Flea and tick medications are killing our dogs

asal

This is a facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/475356950059066/?__cft__[0]=AZV6X4TZIQa4w3IJlXI4b6kG0WL2964O2iUWuOgH3YHPquYu_DdBjpXqsEcr0fsCpU4Mn4DL5T2n6R8dh8oWt0FmuBBO4oHF-y7exy4Kr93SkzT5yU68c90cimMlJDpKjIBIpHM4zKYKmwdR8QpHxbv5pXhRwjOaLLrkedCmciLWdTeskprE7nhmf50DmFfywsvJZ78OS6OsqP8BzhfBLWXzt2Tnk1QUwBEbnIH3PP621g&__tn__=R]-R

I am hearing weekly now of dogs dying from being treated for ticks

Bravecto, Nexguard and Simparica can be deadly

Just one of the posts there

"

Here is the updated data on the reported adverse side effects from the class of drug responsible for our Benji’s suffering of seizures so debilitating that we had to put him down. These numbers are USA only, there are many more to be added from the Europe, Australia, Canada etc. you get the picture right. Please share this! If we can prevent even one more senseless death like Benji’s it’s worth it!! The trauma and pain for families and their pets is unbelievable. This has to be stopped!!
No photo description available.

1. Unless those are verified reports, I'd be skeptical.

2. How many Ozzie dogs would die of paralysis ticks if not protected?

3. Be aware that the data are for a 33 year period.

4. How do you know the drugs causing problems weren't counterfeit knock-offs?

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 4

Correlation is not causation. Just because one event follows another does not mean the first caused the second. 
Also, the reported adverse effects and the time intervals between dose and effect are very variable in these reports, which makes it difficult to evaluate properly. 
Perhaps it is similar to ivermectin, some animals with a particular genetic makeup don’t tolerate it?  
If I gave my dog tick meds and 3 weeks later they got really sick, my first thought would not be the tick meds. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Snook said:

I have a friend whose dogs all got sick after all being given the same flea or tick treatment at the same time. One had to be rushed off to the emergency vet because they reacted more severely than the other two dogs and there was no question that it was the treatment that was the cause. O

Were the meds bought online from a discount seller?  I have no idea of how widespread counterfeits are, but I can believe they're causing a lot of problems.

Edited by sandgrubber
Correct autocorrect
  • Sad 1

Why dont they add the number of dogs who have passed away at the hands of a tick? I have been using Nexgard for donkey's years with no ill effect & absolutely no trouble with ticks.  I do however don't over dose my dogs.  I buy the largest dosage & divide it in two so my two 25 kilo dogs are getting just the right amount

• Like 3

It is so scary :(
 We are very fortunate here - no ticks , and only the rabbit fleas in Summer to worry about (permethrin sprays or locally dabbed on malawsh) Advantage for puppies with no ill effects . 
I think I would be a panicky dog owner if I lived in a tick area  :(

• Like 1