photos and updates of Justice. Thank you for sharing your life together with us. He will be so missed by many in here.

• Like 3

Damn, the dust is bad this morning, my eyes are leaking madly. 

What a wonderful tribute to that special special boy , and thanks for sharing again so many photos of Justice - thoseamazing big brown eyes, and that grin  :love: . You were so good for each other - and I am glad you had such a long time - never long enough though :(
Justice, you will be missed. 

• Like 2

What an awesome tribute to a great dog. Sounds like you’ve both had an amazing time together. Your photos are just gorgeous. 
When Zena passed I made a photo book of her life. It was going to be just a few special photos but ended up being quite a thick book. I take way too many photos and now I know why. It was hard to do this book but ultimately it helped me also. I’d recommend you make a book of his life. Zena’s book stands on a buffet for everyone to see and I often flick through the pages. They never get forgotten. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Kazm said:

What an awesome tribute to a great dog. Sounds like you’ve both had an amazing time together. Your photos are just gorgeous. 
When Zena passed I made a photo book of her life. It was going to be just a few special photos but ended up being quite a thick book. I take way too many photos and now I know why. It was hard to do this book but ultimately it helped me also. I’d recommend you make a book of his life. Zena’s book stands on a buffet for everyone to see and I often flick through the pages. They never get forgotten. 

I feel like I wrote far too much but also like I didn't even come close to truly conveying what a sweet, amazing, wonderful dog he was and everything he meant to me. 

I'm so glad you made a photo book of Zena. I was already planning to do the same for Justice, as I don't want his photos to stay hidden on my computer, but I also don't want to turn my place in to a shrine to him by putting a million photos on display. A photo book is the perfect solution. :heart:

• Like 6

Snook what a beautiful tribute ... I wasn’t lucky enough to meet Justice but the love you have for each other shows in every single photo and post :) 

Rip sweet Justice :rainbowbridge:

• Like 3

Dear @Snook, a truly beautiful tribute to your beautiful Justice.  (And you are beautiful too. )  

Those last two photos (the one of Justice channelling his inner wolf and the one of both of you) are very very precious.  I am sure many of us can relate to your story of seeing Justice’s photo was all it took to know he was yours and you were his.   :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

Huge loss, huge love.  In the world of dogs, they seem to go together.  

Always remembered, Snook.    

• Like 6

That's just the loveliest tribute Snook, he really was a special boy and we'll all miss him.

This is my favourite photo...woo woo I have a cake

it bought tears to my eyes

B xx

21248404_1508881969154598_7815416896275756036_o

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

@Snook what a truly beautiful tribute to your boy.   As others have said, we will all miss hearing about his funny antics and seeing your wonderful photo's.

Kazm's suggestion of a photo book sounds like a wonderful idea

• Like 4

Thank you for sharing such a loving tribute Snook. It's amazing how much joy our companions bring into our lives, I hope your beautiful memories of Justice bring you some comfort.

RIP Justice

• Like 3

Beautiful, heartfelt tribute to such a special and very loved boy. 

The photo of him laying in the leaves- just no words :heart::heart:

• Like 2

Oh Snook - I'm so sad to read your beautiful tribute to Justice.  I'm another who always enjoyed seeing your photos of him and hearing how he was doing.  You are certainly an exceptional owner the way you tried everything for your boy when there were difficulties with his anxiety or health.  Special dogs like him never really leave us - they just give us great memories and teach us how to love wholeheartedly.  Please know that those of us who have been down that road with our dogs,  care and understand what you are feeling at this time.  He was a good boy.

• Like 3

Thank you all for your thoughtful, kind words. I've never really known what to say when anyone has posted about their beloved dog or cat passing, as it was just so hard to imagine how it would feel, having never been through it before. I really appreciate all of your comments and the incredible amount of support I received when Justice was declining rapidly and had to be given his wings. I don't have the words for how much it has meant to me. :heart:

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh @Snook - I don't know what planet I've been on, to have missed this until today.  What a wonderful tribute you have written for your beautiful boy.  And what a wonderful, wonderful life you gave him.   And what a lot he taught you, that you have been able to share with DOLers.  We will all miss your special boy ... but hopefully we won't be missing you.  Your dear Justice will always be one of the DOL special characters.  :hug: to you.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am so sorry to hear about Justice.  I haven't been on DOL since I lost Sari, it's too hard.  It is amazing both of our rescue staffy babies made it to such a fine age.  I hope they are both up there chasing rabbits or just laying in the sunshine as was Sari's preference over everything.

I hope you are doing ok.  It is hard to adjust when they have been a constant in your life for so long.  I really feel your loss. Take care.

• Like 1