Suprelorin removal, anyone?

EsmeR

Hi all,

Looking to see if anyone has tried successfully or not to remove the implants. We were led to believe they were removal but after consulting a couple of vets it seems this may not be the case. Also that the 12 month implant last more like 2 to 3 years. Hit me with your stories.

Thanks guys.

I haven't myself but there have been posts here about implant and how it can last much longer then thought and has also made a couple of dogs sterile. And also posts about full fertility after implant wears off. I haven't read anything about removal. The advice is to always get your dog collected before implanting if there is any possibility of them being used in a breeding program.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

We had the 12 month Suprelorin implant recommended by a vet we no longer use for other serious failures.  For a 5 month old ShihTzu male that was maturing sexually and marking everything everywhere including in the house, on our bed etc, and to avoid a too early pregnancy as we had similar age girl coming into heat that had moved in with us.  It seemed too difficult to keep them seperate and what we were told is that the Suprelorin implant will temporarily solve these issues, is reversible as castration only lasts for 6 or 12 months depending on which you get, so we could delay decision on permanent sterilisation or breeding until a later date. 

Well, that was Nov 2019 and it’s now Nov 2022 and the 12 month implant is only just starting to wear off, that is we hope it is!!!  He still has super tiny soft balls, that haven’t even quarter filled up to pre implant.  He shows sexual interest and has done over last 15 months shown a tiny interest but only after she really puts in the effort to get him keen.  He even started to try and mount but got nowhere every time and that was over a year ago. He has no idea of what to expect and doesn’t get his lipstick in.  It’s very frustrating to watch and not nearly as frustrating as what it is for the girl. The girl has gone through many heats and each time tries her best to get him interested by mounting him to show what she needs and WAS also doing 69s all the time during every heat to try to get him excited.  When he would start thrusting, she turns over hoping he will mount her.  She did 69s until she learnt he would like 69s and think this was ‘normal’ and I think he may of ejaculated a couple of times and of course lose interest in the activity. If he did get excited he would keep trying to 69 her thinking that’s what she wanted/normal.  She’s learned limits thankfully.  Now, if he does mount, at the right end, once up, he mimics what she did to him but has no idea about getting his lipstick inside her or the importance of that. As for his lipstick, I have seen it fully extended once and I think he may of had a slip mate given how he intensified his humping for a bit, until she knew it wasn’t inside her and so she turns around to upclose ‘check him out’ and I suspect she may have been ‘too rough’ at some time with her 69 and teeth and frustrations and all, on his super sensitive lipstick, so that when she turns to ‘check’ what’s out or not, he is scared and moves away shielding it and his lipstick disappears again.  I’ve tried to help but they stop all sexual activity if I intervene at all. I’ve tried tying them up so she can’t move etc and I think they think they are in trouble as they don’t engage with each other then. 

We were told this Suprelorin 12 month would be a good thing for the behaviour issues he had and allow for breeding if wanted in 15-18 months, after implant wears off and the girl is no longer too young - which was perfect for our circumstances then.  The implant was put in by a vet who first put it in the dogs side/ribs which when he wriggled, it shot out across the room and the vet had to order another one in for a second attempt.  Let me tell you it’s not a small thing, and it was an ordeal for my boy to undergo, let alone twice.  I’m not sure where he put the second one in as I wasn’t in the room, and we changed vet once he failed us on another more serious medical condition that could of been avoided with good veterinary advice, so we don’t know where the implant is located in his body in order to try have it removed (if possible). I read it should be back of neck behind shoulders. 

We were given this Suprelorin 12 month implant without cautions or warnings, nor advice to take sperm beforehand or the impacts on a young sexually inexperienced male.   He is a tiny ShihTzu and had never mated before implant and now we question if he will ever mate successfully ever.  We always wanted to give the girl at least one litter, and she would be a dam great mumma too.  She so deserves it after everything she has been through.    They are both such beautiful sweet dogs and this has been so stressful and sad. The suffering I have seen her go through with having a viable male around who can’t give her what she needs, is very, very frustrating and distressing to all. 

I’ve read that the 6 month implant has had good results for others however caution should be given if using in a sexually inexperienced male as it can have far reaching effects as we have found thus far.  I definitely wouldn’t recommend the 12 month implant to anyone based on our experience which is still causing issues now 3 years after implant. Indeed I found data to show the recommended dosage for a horse (!) is the exact same implant put in my ShihTzu!!!!!  ….it truly horrifies me to think we put one of these into our dear sweet tiny little ShihTzu.  We are hopeful our boy and girl will work it out and she can have that one litter we all wanted.  Our new vet is not pro breeding, like many, but we will ask to have tests done soon if it doesn’t happen naturally, as we may have to look at either paying for another male to stud her or get her sterilised, as we don’t want her to get ill and would rather do this and put an end to her suffering of being in heat around him. 

Im thankful for this site and the info I’ve read here about real experiences with Suprelorin implant for dogs.