Bowel problems

Dogbert

Hi all, looking to see if anyone else has had this experience with pointers. 

I am a first time English Pointer owner but not new to dogs. My pup is five months old (M). He seems to have a lot of diarrhea quite often. He is on a good premium diet of biscuits and Hills Science puppy food. When this first occurred it was after I gave him a marrowbone. Never had a problem with this with other pups but I guess it was too rich for him. vet checked him out, seemed fine otherwise, gave me some really bland food for him and some probiotics. 

A couple of days later his stool returned to normal solid consistency. Then I started him on some new dry food and the Hills tinned puppy food. While I know that it can take a couple of days to get used to new foods, he has had the runs now for four days. I've never known a dog to have such a crystal gut. I've never had issues before with leftovers, bones, or change in diet. Other than this he seems fine and energetic except for currently he is a bit depressed because he has been sleeping outside all night for the last few nights so I don't have to clean up runny poo off the floor. 

So has this been anyone else's experience with Pointers? I am just trying to find out if this is a common breed specific thing and see how others have dealt with it. 

Also, he seems to sleep a lot, is that normal for Pointers as well? 

Did you ask the breeder ?

One of the reasons unless in the dogs best interests to follow the diet sheet the breeder gives and marrowbones are the worst for dogs full stop ,full of marrow and to hard on the teeth .

Then add another diet change your pups gut is just hit a brick wall and will dehydrate quickly.

Go to strict bland pumpkin and Turkey and reintroduce the breeders suggested diet slowly 

Added with the turfed outside the pup is having the raw end of the deal .

• Like 2

A bit depressed/sleeping a lot, and diarrhoea all point to a puppy who is unwell.  Four days is a long time , he should see a vet , Pups dehydrate quickly, and other things can gain a foothold.  
Doesn't matter if he's a pointer or a mixed breed. 
The vet may  suggest a bland diet such as boiled chicken/rice for a few days, then GRADUALLY ease into whatever you want to feed. Canned food can often cause loose stools. 
Hopefully some meds will also be prescribed. It is so easy for youngsters to pick up bugs .

Ok, "outside" in the case of our house is an extension of the house that's sheltered and comfortable, but has access to the rear yard. Not going to feel bad for not having a dog inside that is going to go to the toilet everywhere, especially with young children. Also, he gets walked two x daily so not sure how he has the raw end of any deal. As I have said, never had an issue before with giving dogs marrow bones at about this age. 

The dietary change was on instruction from the vet. I would prefer to make his food myself but the vet told me to use a high quality commercial feed until twelve months. There is no breeder instructions, and I can't get hold of the person we got him from. He is not dehydrated, he gets plenty of water which is constantly checked. He is also eating fine. As for being depressed, probably too strong of a word...what I meant was he is sooking basically because he is used to being inside at night on the couch. 

I was really just looking for, as I mentioned clearly in my post, whether sensitive stomachs was a breed specific problem which anyone else had encountered. Other than the diarrhea he seems fine. Just got him up a little while ago for his morning walk and he is energetic. Just waiting now to check his bowel movement when he has it to see if its hardened up a little. 

I don't know anything about pointers but some dogs, no matter what the breed it usually like, can have sensitive stomachs. Pity you can't get hold of the breeder but so be it. Is there a breed club you can reach out to? You will get lots of advice about feeding from everyone. Vets don't get a lot of nutrition training. I have my large breed pups on adult dry from 3 or 4 months old., plus raw. I'd caution taking your pup on walks until the diarrhea is cleared up. You don't want to spread it to other dogs and it's hard to clean up! Hope things improve quickly for you all.

• Like 3

What are you giving him for treats?  One of my dogs, BC, couldn't tolerate dried liver as a pup & just the one little bit was enough to give her the scoots.  She grew out of it, but I still use dried liver sparingly. One of my other dogs would get dreadful scoots after being to the beach, either from drinking too much salty water or from picking up rubbish on the side.  I found Slippery Elm was my best friend & it worked wonders.  What has the vet said? (sorry if I have missed that somewhere)

• Like 5

I’d speak to your vet again. They might recommend a different diet or want to run more tests. You don’t have to buy food from them. They might not recommend a diet that they typically stock anyway.

If you really want to home cook you could ask for a referral to a veterinary nutritionist. Then you can ensure you are feeding a diet that is complete and balanced, which is especially important for growing pups.

Do we get a photo as Dog Tax? :laugh:

• Like 2