Back Leg Problem

I have two Westies, Sydney and Shelby, both girls and sisters and 18 months old.  I’ve noticed when Shelby walks her back legs go in circles and when she runs they flap outwards. She’s not very good at jumping, I have to lift her up if she wants to get on the settee or chair. She’s smaller than her sister, Sydney and very loving where Sydney is more independent, her ears have never stood up either, is her back legs problem due to her breed or is she just unfortunate to have this problem.

010406FE-B68C-4402-AF6E-B5B30BAFB73E.jpeg

I would see a vet, and if they aren’t able to help you have her assessed by a rehab vet. Even if it were common in a breed, that doesn’t make it normal for a dog. Something looks off just from the way she’s sitting IMO.

Lifting dogs up and down is a good idea regardless. Less accumulative stress on joints. :) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sydney - Shelby said:

is her back legs problem due to her breed or is she just unfortunate to have this problem.

Breed should have nothing to do with it :(  She is most unfortunate to have such a problem, and I would also advise seeing a vet so you can find out what is going on. Video what happens when she walks/runs- to show the vet ...and  it may be a good plan to buy a couple of ramps for use with the car/couch etc . Have you asked her breeder at all ?

• Like 3

Best to consult a vet about it. There are 2 things that spring to mind, one of which is sadly fairly common in small breeds, luxating patella (sloppy knee joints) and in Westies, “Legg Calve Perthes” which is a condition that affects the ball of the hip joint and is quite painful & debilitating if not diagnosed & treated. 
pit might be neither of those things, either of those things, one of those things, or none of them, but unless your dog is examined by a vet, you can’t guess. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scratch said:

Best to consult a vet about it. There are 2 things that spring to mind, one of which is sadly fairly common in small breeds, luxating patella (sloppy knee joints) and in Westies, “Legg Calve Perthes” which is a condition that affects the ball of the hip joint and is quite painful & debilitating if not diagnosed & treated. 
pit might be neither of those things, either of those things, one of those things, or none of them, but unless your dog is examined by a vet, you can’t guess. 

Ditto this ^^^

T.

• Like 2