Pup only

Lucyfrenchy

2 hours ago, Lucyfrenchy said:

Hey Guys

I purchased a French bulldog pup whom I wanted to breed her. Her papers say Pup only. 

Does this mean I cannot breed her ? 

I'd suggest attaching a photo of the papers.  I've never seen 'pup only' on a pedigree.

• Like 4

She is completely healthy. Her line runs really clean and healthy. But due to her being a girl and crwam in colour and has blue they set her at a price and what i didnt no is that price was pet only so if i wanted main papers it was an extra 2000

Have I got this straight?  your pup's breeder sold you the pup for a 'pet only' home (Limited register) as her colour isn't correct but you would like to breed her?

It's not looking good for you. The pup's breeder sold her to you at a reduced price because of her colour.

Did you inform your pup's breeder that you wanted to breed her?

Breeders sell their pups on 'Limited' to prevent the new owner's from breeding a dog whose puppies can be registered, this is to prevent the on-going of more dogs with faults which reflects on the original breeder and the breed-type itself.

• Like 5

If your pup is on the Limited Register there is not much you can do without the approval of the original breeder.

Did you realise that there are some colours in your breed that are not acceptable?. 

Perhaps better  talk to the breeder about your plans and see if she will help you swap for a pup that suits you better.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Lucyfrenchy said:

Hey Guys

I purchased a French bulldog pup whom I wanted to breed her. Her papers say Pup only. 

Does this mean I cannot breed her ? 

Would it stop you anyway? 

Edited by Powerlegs
edited
  • Like 4

from the NSW breed club under ethics

Recommended Breeding Practices

a) In line with the breed standard, it is not recommended to breed from any dog exhibiting severe respiratory distress.

b) X ray spines for major defects prior to breeding.  Defects include hemi-vertebrae, kinks and distortions of the spine. 

Screening for long term stability of the spine.

c)   X ray for hip dysplasia prior to breeding.   For breeding purposes spine and hip x rays should be taken when the dog is over 12 months of   age.

X rays should be submitted and scored under the French Bulldog scheme or by a nationally recognised scheme.  For breeding purposes spine and hip x rays should be taken when the dog is over 12 months of age.

d)  X ray and screen puppies spines prior to sale.

e)  DNA test for hereditary cataracts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

To put it bluntly - if she has not been sterilised, and is fertile, then yes, you can breed from her.

But - should you breed from her is a totally different matter.

The questions are:       

Is she healthy?  Answer is that you have no idea.   That requires specific testing on YOUR dog to know that

Do you have approval from her breeder?  Answer is that you don't.

Do you have a mentor or access to someone who can give you help and advice?  And I mean someone who will get out of bed at 2am and drive to your house to help

Why do you want to breed?  

Do you have the financial resources (testing of mum, stud fee, vet costs (some known, others unknown (emergency C-section etc if needed etc)? 

How would you feel if you lost your dog due to pregnancy/birthing issues?  

Can you cope financially if you had all the expense (incl $3k C-section) if you get no live pups?

And do you have the knowledge, $$$ and time if you end up with pups and a dead bitch?

Please be honest with your answers - be honest with yourself.

If you answer (to yourself) all of the above, and still want to go ahead, then pls do research, research and more research so you are prepared.

And one last thought - You love your dog, and you breed a litter.  You put your heart and soul in to raising a litter of happy healthy babies.  You spend time making sure you find them homes where they will be loved and looked after.   You then find out the person who bought the bundle of joy you bought in to the world lied to you and is going to do something you did not want them to do and they agreed that they wouldn't.  How would you feel?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Ok so my girl is perfectly healthy . It was a price difference as to pup only or for her to come with main. Which when i realised what was going on they wanted an extra 3000 for the papers. That is why I am asking the question as to what exactly it fully means. She is perfectly healthy. Beautiful tempament and for their hormones preferred to have a maximum of 2 litres which I only wanted to give her one before having her desexed. It was the massive price difference as to whether I wanted to go ahead with it and what it fully meant 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Technically, there is nothing that can stop you breeding with your girl - you just won't be able to paper her pups with a recognised pedigree. No responsible owner of a papered male will likely allow you to use their male for breeding with her either.

Frenchies are notorious for having issues with giving birth, with a high number requiring caesarians, which are very expensive and give no guarantee of live pups or even mum at the end of it all. Are you willing to put her through that? I'm not sure which hormones you are referring to with regards to making her have pups that will be more positive for her than to be desexed and not have to go through all the hormonal changes that could increase the risks of pyometra or mammary cancers later in life...

Just because she is a pretty girl with a nice nature, doesn't mean she will pass any of that onto pups either.

T.

• Like 3

I think the OP  means “ pet only” not pup only .

Which means the breeder clearly sold the dog as a pet only not for breeding .

Without you health testing you actually can’t claim fully healthy for breeding .

Breeding Frenchies is expensive so if the massive price difference shocked you then you better be prepared for the breeding bills and health testing bills .

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 3