Breed Recommendations

Lhok

Hey all! I am back, after a long time away I am in need of the DoL brains trust! 

As I am looking to get another dog, one that would be good for animal assisted therapy, in a clinical sense not assistance dog work. Currently we have a lab but would like something to be smaller to medium sized. Non drooling, not super bouncy or overly friendly, kinda in the middle would like interaction but not hyper in your face kinda deal but also not chilled to the point of not wanting to interact. No aggression either as the dog will need to be able to work around other dogs, people etc. Grooming isn't a super concern as I would be taking the dog to a professional groomer. 

So far the suggestions have been cav king charles and whippets, but I would love to see what the dol brains trust thinks! 

Most of the Standard Schnauzers I’ve dealt with tend to have a middle ground sort of personality. A sensible purposeful mindset without the working dog hype. 

Possibly Shetland sheepdog from the right lines. Some can be overtly timid but I’ve met some fabulous ones too. 

Oh I wouldn't have thought of Havenese, Smooth Collies, or Standard Schnauzers, I'll have a look at them. I'm not sure about the beagle, I know they would be great at it but I don't know how well I would go with training them, although they are super smart I haven't had a lot of experience with hounds, but I will still give them a look over. 

2 more from outside the box. One of my favourite breeds the Tibetan Terrier. A sturdy affable dog on the bigger side of small, really only terrier by name. The Lowchen too possibly. 
if you’d consider a small dog I’d take a serious look at the Papillion 

Std Schnauzers are a true working dog ,good temp is due to great owners .

yes they are good therapy dogs but that isn’t a given .

They need there outlet time and mental stimulation.

Soft Coated Wheaton Terriers could work .

Petit Bassett Griffen Vendeen.

I guess it also comes down to the people it’s needing to cope and an adapt too 

A lot of good suggestions .. I would just put in another vote for a Havanese.   The ones I've known sre owned and in one case, bred, by friends.   They seem to vary a bit in the brain department .. one delightful, though rather goofy boy, and one super smart, but equally delightful female in one family.  They are lovely friendly dogs, and really don't seem too much worried by other animals ..my cat was born and raised in a house with a Havanese,  My impression is that they don't tend to be barky., and the ones I've met have been really pleased but not OTT to meet people of all sorts.  I see that grooming is not an issue, but they can be trimmed to an easy care pet coat.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

Std Schnauzers are a true working dog ,good temp is due to great owners .

yes they are good therapy dogs but that isn’t a given .

They need there outlet time and mental stimulation.

Soft Coated Wheaton Terriers could work .

Petit Bassett Griffen Vendeen.

I guess it also comes down to the people it’s needing to cope and an adapt too 

Basically we work with Anxiety, Depression, PTSD in adults and children. We also work with people on the spectrum and therefore the dog in question needs to be as close to rock solid with these behaviours as can be. We also work in a variety of situations as well, so I guess the closest thing I can think of would be the delta therapy dogs although not quite the same as them.

Having said that  I'm thinking the guardian nature of the Std Schnauzer might make it less of a candidate. 

Thanks for the suggestions of the Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier and the Petit Bassett Griffen Veneen, although I am not sure how hound like the PBGV is but I will still look into them. :)

• Like 1

I’m not sure about breeds, although I’d add Miniature Schnauzers and Clumber Spaniels to the list of possibilities. However, if I had such specific requirements I’d see if I could find a breeder who was looking to rehome a retired show dog, rather than gambling that a pup would grow up to be suitable for the job.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
  • Like 3

Check out Bergamasco if you don't mind a sensory wonderland for a coat. Otherwise, don't forget Basset Fauve de Bretagne as well. The dwarf scent hounds are usually sociable and easy going, but can be a little like "Shh, I'm busy right now." if something else has their attention. I think comparable to a Beagle but more neutral evil than chaotic evil. 

I second Lowchen. Not sure about TTs, I've only met one that was a bit on the bouncy side. We have American Hairless Terriers now, which might be worth looking at. 

4 hours ago, corvus said:

Check out Bergamasco if you don't mind a sensory wonderland for a coat. Otherwise, don't forget Basset Fauve de Bretagne as well. The dwarf scent hounds are usually sociable and easy going, but can be a little like "Shh, I'm busy right now." if something else has their attention. I think comparable to a Beagle but more neutral evil than chaotic evil. 

I second Lowchen. Not sure about TTs, I've only met one that was a bit on the bouncy side. We have American Hairless Terriers now, which might be worth looking at. 

Probably not the Bergamasco, I don't think I could handle the dreads nor would most people be able to that come to the clinic, interesting breed though. 

Shedding isn't too much of a concern, given any dog we get will be professionally groomed and brushed in between grooming sessions. The clinic dog beds and what not also get cleaned weekly and of course the clinic gets cleaned every day. Having said that coats that can be clipped into a shorter coat so they don't bring in a lot of debris would be preferred if they have a longer coat. We do have a lab already, but we would also like a smaller dog because even though he is awesome some people are still not sure with his size.

A Tibetan Spaniel could be the right dog for you.  Yes they shed (twice yearly drop mostly) but they do not have doggie odour, their silky coat is very tactile and they inspire gentleness in all, even the rambuctious toddler at the dog park yesterday.  Although small they are sturdy of bone for a little dog, and some like my girl are social butterflies.  Like @dogsandthemob said a retired show dog could be perfect for you.  My girl would love a job like that, sadly for my social butterfly she is stuck with our hermit household lol

• Like 2

I second Wiz's Mum's suggestion of a Tibetan Spaniel ('Tibbie').  Their breed traits make them excellent therapy dogs.  My first Tibbie, Angel, was selected in the first 5 therapy dogs for a children's hospital.  The university behaviourist overseeing the program, said that her breed got her onto the short-list.  Angel was assigned to a young boy with a terminal illness with palliative care at home.  The two became so close, loved peacefully chilling out together.  Tibbies seem to know how to adjust to the emotional needs of their 'person'.  They're little Zen dogs.

Tibbie boy next door has had no special training, but he's devoted to his dad who has a number of severe illnesses.  My own Tibbie, Annie, is like Wiz's Mum's girl...she has love to give all.     

Edited by mita