Kennel cough. Codeine not really helping cough

We're day 3 of Hugo's canine cough. He's on antibiotics (he had a high temp) and codeine for his cough.  The codeine really isnt doing much (hes prescribed 30mg morning and night). He's coughing (often with big globs of mucus) multiple times an hour. I haven't had any significant sleep since it started so feeling rough myself! (thankfully hubby was home this morning so took over nurse duties for a few hours so I could get some sleep)   Any tips for helping his cough or is it just time?  He's got a week of antibiotics and codeine. 

Thanks 

12 minutes ago, fiveplusone said:

We're day 3 of Hugo's canine cough. He's on antibiotics (he had a high temp) and codeine for his cough.  The codeine really isnt doing much (hes prescribed 30mg morning and night). He's coughing (often with big globs of mucus) multiple times an hour. I haven't had any significant sleep since it started so feeling rough myself! (thankfully hubby was home this morning so took over nurse duties for a few hours so I could get some sleep)   Any tips for helping his cough or is it just time?  He's got a week of antibiotics and codeine. 

Thanks 

something sounds wrong.  Codine?  I'm used to Benadryl being recommend.  Then others saying honey water works as well, particularly Manuka honey.  And the KC I've seen was dry, not mucusy.  I'd ask your vet (or the vet nurse).  KC doesn't respond to antibiotics... they're not usually prescribed unless there's a secondary bacterial infection.

Edited by sandgrubber

I'm with Sandgrubber . KC is an irritation of the trachea mainly, and bronchioles - and so has a dry irritating cough , usually mucous free. Antibiotics may mean he has a chest infection on top of/stemming from , the KC :( , as mucous  also suggests. I'd possibly be checking with the vet again , mentioning the muck he's coughing up. 

Vet knows about the mucus, he was coughing it up the whole night before.  Antibiotics because he had a high temp, so she's covering him for infection. We've got a strain of KC going around Adelaide at the moment and what he has seemed to fit with what they were seeing in the area. Codeine is a cough suppressent. 

Edited by fiveplusone
  • Like 1

There's a couple of meds depending on what the vet decides but one dries up mucous and one is an expectorant and loosens it up. I'd have a grizzle to the vet about it and see what they can add to help. Codeine is ok, but I've never had exceptional results on it's own.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rory has been like this and was on a Lintol Cough Mixture which has Codine in it but also some other stuff. I have heard of Benadryl being used often in dogs and just waiting on my vet to call me back for dose on that. Rory has been diagnosed with Acute Bronchitis not KC as we did some exploratory xrays etc but means this will be a reoccurring thing. Hope the antibiotics work but just make sure if you are using non vet prescribed medication they don't contain flavours and colours or other things that dogs cannot tolerate and that the dose is right for dog's weight.

Just came back from my Vet a couple of days ago.  My dog has KC.  He didn't have a temp. but was coughing all night with bits of mucus as well.

Vet gave him codeine.  We gave him 2 tablets on 1st night . Next day we gave him 2 tabs in the morning & 2 at night.  Now back to 2 at night & the cough is almost gone.   He is a 50kg dog.

Vet said it could take up to 10-14 days to get rid of the KC.

Generally Kennel Cough sounds a lot worse than it actually is... I saw a lot of it when I worked in rescue, and as such it doesn't freak me out any more... *grin*

Sometimes we get a bit overzealous with prescribing treatments for Kennel Cough because it is more distressing for us to see/hear them coughing like that than the actual effect on the dog in question. Personally, I tend to only be concerned if they develop a respiratory infection, evidenced by yellow or green snot/mucous, or the dog is very young (under 6 weeks old) or older (over 10 years). The cough usually only lasts for around 2 weeks, and most dogs deal with it and recover perfectly fine without medical intervention.

The only thing to remember with Kennel Cough is that it is contagious still for up to 2 weeks AFTER the symptoms go away... you need to NOT take your dog out and about for at least 2 weeks after all symptoms have gone to make sure you aren't spreading it about for other dogs to catch.

T.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/03/2021 at 2:27 PM, fiveplusone said:

Thanks all. The last hour he's coughed less and hasnt been bringing up the mucus when he does so fingers crossed the medication just needed a few doses to work

All healed and thriving now?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/06/2021 at 8:56 PM, ANI1 said:

All healed and thriving now?

Hi, Yep he came through the KC great. Took a good 2-3 weeks though.  He's had a rough patch lately, he recently had a nasty abcess from his vaccination site. Poor old man.